How many minutes do you spend on a move here in SlowChess?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
ramprasad

How many minutes do you spend on a move here in SlowChess?

Post by ramprasad » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:48 pm

All:

I understand that this is a very open-ended question, and just one answer won't always apply. Still, I am hoping to learn and pick-up some good correspondece chess habits. From time to time, I am guilty of playing a move with only a cursory look at the position.

So I am asking all of you, (esp. those who have achieved 2300+) what is your routine in how you approach making moves? Do you always analyse and keep a few alternatives ready?

Thanks,
Ram

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:08 am

occasionally if i spot a killer sequence or a bunch of forcd moves (usually exchanges) i'll use the notes section to leave my self a reminder of what to play next

generally i just play the moves as and when i look at the board and the amount of time i spend on each moves varies depending on the poistion.

early on i'll move more or less immediatly if its an opening i recognise and know how to play, but later on i cna take several minutes per move

neric

Post by neric » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:46 pm

People are playing much too fast. These games are not blitz games, but most are treating them just like blitz. The number of gross blunders is extremely high for "correspondence chess".

About the question, it depends of course. If you are familiar with the opening you can play very fast. If you find a forced sequence you can play fast as well. If you opponent makes a move you didn't expect you should not answer immediately though.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:32 pm

In a complicated position I'll routinley spend 1/2 hour working through various lines.

wulebgr

Post by wulebgr » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:43 pm

neric wrote:People are playing much too fast. These games are not blitz games, but most are treating them just like blitz. The number of gross blunders is extremely high for "correspondence chess".
Exactly.

I only race through the moves when playing familiar openings, or when the game is proceeding along predicted lines. Flaws in my predictions, combined with the speed accounts for most of my losses.

My rating occasionally rises above 2300 because I play here the way I play true correspondence chess:
1. I try new openings only after book preparation, and move slowly through these. In openings I'm more familiar with, I'll play faster.
2. I limit my number of games (although I still play too many at once--as many as 25 or so).
3. I'll log in repeatedly, but make no moves. I also transfer most games to a PGN database, where the board is larger, and there are no practical limits to the notes and variations I can add to the game score.
4. In complex positions, I may spend hours--over several days--on a single move.
5. I create databases of the games of some of my opponents. Sometimes I play through these to get a sense of his or her style. Sometimes I'll let Fritz create training exercises out of a batch that I then use for tactical training.

In addition, I play a lot of 3 0, 5 0, 15 2, and 20 0 chess on several servers. I get my speed fix, and some pattern recognition--basic tactics and openings--that way.

On slowchess, I prefer to play relatively fast games (by corr. standards)--7-10 days, plus 1-2 days per move. I'm often short of time in these games--2 days remaining.
Wulebgr

“From a fish’s point of view, a wulebgr is a leech.”

ramprasad

Post by ramprasad » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:50 pm

wulebgr wrote:

5. I create databases of the games of some of my opponents. Sometimes I play through these to get a sense of his or her style. Sometimes I'll let Fritz create training exercises out of a batch that I then use for tactical training.
How do you use Fritz to create training exercises, Wulebgr?

Thanks
Ram

wulebgr

Post by wulebgr » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:31 am

ramprasad wrote: How do you use Fritz to create training exercises, Wulebgr?

Thanks
Ram
In the game window:
Tools--Analysis--Full Analysis; check the box labelled training.

Fritz will not find a training exercise in every game, but often it will find several.

In the database list in Fritz, ChessBase, etc, games with a "t" among the letters in the far right column contain exercises.

The game must be saved to a ChessBase database (.cbh), or it will be erased. PGN files do not support this feature.
Wulebgr

“From a fish’s point of view, a wulebgr is a leech.”