Breaking down the Match, opening wise...(M1073774159)

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
jjones

Breaking down the Match, opening wise...(M1073774159)

Post by jjones » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:39 pm

Hey all...

After breaking down every opening move that was made in the Match we have going, I decided that I wanted to check out the specific openings that were involved in this tournament as well!
For now, I have broken them down into a general opening (Sicilian as a whole, not Closed Sicilian, Najdorf, Dragon, etc etc). THAT I shall do in a week or 2..but for now, this should be of interest and show other ppl what the trends are and how many openings are being practiced on this site. Granted, it is not indicitave of the whole site, but it can be a good sampling of how certain openings are preferred over others!
Keep i mind, that out of the 400+ games the numbers will not . up becasue as you have seen from the opening moves, many of the games are still not started!

The E4 openings breakdown:

Ruy Lopez: 5
Sicilian Defense: 50
Kings Gambit Accepted: 11 (Falkbeer Counter Gambit: 1)
Caro-Kann Defense: 15
French Defense: 23
2 Knights: 9
Three and 4 Knights: 4
Modern/Pirc: 11
Center Counter Defense: 9
Scotch Game: 6
Giuoco Piano: 6 (Evan's Gambit: 2 )
Alekhine Defense: 1
Petrov's Defense: 3
Vienna Game: 1

D4 Openings:

Queen's Gambit Declined: 17
Queen's Gambit Accepted: 5
Nimzo-Indian: 10
King's Indian Defense: 10
Queen's Indian: 4
Semi-slav and Slav Defense: 1
Gruenfeld Defense: 3
Dutch Defense[/color]: 3

OTHERS:

Symmetrical English: 22
1...e5 English: 9
Veresov's opening: 4
Other English: 2
King's Indian Attack: 2

IRREGULAR OPENINGS:

Latvian Gambit: 1.e4,e5; 2.Nf3, f5: 1 game
1.d4,e6; 2. e4,Nc6 : 1 game
1.e4,e5; 2.Nf3,f6: 1 game
1.b3,Nf6; 2.Bb2,g6: 1 game
1.e4,e5; 2.f3,Nf6: 1 game
1.Nf3,Nf6; 2.g3,e5; 3.Ne5: 1 game
1.g3,c5; 2.Bg2,Nc6; BC6,bc6: 1 game

Some observations of my own..The Sicilain is dominating the E pawn openings...thats to be expected. The rather odd fact is that alot of the Sicilians ( as we shall see when I break the variations downlater) is that the most popular variation is 1. e4,c5; 2.c4 VERY odd but nonetheless very popular choice in this tournament!
The D Pawn is certainly more diversified..no clear, dominant opening of choice on that side...certainly surprising we do not have more Nimzo Indian and Benoni's, but all good openings!

I hope this was interesting to you all..it certainly was to me as I spent all this time to do it :)

Soon, I will have all the games that we have started by opening and variation specific as well...that should be intersting!

Take care and good Chess!!

Jeff a.k.a. "Zapper"