Greg: Advanced Archive Search not working?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
jjones

Greg: Advanced Archive Search not working?

Post by jjones » Fri May 21, 2004 10:44 am

Hi Greg

I was attempting to pull all my games from the Archives(advanced search) for over a week now and I can never do it successfully. I always get the message that the "Web Page is unavailable"...I have pulled other players games as well as my games against other players and it seems to work ok.
Id really like to get all my games pulled, as I workin in a database to oput themin so I can disect them and analyze them soon...I know I have over 3,300 games to date, but Id like to pull them if at all possible?
Anything that I can do or you can do to help me in this chore?

Thanks allot :)

JEff a.k.a. "Zapper" :twisted:

muabdib

Storage space

Post by muabdib » Fri May 21, 2004 12:35 pm

Hi Greg,

could I just add a question. How much space does it take to save all the games played so far? Do you save them all, since when? Or do you delete them after a year?Are they packed and automatically zipped when you go to the archive site? Otherwise I guess it will take approx. 1 GB?

Regards
Hans

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri May 21, 2004 4:43 pm

3000 games is a lot of games, your browser/proxy server may be giving up because it takes too long for the page to come back (or did it get ZAPed?). I've put all of your games in an HTML file at http://www.net-chess.com/jjones.html. That page should load since you don't have to wait for the server to build the list.

The archive contains almost all games from the beginning. I had to delete some of the time outs on the first move, and some have been lost due to server crashes and HD crashes, but for the most part they're all there.

You can download a complete archive as of Nov 29 2003 at http://www.slowchess.com/archive.pgn.gz. Compressed it's 31Mb. Uncompressed, it's big...

jjones

Post by jjones » Fri May 21, 2004 5:07 pm

Thanks Greg!

By complete archive, you do mean ALL the games from the site ??
That is huge!!

Jeff a.k.a. "Zapper"

jjones

Post by jjones » Fri May 21, 2004 5:21 pm

Hello again;

At the risk of becoming a total PIA Is there ANYWAY to convert those htmls into a PGN or CGN format for my data base?
If not I will just have to go thhrough manually and sort them out, which I will do, just wasnt sure of there is another way...if not I will live!!
Thanks for all the help, this site is great :)

JEff aka "Zapper" :twisted:

ghorn

Post by ghorn » Fri May 21, 2004 6:38 pm

Hey Zapper I am using SCID. After getting all my games on screen I used edit to select all. Then pasted it to notepad. In notepad I got rid of all the timeout games to opp. resigned and saved the whole as a .pgn file and SCID has a program to convert that file to one it can use. Seems to work well. Just hate the editing part. You could also set the number of moves in the advaced section of archive search. I think I used ten moves.