Why did you choose to play "slow" chess?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.

Why did you choose to play "slow" chess

Poll ended at Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:53 pm

To learn to play tactical
11%
For the daily chess puzzle feast
22%
It's more comfortable playing "slow" chess
33%
To try-out new opening variations with sufficient time
No votes
Hey, chess is fun. Why the what do why, me??????
33%

Total votes: 9

tellymetwise

Why did you choose to play "slow" chess?

Post by tellymetwise » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:53 pm

I was wondering why people choose to play chess where the moves sometimes may lay days apart.

For myself, it's a welcome daily chess puzzle where I can figure out what I want to play and "when" I want to move the move.

How about you guys?

pawnder

Post by pawnder » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:28 am

I dont care if I lose in 2-10 min games anymore, as long as I know what happened,
For a game to seem important You should play slow Chess. Ive gotten a vibe that some speed players are actually interested in belittling the game,
I just play both,
I can remember still some of the games still some positions stuck in my mind I lost in long Chess thats why I like between 5-10 d +1d
I may be up for joining here soon. See you all then!
Last edited by pawnder on Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mlaurent

Post by mlaurent » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:10 am

because at job it be difficult to play 40 minutes in a game

:)

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:09 am

mlaurent wrote:because at job it be difficult to play 40 minutes in a game

thats my main reason too i cant play at work unless it is via email and those are frowned upon er well not even meant to be done work email is for work purposes only allegedly

still many people like me can end up with lots of games on the go at once and find that playing a few per day is the best approach

also i expect many are like me who is not always home every day of the week and prefers to have the ability to bank time if need be for holidays etc

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:23 am

keithstuart wrote:
mlaurent wrote:because at job it be difficult to play 40 minutes in a game

thats my main reason too i cant play at work unless it is via email and those are frowned upon er well not even meant to be done work email is for work purposes only allegedly
Reminds of a job I once had.
On the job I created a word document with drawn pieces and all with above the document just some normal regular text.
With that I played some games with a co-worker from a different floor, but after his resignation, he forgot to empty his mail-trash.
Now that was a chess blunder for me :?

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:40 pm

the reason my company dont like it is the fact that there is 10000 people at our power plant alone let alone the rest of the sites around the world

i was tld the weekly space required for new emails was 6Gb which seems enormous

mroets

Post by mroets » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:38 am

My company firewall does not allow anything other than port 80 through. That means no live chess. I read somewhere that some people have managed to tunnel through port 80, but I'm no techno wizz, and couldn't get it to work. So I take what I can get. I must admit though that I have really come to enjoy "slow" chess.

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:17 am

I wouldn't know about port 80. Maybe someone on this site can give you tips about that.

As for the term "slow" chess. I'm not quite capable of calling it correspondence chess, although the time allocation is somewhat the same.
Though compared with the regular 5-7 minutes games or maybe even 20 minutes as you can find online, this is definitly asking for different skills focusses for the game. (less from memory, more calculation and integrated strategy, much less on hidden traps)

But "slow" chess definitly is something I don't look down at. The poll options all apply in some way or the other to me, though the hunger to look at a position and dig into it a bit more so.

mmoody

Post by mmoody » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:48 pm

Net-chess allows me to get tournament quality experience--slow games--when I have little time to play in tournaments. You can have fun playing blitz on the web, but you do not really improve.

It also gives me a chance to get some experience with typical positions in openings, which comes in handy when headed to a tournament.

I find that I learn more when I have time to sit down with a board and really try to understand a position.

arlocw
Uranium

Post by arlocw » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:38 pm

I like to play all kinds of chess though playing here gives me a chance to work on my weaknesses more intensively while the games are in progress. Openings I play fairly quickly-though not well, I am studying NCO. I'm stonger in the middlegame and am working on position strategy. I'm weak in the endgame and am working on this though in my experience most games at the tournament level ususally end in resignation(pun intended).

Just my $0.02
-arlocw