Rating ceiling and floor.

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
ziggyblitz

Rating ceiling and floor.

Post by ziggyblitz » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:49 pm

This is the only site I know of that has both a rating ceiling and rating floor, probably to discourage rating manipulation through the use of multiple accounts, which are allowed. The problem is that ceiling and floors distort the ratings at both ends.
Back in 2012 on chess.com the idea of a rating ceiling was mooted but the idea was rejected and no explanation given. The only reason I can think of is that it distorts ratings near the ceiling.
Gameknot has rating floors, (set 200 below best score) probably to discourage sandbagging.
Anyway, ratings mostly fluctuate by +/- 100 or more.

abiodun

Re: Rating ceiling and floor.

Post by abiodun » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:15 am

Mmmmmm, WoW Ziggy, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seems like you have POURED a lot of thinking into this post .....
Perhaps as much as you do into your Chess Game Moves, here at Net-Chess ! ! ! .... :shock:

Either way, here's a quote I found on Google ...............

"Chess rating system. A chess rating system is a system used in chess to calculate an ESTIMATE of the strength of the player, based on his or her performance versus other players. ... The magnitude of the change depends on the rating of their opponents. The Elo rating system is currently the most widely used."

...........................................................Image..............................................

I'm sure that you were allready aware of this !

Personally .... Prior to this, I was never much aware of "CEILINGS" and/or "FLOORS" with regards to Chess Ratings !

Bottom Line ........... THANKS for STIMULATING MY BRAIN ! ! !

Maybe Our Well Schooled Site Admin. Gregg [or perhaps] some other knowledgeable member here, can add another two-cents to this thread/discussion which you have begun ? ! ? ! ???

SALUDE ! ! !
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:16 am

Yea, I had to institute a ceiling because some players had manipulated their ratings to be over a billion. I also avoid making any fuss over the highest rated players. I know it sucks, because that can be a driving factor for some to inspire people to try a little harder. But without a ceiling somewhere, the system would be completely unreliable.

The highest floor is 2000. And since it's actually pretty rare that someone would drop 200 point legitimately, I doubt the floor actually attributes much to distorting ratings.
Greg Miller

ziggyblitz

Post by ziggyblitz » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:43 pm

Once you have a reliable rating over 2300 it seems that you get a rating floor of 2100. Ramesis is one player that doesn’t have a rating floor at all for some unknown reason. However his rating performance graph is bang on target, despite several thousand time-outs.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:56 pm

You can turn off the rating floor in your profile. Looking at a lot of his time-outs they're games he would have lost anyway.
Greg Miller

jumpnmustang

Post by jumpnmustang » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Well I still look at this site as the same as other sites where the rating is accurate within it's own pool. But I will say this: I have been over 2300 here, when I am actually playing and not silly forfeiting, for years. I was 2400+ here when I was 1700-1800 uscf. Now that I am 2000+ in USCF indeed my rating jumped to 2600 here. Seems like it IS being consistent. The other side. This is the ONLY site so far that I have been able to break any form of 2300+. I don't know if the ratings being capped at what ever they are hurts. However if I personally am 400-500 points from the cap when an average FM being about 2400 USCF should be considered always at that rating range.. How do we determine true senior masters here? Is everyone who hits 2900 just going to bunch up in the top and be glad they are there? I am not strong enough to consider myself a senior master. My average skill level pretty much everywhere is of an average expert. I may also obtain a NM title soon. Which would be nice, but NM is basically 2200+. What do I do then? Be happy I am 2700+?

I don't care about ratings, except for using them what they are intended for. To be used to pair off people of like skill. Usually the skill level is that of people within a 200 point range. Granted I can "Attempt" to use this still here, but it IS difficult if I want to base my study plan off making attempts to obtain a true senior masters rating level.

Just my two cents.