Memberlist

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
ghorn

Memberlist

Post by ghorn » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:22 pm

I have often wondered why there is no inactive list for this site. There are users out there that have not logged on since 2001. If they ever log back on it would seem to be easy to make them active again. We just did a clean up on our equipment and parts data base for items not ordered in 2 years. We got back 14GB of space and our catalog is now much quicker to search and sort. The items we removed are not gone just do not show up unless requested from inactive list.

muabdib

Post by muabdib » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:43 pm

That really makes sense. Cleaning the users' list from the inacitve ones. Inactive since 6 months for instance, not more. You could get back much space, Greg. I would go even further saying that the account of any user should be deleted after 6 months of absence. Thus we could get even rid of some users who left the site long ago and still being at the top of the rating list. That really doesn't make any sense.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:08 pm

Space isn't a real issue. This server has a 40Gb hard drive, of which we're using less than 10Gb. Since all of the past games are keyed on user IDs, it would be a major pain when someone joins with the same name later.

I've considered not including users who haven't logged in for six months or so in any of the lists. But I noticed some of those with high numbers log in every now and then just to keep their account "active" (even though it serves no purpose). My next idea was to only include those who have actually played a game in the last six months, or have active games, but that's just more work than its worth.

cleenders

Post by cleenders » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:43 pm

Many posts question the strange ratings here. I think, Greg, you have 2 ways to improve:
1) accept that the ratings on this site are and will be relevant only to this site: divide all of them by 91 and no one will ever want to compare them with real elo ratings.
2) implement more regulations. It is in my opinion essential that you periodically -once every 3 months- publish a list of established ratings. Inbetween people can improve on their ratings, so-called tpr's, but these tpr's become only definitive after combining all results, and doing very necessary recalculations before publication. Non-players drop down, while active players enjoy durable progress.

But reliable rating also requires more policing. For instance: Early time-outs and results against those who play themselves under various guises ought to be removed; quite a task :-)