so which browser r u using

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.

which browser r u using

ie
40%
others
60%

Total votes: 15

chessonly

so which browser r u using

Post by chessonly » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:04 am

Just curious, what my fellow chess players r using.
r they still stuckwith IE or hav they awitched to an alternate browser like firefox or opera.
just in case u don't know tabbed browsing is rather necessary for correspondence chess players .

ghorn

Post by ghorn » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:13 am

I am using Firefox and Thunderbird. Firefox has problems with some sites I go to forcing me to use IE for them. Most of those don't use Sun Java, but need to use MS virtual machine. Thunderbird beats Outlook for a mail/news program. I also got rid of MS Office. Now I use Open Office. :D

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:13 am

hmm 51 views, 4 alternate browser users (including me).
i think i can safely assume the rest(40) 'viewers' were IE users :(
and to them i strongly recommend to dump IE.
i mean can u imagine opening 20 boards at once ,?huh?
obviously no .
i hav atleast 8 tabs opened while i am surfing on my opera. and 28 with when playing cc. IMagine!
so download either opera or firefox , u won't regret it.
and thats coming from a true chess player :D

cornstalk

Microsoft Sucks

Post by cornstalk » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:24 pm

I detest Microsoft and its badly designed, poorly documented, one-size-fits-all software. At home I run Linux. To access this site I use Konqueror. At work, where I have no choice but to use a Windows 2000 machine, I use Firefox. It is more secure than Internet Explorer, which repeatedly allows my machine to be infected by adware.

Today I am at my son's house, where I am writing this using Firefox from a Mac OS X machine.

jpettit

Post by jpettit » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:24 pm

I'm such an idiot when it comes to this technology stuff. So, yeah, I'm using IE, but sounds like I shouldn't be!

What exactly I'm missing/not getting with Explorer that these other ones offer (besides, as Cornstalk notes, a chance to hit back at the Microsoft monopoly)?

vladislavk

Post by vladislavk » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:13 pm

Netscape 7.2. IE is slower and is full of security holes.

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:12 am

I'm such an idiot when it comes to this technology stuff. So, yeah, I'm using IE, but sounds like I shouldn't be!

What exactly I'm missing/not getting with Explorer that these other ones offer

No problem i am no geek either.
what r u missing ,well everything.
to name a few..
1 tabbed browsing -remember when u had to open 15 boards at once
2 mouse gestures (HIghly Highly Highly recommended)
3 speed
4. in built and custom searches(google ebay price comparison lycos etc)
5.opera specific - inbuilt email client , irc chat client , panels

6. rss feeds
7.customizable keyboard shortcuts
8.extreme customization - buttons toolbars
9.cache handling -opera's cache handling is supreme . For example it takes only 500 bytes is all that is required to open a board at net chess.com(the rest is taken from the cache).

nifty things like zoom putting images off or from the cache ,adblocking in forefox , pop up blocker , a notes panel, find as u type
There r plenty more but this shld be enough for now

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:26 am

Just in case u r thinking u don't need tabbed browsing, here's something
from

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/11/23 ... /index.php

For end-user features, Microsoft is looking at better ways to manage favorites and tabbed browsing, a feature to improve the browsing experience by consolidating multiple Web pages into a single window organized with tabs, Schare said. "Basically making IE a more functional and feature rich browser," he said. Firefox and other browsers that compete with IE already offer tabbed browsing.

wulebgr

Post by wulebgr » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:52 am

I switched to Firefox when RSS feeds became available here on SlowChess, but I still use Internet Explorer from time to time because Firefox has poor support for pdf files and seems to function poorly at ftp sites.

The RSS feeds help a lot when I have too many games, as now.
Wulebgr

“From a fish’s point of view, a wulebgr is a leech.”

echamberlain

I use IE

Post by echamberlain » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:20 pm

I use IE for two reasons. 1. I have yet to meet a site I cannot view with ie. 2. Because IE is built into Windows, I would have to keep it updated anyway. I use Windows at home and in my home based business because it is compatible with just about any program I might need to use. For example, in my MLM company we all use the paid or free version of task plus calender. (The only difference is that the free version has a banner at the top which displays ads that you download at the time you receive the software. Nothing is sent from your computer to the company or anywhere else.) I need to use task plus so that I can instruct my downline in the use of task plus so that everyone on our team is following the same system and anyone can help anyone else. My point is that it's highly likely for a business person to need to run a program available only for Windows or Mac. It's highly unlikely for a business person to need to run a program available only in Linux.

