Anyone read Logical Chess Move by Move Chernev?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
makeitso

Anyone read Logical Chess Move by Move Chernev?

Post by makeitso » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:06 pm

I've seen some really great reviews of this book "Logical Chess Move by Move Chernev"

Has anyone read it?
What is your opinion?
What level player would it help most?
Any other books to recommend?

Thanks for any input.

Michael

saemisch

"LOGICAL CHESS, MOVE By MOVE" ~Irving Chernev.

Post by saemisch » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:34 am

LOGICAL CHESS: Move by move ...
Is simply excellent. Some of the things Chernev says in that book are not correct for "advanced" players but are spot on for social players and beginners. This book gives a good grounding on the basics and hammers home some of the "rules of thumb" that one should know. Should we really always play the Knights out before the Bishops? Well no...but there are reasons for this. Even Chernev states that one has to know when to break the rules and when not to.
I am a class A player by USCF rating and I don't now play in many tournaments but I am a solid A player. I love this book and really enjoy just reading it. I had the book with me on a train ride from Massachusetts to the Pacific Northwest and it was a good companion.
I highly recommend this book. It will not help Kasparov become a better player but it sure has helped me out. To put it simply, this book is a classic and is a very enjoyable read. So enjoy and cheers! -Saemisch.

jstripes

LOGICAL CHESS, MOVE By MOVE

Post by jstripes » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:14 pm

I read it in the mid-1970s. It certainly improved my chess then, and I suspect if I read it again now I could still benefit.

As for books I would recommend--because they are helping me now--Jeremy Silman's series How the Reassess Your Chess and The Amateur's Mind. I immediately bought and started reading these books when an IM (John Donaldson) recommended them a few years ago. You can see my draw against Donaldson, as well as find a link to Silman's website, if you visit http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/.

I also recommend The Art of the Checkmate by Renaud and Kahn.