a few questions

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
chessonly

a few questions

Post by chessonly » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:32 pm

hi i am relatively new to turn based chess(loving it :D ) and wld like to know a few things.
1. what is the diff between averating ,rating provisional .

2. y is the registration process so simple. i mean wldnt an email registration process wld keep troublemakers multiple acc holders at bay.

3.the rating seem to high .i had a rating of 1450 - 1500 in blitz at fics. and after 9 games i am already 1900.

Aother thing-
(not realted to slowchess)
does anyone know how can i use the move list at the bottom on each game in a pgn viewer like chessbase, without actually having to make each move ,(and i am not planning to cheat) its a geneal Question since i get these lists all over the net and hav no idea how to use them.

Thanks
any answers plz

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:32 pm

averating is the average rating of your opponents in all your finished games

provisonal probably just means you have not finished 20 games yet

as for a simple registration process i woudln't know about that but you do enter an email address to receive move and challenge information as well as game results etc

high ratings has been discussed alot but there is nothing much anyone can do about it really

as for PGN lists their is a view PGN move list directly above the move list at the bottom this link gives you a PGN style list which can be used in chess programs with a few alterations

wulebgr

Post by wulebgr » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:33 pm

You are provisional through 25 games, or 20 (?)--search through the FAQ and Forums, there are lots of discussions. Average rating is the average rating of your opponents (I don't think those that time-out before move ten count).

The ratings here are terribly inflated. I'm 1500 USCF, 2300 here.

You can copy the PGN data (there's a link at the bottom of the screen, or you can use the email feature), then paste in the "new board screen" in ChessBase. Copy and paste of PGN files appears to work in many other programs as well--seems as though I've used it in Chess Informant Expert or Chessmaster 7000, for example. You often must clean up some aspects of the PGN data. ChessBase automatically corrects errors in castling notation, but CIE fails to make this correction, resulting in databases full of incomplete games. (Capital O, O-O, is correct; the number 0, 0-0, is incorrect). Here at SlowChess, the game date and time used often creates a problem. Notepad works well as an intermediate step. For example, I can retrieve a player's game history from the archive search function, paste into notepad, save as a PGN file, then open the file in any of the several PGN readers on my computer.

Everything you need to know about PGN is answered in this document at the Internet Chess Club, http://www.chessclub.com/help/PGN-spec, as well as several other places on the web.

It is generally understood among correspondence players that books and databases, but not chess engines, are part of the game. Opinions seem a little more varied here. Many players have stated in the forum that they consider any kind of help from reference works to be "cheating". The site's rules do not clearly address this matter.
Wulebgr

“From a fish’s point of view, a wulebgr is a leech.”

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:13 am

thanks guys
pasting pgn in chessbase worked nice.Ttoo nice in fact, i ll hav to delete the software now.

quote::
Many players have stated in the forum that they consider any kind of help from reference works to be "cheating". The site's rules do not clearly address this matter.

And even though agree with this . i doubt how much can databases and books help in actual game situations, while y wld anyone use chess engines if they want to enjoy their game.
thxd again

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:15 am

To be honest the earlier versions of Chessbase are probably so old now that even a decent stantard of player can beat them.

The version i have is the free version which i use for my email games with IECG to see the board (all you get is a list of moves and i'm not good enough to visualise a board from their) postitions.

I think it is at least 5 years old this version and the fritz engine thingy with it is Fritz 4.01 which is way below the current version.

chessonly

few more Q's

Post by chessonly » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:38 pm

is the time really seriously considered ,i mean some 30 1 games end as fast as 3 1 games. just asking because i hav been ignoring 30d games.

lastly is this a very casual site , some games i hav won r absolutely ,,well hav a look-

http://slowchess.com/viewgame.cgi?p1=g1093161342
mind u i would hav won with f3 (i think)

but even though ,i still love playing on this simple site.

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:11 am

my clock is acting funnily .
it shows -344(minus 344) days left when there r 22 days left for me to play my move. i can play normally though while my opponents c the 22 days as the time left form me.
any ideas as to how to correct this??

ghorn

Post by ghorn » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:56 pm

It may be the time and date in system BIOS is not correct. If it is wrong set right and watch it for a while. If it changes month and year the battery on the system board may be dead. On most it is a common watch battery and easy to replace.

chessonly

Post by chessonly » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:40 am

got it.!
i had been playing with my system clock.
thanks ghorn