the right spirit for playing blitz

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
mberggren

Post by mberggren » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:28 pm

Let me tell you what happend at my chessclub today. I was playing a blitzgame against a much stronger opponent, let´s just say that his rating is about 450 points higher then mine. The timelimit was 5 min, and I played very well. When both are clocks where about to run out, we had a position that was something like this one (I don´t rememder it exactly)
I had white, and the position was very much winnig for me...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
View Board

I had about 20 seconds left, and he had maybe 40.
I had played Rg7+ and Rc7+ four times, and knowing myself I said "ok... draw?" This is when it gets funny, he said "no" and played ...Rf6?? hoping that he would probably win on time.
This is what I want to ask you: Do you think it´s OK to do something like that? I thought it was not very sporting of him, but maybe I don´t have the right spirit for playing blitz...

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:25 pm

instead of Rc7+ you should have played b4!

Maybe then your opponent would be more inclined to accept draw as being sportive.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:09 pm

Some people will exploit any rule they can to win, and in blitz chess the clock is normally a significant factor (your willingness to take a draw in a won game speaks for itself). But what I don't understand is why you didn't claim a 3 move repetition. Or after 1...Rf6 2.Bxf6+ Kg8 3.Rxc6 ... 4.Rxg6, why it would take you more than 20 secs to win.

wulebgr

Post by wulebgr » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:36 pm

Winning a lost position by the clock is a reasonable strategy in blitz. I do it all the time. :twisted:

It must be said that if you view 20 seconds as time pressure, you lack the necessary spirit! :?

In the game cited, after 1...Rf6, you needed to pile-on the pinned piece with 2.Rxc6! Then, call the TD and have her add 20 seconds to your clock if your opponent attempts an illegal move. Once only the black bishop remains, you draw even if you run out of time--USCF rule 14E2.

jjones

Fair or not

Post by jjones » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:03 pm

Hi there

You raise a very interesting point..sportmanship versus competition.

In my opinion, he had the RIGHT by competition to play on, in view of you losing on time..
BUT from a sportsman, gentlemen point of view, was it "Fair" or "Correct"..NO at least not to me!

There is such a fine line between being a good sportsman and being a poor example...He should have realized you had a better position and since u repeated that position, it was the gemtlemanly thing to do!

BUT in him winning on time just because u had no more, it was a poor, poor decision on his part!

My opinion only, of course!

JEff "Zapper"

gregorgysi

Post by gregorgysi » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:29 am

Let me say it like this: If you play blitz games why do you complain about a loss by time? If you don't want to lose by time, don't play with a clock.

I can remember Kramnik vs. Leko in a RAPID chess game (without increment) He continued to play a King+rook vs. King+Bishop (the king in the "good" corner) and won by time. But: in the rapid chess rules Leko could have claimed a draw; he didn't. One could say it's unfair to win like this but: Leko could have stopped the clock and claimed a draw.
In BLITZ (under 15mins.) games you can't claim a draw by position (only if it's IMPOSSIBLE to win). If the rules are thus, it's the charakter of the Blitz-game to win by time (or mate).

BUT: in your case the game could have been a draw: you had the same position 4 times. That's enough to stop the clock and claim draw (position repetition). You didn't claim that draw correctly so he was allowed to play different.

In your case it wasn't a tournament. It was a friendly game. He could have agreed in the draw - but he doesn't have to. It would have been nice of him because he is the stronger player but he's not bound in honor to do so.

petko

Post by petko » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:07 am

Greg, I don't agree with you that if someone wants to draw won game that he is good. He can, but I don't think it is very nice of him or something. I would say he is scared or whatever reason he has. Maybe he doesnt know how to play that position.

I understand that situation, it is very often that much stronger player tries everything to win the game with his not so strong opponent (which may play his more than best that day). It is not very polite, sometimes, but it is often and it is understandable.

Imagine that you have something like a draw position, but you know you are stronger than your opponent. It is likely then that it is won position, because he will probalby make a mistake somewhere. Do you think you should accept draw? Why don't you accept draw before your first move then, it is, I think, also even position. You have the right to try your opponent's play. Of course, this should have some limits.

I have heard so many people complain about time. But people often forget that it is their choice to play slow. They could play faster, but they did not. But faster play usually means worse play.

In this case, your mistake was that you did not claim draw. I think he had right to play on, then. Maybe, if it was just a friendly match and he saw threefold repetition, he should accept draw.

hzane

hang on a second...

Post by hzane » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:12 pm

In your description you leave out a very important detail.

When were moving your rook back and forth for the checks, was his king forced to repeat the same series of moves 3 times?
Or did he dance the king around a bit? Maybe use a blockade?

If the former is true than you won.
Regardless of spirit or if he agreed or not. You forced a 3move rep. which is recognized as a draw. Case closed.
Doesn't matter who had the better position - any more than it would have mattered if you had a 30 point lead and were 2 moves from checkmate, but your flag fell first. Because in that case regardless of board position, he would have won.

The rules are the rules. The rules of clock-play and forcing draws are just as significant as the rules of setting up your pieces.

There's no spirit involved here.
Only what did or did not happen.

That's my 2 cents anyways.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:32 pm

A three move rep isn't automatically a draw unless a claim is made before making the move that would cause the possition to appear for the third time. So, had he made the claim one tempo earlier, it would have been a draw.