What we need is to allow Microsoft to be installed on no more than 40% of all computers sold, allowed to have only one business, its OS, not be allowed to charge for anything any developer of application software may need to insure compatibility and functionality, and not allowed to build application software such as email clients or search engines, into its OS.

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:42 am

I use IE for two reasons. 1. I have yet to meet a site I cannot view with ie.
That's obvious ,since all sites r made for IE.no reason to use IE
2. Because IE is built into Windows, I would have to keep it updated anyway.
So u wld use anything that u have to keep updating no matterr how crap.

and echamberlain i read in another post abt u complaining abt signing in twice. That's no problem for me, because in my opera i need to click a single button or 'mouse gesture' to log in.

echamberlain

browsers

Post by echamberlain » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:15 pm

In regard to my complaint in another thread, I never intended to suggest that the problem of signing in was major. It was a very minor annoyance, and people were able to help me, which was very nice. I had my firewall not allowing cookies. When I signed in with the relevant box checked and cookies allowed, I found that it has not been necessary to sign in again. Presumably, when I clear my cookies, I will have to log in again.

It just hit me that the issue of updating IE is not a big deal because it is taken care of when I update Windows automatically.

I don't see why you feel that the fact that all sites are made for ie is no reason to use that program, but I'm glad you like Opera. I think I will try Firefox.
Last edited by echamberlain on Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

echamberlain

Mozilla

Post by echamberlain » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:12 pm

I just installed Firefox a few minutes ago and so far I like it very much.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:37 am

I've never used IE as my primary browser, but I've always had to keep it around to view some sites that didn't work in my browser of choice (since Firefox came around there are very few sites that don't work with it). The reason I never used IE is that it attempts to hide too much stuff from the user by not showing true error messages, or the true location of an image/page, etc. As a web developer I need to see those things, but ordinary users do not.

Firefox is a great browser, it has way many more features than IE. But, again, ordniary users aren't likley to even notice the extra features let alone make good use of them. So for most people I recommend they stick with IE if that's what they're used to and they don't do a whole lot of surfing anyway. But for those who live in the web browser, anything but IE is better.

The reason Firefox has so many more features is that they've made it relativley simple to write a plug-in for the browser. Plugins can also be written for IE, but doing so is a very painful process. As a result there are thousands of plugins available to make your browsing experience easier. A lot of the "big" plugins have similar counterparts in IE (e.g. tabbed browsing, RSS feeds, etc). So to really get any benifit out of using Firefox, you really have to use it a lot, and in ways "normal" people don't use a browser.

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:39 am

May I ask, what is the main reason for using FireFox instead of IE?
to mail do not "mail" too Image

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:04 am

The reason Firefox has so many more features is that they've made it relativley simple to write a plug-in for the browser.
WRONG
u obviously haven't tried opera, it's free for use but with an ad-banner. Have u ever wondered where do v get all those ideas for extensions (mouse gestures, notes) in firefox. It has tonnes of features, infact hardcore firefox fans agree that firefox without its extensions is no match for opera. In other words firefox without the proper extensions is crap.
So to really get any benifit out of using Firefox, you really have to use it a lot, and in ways "normal" people don't use a browser.
again wrong :cry:

What can say (no use pointing out more features like adjusting screen width to eliminate horizontal scrollbar) - just get opera, try it for 14 days(ad-free) explore its features and then even opening IE will be torture. then if u want to stay ad-free, pay(or crack:wink: ) or get firefox and download the extentions to replicate opera's features which it does quite perfectly

And didn't u ppl read my last post - IE is taking the opera firefox way too(tabbed browsing) ,so sticking with IE is a disaster , even for 'normal users'