Reading archives using fritz/Chessbase

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
towserone

Reading archives using fritz/Chessbase

Post by towserone » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:12 am

I would like to play through my archived games using fritz or cbase but I dont know how to do this.Can someone give me a step by step guide as I am a novice when it comes to using computers.
Thanks.

muabdib

Post by muabdib » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:13 am

With CB8 and Fritz 7 it works that way:
(It should work with earlier versions like CB 7 and Fritz 6 too)

1. You create a database in CB. you call it as you like it. For example: net-chess
2. You go to “Archive Search” at netchess, type in your handle
3. You mark the game with a left mouse-click. Then right click on your mouse: “ “copy”
4. You go back to CB, your database, double left click. File, New, Board and Paste
5. You’ve got your game now on the board. If you want to have all the details, like opponent, year, website, tourney etc. go to File, “Save as” and fill in.
6. You’ve got normally a Chess Engine included in CB but better click on the Fritz icon.
7. Analysis: There you’ve got several possibilities:
a) you go to Game, Level, Long Game and fill in the time you need for the analysis
b) you go to Tools, Analysis and then: Deep Position Analysis, Shoot out or Full Analysis. You will get special windows where you can configure the kind, time and depth of analysis.

8. Check first your opening with the Fritz-Book. You should have one and
convert it from the disc on your hard disk.

dragondude

Re: Reading archives using fritz/Chessbase...

Post by dragondude » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:37 pm

towserone wrote:I would like to play through my archived games using fritz or cbase but I dont know how to do this.Can someone give me a step by step guide as I am a novice when it comes to using computers.
Thanks.
easy done in 3 steps...

1.) You need to download chessbase light for free from www.chessbase.com ,

2.) then just import all your games at once into "yourbase".pgn from gmiller advanced archive search...

make sure you save all your games from net-chess using the "save-as" feature in Net-scape 4.0 version or higher would work too.. I imagine..., and when you save them to the hard-drive call them yourbase.pgn , it is very important to make sure the extention is .pgn, so as to allow step 3 to work properly

3.) then chessbase light can open then in one shot. click on open new data-base, search for "yourbase.pgn" in the "mydocuments" folder

and voila! there they are... you will get them all, the only errors will be pawn promotions in the endgame, and the date's will be missing , as well any draws will come across as unfinished games , they will show up as "line" , but you can edit these minor nuisances and have a complete collection.

ENJOY!