I'm searching for a word

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
katchum

I'm searching for a word

Post by katchum » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:14 pm

If you touch a piece and someone says "Touché", you have to play with that piece.

But what's the word you have to say to counter the "touché" phrase in order to move another piece? You have to say this word before your opponent says "touché".

ghorn

Post by ghorn » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:47 pm

I think you are requesting to adjust a piece. The word is adjust.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:55 pm

You have to say "Adjust" or ("Je Dube") before you intentionally touch any piece.

katchum

Post by katchum » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:50 am

Je dube, mm, it sounds like it, yes, maybe it is this word. Well I don't remember it.
It's been a long time since I played in a club. I'm starting again in another chess club, hope I like it there.

Je dube, j'adouf, chadoufe, aah, this words gives me a headache.

I think they said "shadoup" yes it's that word. I didn't understand that word, I only understood touché.

gregorytopov

elusive word

Post by gregorytopov » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:06 pm

The elusive word you are looking for is:
Phloxinoxinihilpilification

muabdib

Correct is: J'adoube

Post by muabdib » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:41 am

The correct word Albert is :"J'adoube" it's french saying: "I adjust". You have to say it before touching a piece. If you first touch the piece (rule for OTB) you'll have to move it.

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:17 am

ah, but katchum's word for saying it afterwards sounded quite cool.

"shad'up" now that's something worth remembering

muabdib

Post by muabdib » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:43 am

Posted: 14 Mar 2004 18:17 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ah, but katchum's word for saying it afterwards sounded quite cool.

"shad'up" now that's something worth remembering

Yes indeed Katchum's "achoufs" "dupes" "shadups" are far more imaginative than my "J'adoube". Hey Albert, in CC and email-chess there's no achouf so don't mind if you touch a wrong piece. Your opponent will never know:-))

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:51 am

Little dessert mouse shadow,

Try placing shad'up next to shut up, and you will know why J'adoube works before touching the piece, and shad'up after you have touched the piece

katchum

Post by katchum » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:10 pm

So is it: je dube or j'adoube?

I think you could also say shut up, with a slightly altered pronunciation, but with the intention of saying it. This of course when you feel bad after a mistake, just to let your anger out.

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:17 pm

Muabdib (from Frank Herbert's Dune, see given translation of the name above) is right.

It's J'adoube.

Pronounce as: si-a dóob

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:02 pm

katchum wrote:So is it: je dube or j'adoube?
It's j'adoube. But I've never heard anyone actually use it, everyone always just says "adjust". But if you really wanted to be sinister, you could learn to say it in as many languages as possible, and never use the same language twice durring a game :twisted: . Make some languages up if you have too.

muabdib

An old postal-chess joke

Post by muabdib » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:52 am

Recently somebody told me the following chess-joke, which nobody who never played postal chess could ever understand:

Two chessplayers, one stationed at the North Pole and one at the South Pole, playing a game of postal chess.
Every few months the mail would arrive by plane with the other player's next move. Then, one month, the player at the North Pole doesn't get the expected letter. He figures the player at the South Pole didn't mail it in time, and it'll be in the next batch of mail.

A few months go by, and the letter isn't in the next batch of mail, either. A few more months, nothing. Six months go by, and finally a letter arrives from the South Pole. Excited, he tears the letter open and reads:

"J'adoube." (I adjust.)