Other correspondence chess sites?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
simbathelion

Other correspondence chess sites?

Post by simbathelion » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:12 am

I've done a quick search, but I can't find any other free correspondence chess sites. Does anyone know any free ones, which aren't just a trial, and don't have limits like only being able to play five games at once?

Don't worry, I'm not leaving net-chess though :) !!!

Thanks!

~~Simba

wulebgr

Post by wulebgr » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:48 am

The limits at some other sites become less restrictive, or go away completely, after a player completes a set number of games.

GameKnot has restrictions even for paying members--but these are 100+--non-paying members are limited to twelve, and only the after a certain number of wins. At some of the other sites--ChessManiac, for example--not all the games are correspondence paced.
Wulebgr

“From a fish’s point of view, a wulebgr is a leech.”

simbathelion

Post by simbathelion » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:08 am

I've tried Gameknot, but I'd like to play a lot more than 6-12 games at once. Chessmaniac doesn't let me sign up at the moment, I made a topic about it in this forum, it keeps telling me my e-mail address is invalid... Also it seems to have the number of members stuck at 11083 for the past few days, implying that no-one else can sign up either. Does anyone know what's wrong with chessmaniac?

simbathelion

Post by simbathelion » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:01 pm

Never mind, I've subscribed to a site for $19.95 a year which isn't that bad, so it doesn't matter any more. Thanks anyway :) ...

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:22 pm

Have you joined both IECG and ICCF yet??

Both are free and well organised

I'm a member at IECG and i'm slowly working my way up the rating system i think i'm up to just under half my rating here now ;)

IECG run thematics once a month as well as annual cup tournaments which anyone can enter. You can also enter matchs in your current rating section at any time too.

simbathelion

Post by simbathelion » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:09 pm

IECG looked complicated, there was a lot to read through and I'm lazy :lol: ...

Ah well, thanks mate, I'm sorted now ^_^ ...

You say you come from NW England? Whereabouts in the NW? I'm from near Manchester :) ...

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:34 pm

simbathelion wrote:IECG looked complicated, there was a lot to read through and I'm lazy :lol: ...

Ah well, thanks mate, I'm sorted now ^_^ ...

You say you come from NW England? Whereabouts in the NW? I'm from near Manchester :) ...
Manchester aint in the true NW ;)

I live in West Cumbria.

You can pretty much ignore reading alot of the IECG stuff you get to do a tutorial style game first to learn how to record times properly which is preety much all the important stuff you need to know really

stejam

Post by stejam » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:53 pm

If you're looking for a good chess site that has free unlimited games and a choice of opponents to suit every chess level (novice - expert), then give Stan's NetChess a try! This site also has tournaments (some are for members only but not all of them). Board graphics are good, and logging into the site is easy.
So give it a go and enjoy!

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:35 pm

there is also Queen Alice chess too att http://www.queenalice.com