Slowchess.com????

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
tbear

Slowchess.com????

Post by tbear » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:48 pm

Wow! When I saw the new name of the site, I thought this was a bad joke. I'm not sure why that new name, but with all due respect, is that to scare people away from the site? If I was looking for a chess site on the internet like I did about 3-4 years ago when I found this site, and that the name would have been slowchess, I would have just ignored the site, thinking that the caliber of the players was ridiculous or that the site itself was very very slow. I do not have a Major in Marketing, but what a way to have people not interested in a site.

jstripes

Slowchess.com????

Post by jstripes » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:26 am

I like the new name--it is distinctive and says something about the site that I value. Correspondence chess without the correspondence. Leisurely time controls that facilitate quality chess.

If you want speed chess, try the Internet Chess Club--I go there for one minute, five minute, and when I want to "think" about my moves, fifteen minute games. Slow chess is better chess.

saemisch

Slowchess.com!!!!! Sounds good to me

Post by saemisch » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:06 am

:D Love this site! If I were looking for a "new" website for correspondence, slow would actually attract me.
There are worse names out there...let's see...The horsey's stable...Universe of loners...The sixty-four square prison...Computer-CheatingChess.com...TheNotSoStylishChessPlayer.com...FishyMovesR'Us.com...TheEvenMoreIncompleteChessPlayer.com and etc. No, I would have to say that Greg has done a fine job of selecting names for HIS website. The old one still works and slowchess.com sounds good to me.
I love to play on the ICC and that is where I get my Speed chess fix. Or at Yahoo.com games or on FICS. I would imagine that I am in agreement with most of the people who use WWW.SLOWCHESS.COM, it's a wonderful site! :D

P.S. JStripes said it all already but I had a few minutes on my hands :twisted:
P.P.S.Don't go to www.itsyourmove.com unless you want to buy a house, however if you do like shorter time control correspondence chess do check out, in addition to this fine website, www.itsyourturn.com.
:lol: Ja mata!

tbear

Post by tbear » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:00 am

you guys are missing the point I'm trying to make. I'm not talking about the quality of the site, but the name.

jstripes

Slowchess.com!!!!!

Post by jstripes » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:52 am

Perhaps I should be more clear.

I like the new name. As a matter of marketing, you must consider the target audience. Most players looking for quality chess at correspondence time controls, it seems to me, will find "slowchess" a clear descriptor of their object of pursuit. "Slowchess" may well connote server problems, or the time-out crowd to some. But I suspect more often people will make the association often made by the many non-chess players I listen to. They say, "I don't like chess, it's too slow." To which I say, "It is not for everyone. It is a thinking person's game that will still be around when you've forgotten Yu-Gi-Oh and Lara Croft."

For me slowchess connotes the sort of quality I'm looking for. My previous post did not address whether, in fact, I've found the site to be living up to these expectations. I'm a newbie here, and that one hasn't yet gone to the jury.

Perhaps someone with marketing credentials should create and run an appropriate survey. I'll wager the data will show the new name does well for its target niche.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:31 pm

I'm not sure it will scare people away, but it does inform people that if they are expecting a "fast" game, this probably isn't where they should be. And that's not necessarily a bad thing as I'm not trying to monopolize all chess playing on the Internet.

ruymoultor

Post by ruymoultor » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:05 pm

Slowchess.com is a good name, that's what Correspondence chess is. Besides net-chess might work the opposite way, tbear, bringing players who want bullet and blitz chess, stuff their obviously not going to get here =D.

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:20 pm

if they want blitz chess thy can always try and beat the server ;)

gregorytopov

slow chess?

Post by gregorytopov » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:06 pm

As a newcomer to your site, I must admit that the name slowchess.com rubbed me the wrong way too. A "slow" person suggests somebody mentally disabled, and similarly "slow chess" brings up negative images in my mind. Even though you may have something positive in mind with the name, I'm sure there are plenty of others like me for whom the name has negative connotations. For this reason, I seriously think the name needs reconsidering. If you want to emphasize the quality of slower time controls, then why not something like qualitychess.com, refinedchess.com, intelligentchess, reflectivechess.com, sensiblechess.com, steadychess.com or something like that? In many people's minds, "slow" is the very opposite of "intelligent", and so gives the exact opposite meaning of what you want to convey.

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:13 pm

Actually that is a valid point

a 'slow'person is derogatory slang in the UK for mentally challenged people

being we have personalised time settings how about playatyourownpacechess.com

birdmove

Post by birdmove » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:24 pm

I prefer the old name myself.I guess I don't really understand why the change.But this is my favorite site to play chess, no matter what the name is.

Jon Neet/birdmove

gregorytopov

more ideas?

Post by gregorytopov » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:38 pm

Here are some more ideas for domain names that reflect what you want to convey - i.e. that the longer time controls mean better quality chess:
smartchess.com
bestchess.com (my favorite so far I think - short, snappy and indicates what you want)
Cheers!

hamot

Post by hamot » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:58 pm

Sometimes I call my chess students here at school....

Chessnuts

They are too young yet to make any negative meanings out of it.

Tim