Openings breakdown in the Big Match tournament (#1073774159)

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
jjones

Openings breakdown in the Big Match tournament (#1073774159)

Post by jjones » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:58 pm

Hello all!

Well, it took almost all of one full day, but I broke all the games down in our big Match Tournament and have them ready for your observations here now. I will break them down by specific variations later, but I wanted to get this out so people can see what lots of us play and how the GENERAL Openings have fallen!

E4:

Here following are all the general openings that were produced by the pushing of the E pawn 2 squares forward (ohh how professionally written :lol: )

Open Sicilian: 22 Closed Sicilian: 27

King's Gambit (Acc and Dec): 14

Caro-Kann (all): 16 French Defense (all): 30

Italian Game ( all with 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4,Nc3,g3): 25

Ruy Lopez (with 3...a6): 5 without 3...a6: 2 TOTAL: 7

Pirc (Modern): 10 Scotch Game: 5

Center-Counter Defense: 6 Alekhine's Defense: 1

Petrov's Defense: 3

TOTAL E4 OPENINGS: 166 GAMES

Now, the Breakdown for the total of Openings that began with the D Pawn being pushed 2 squares forward (again, that wonderful professionally written style :) ):

Queen's Gambit Declined: 16 Semi-Slav: 1 Slav: 1

Queen's Gambit Accepted: 6 King's Indian Defense: 6

Nimzo Indian (total): 9 Queen's Indian Defense: 5

Grunfeld Defense: 3 Dutch Defense: 3

Veresov's Opening (1.d4 Nf6; 2.Bg5): 4

TOTAL D4 OPENINGS: 54 GAMES

ENGLISH OPENING (1.c4) (NO transpositions into the Indian Defenses counted):

Symmetrical English: 23 Other English: 21

TOTAL ENGLISH OPENINGS: 44

IRREGULAR OPENINGS: (These could fall into rarely played openings such as 1.h3, g4, a3 etc) : 17

FIANCHETTO OPENINGS: (Openings such as 1.g3, b3, b4, etc): 12
Games I could not include due to the fact they had not far enough to quantify them as of yet: 15

TOTAL NUMBER OF GAMES: 308

This might be of interest to some of you I hope, it was to me becasue I truly thought that there would be many more D Pawn openings, but it looks like the old school E4 definitely shined through here!
As I said, I have the openings broken down, but to group them will have to wat until next week, and I shall share that info to everyone as well!

Couple of other little intersts to ponder: The Closed Sicilian outnumbered the number of Open Sicilians!
Almost NO Ruy Lopez, BUT an overwhelming number of "Italian" Games..definitely a surprise to me!

The FRENCH DEFENSE took the most games that opened with the E-Pawn, while the QUEEN's GAMBIT DECLINED garnished the most acknowledgement form the D4 crowd! Again, very few Grunfelds, NO Benoni's, and few King's Indians! the ENGLISH OPENING did extremely well for itself indeed :)

I shall leave you all be now, but I hope this is entertaining or informative to some of you out there, it certainly was interesting to me. Look for more on this tournament soon:)

Good Chess to you all

Jeff "Zapper"