2003 Feature request thread.

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
gmiller
Site Admin

2003 Feature request thread.

Post by gmiller » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:20 am

It's getting close to the end of the year, and that means I have to take all of my vacation time I never used. So, if you've got a feature you've been wanting, post it here. Because it's either program, or (gasp) go visit the family.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 pm

I split off all of the Archive output references to a new thread. Accidently split this one off too, so I'm reposting it here.
toverturf wrote:There is something I do all the time:

I click on all my games, go to a game, click on the match link.

It would be really nice if the match link were available from "All my games"

Just a thought... Thanks for asking the question! :D

Thad

aaiken

draws

Post by aaiken » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:00 am

It would be nice if the system would report the offer of a draw is an invalid move if it is still the offering player's move after the draw is offered. A couple of times I've had opponents offer draws when it was still their move. In that situation I couldn't decline the offer, because declining requires making a move. In fact, the only way I could "continue" the game was to wait for the offering player to notice that their clock was still running and make a move.

energy

Re: draws

Post by energy » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:30 am

aaiken wrote:It would be nice if the system would report the offer of a draw is an invalid move if it is still the offering player's move after the draw is offered. A couple of times I've had opponents offer draws when it was still their move. In that situation I couldn't decline the offer, because declining requires making a move. In fact, the only way I could "continue" the game was to wait for the offering player to notice that their clock was still running and make a move.
If and until that is implemented, you could always contact the player. From the front page this link will help you do so:

http://www.net-chess.com/email.html

ventoux

Re: draws

Post by ventoux » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:05 am

aaiken wrote:It would be nice if the system would report the offer of a draw is an invalid move if it is still the offering player's move after the draw is offered. A couple of times I've had opponents offer draws when it was still their move.
That's a failure in the system! It should be ONLY possible, to offer a draw (by clicking in the box 'offer a draw') TOGETHER with a valid move.

The other way, typing 'draw' into the move-box, will bring the above mentioned situation. This move 'draw' mustn't be longer supported by the system. It's also against the chess rules, you can't offer a draw without moving.

toverturf
Uranium

Another idea that would be really helpful

Post by toverturf » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:59 pm

The screen that you get when you click on 'All My Games' is terrifically useful. What would be a really neat improvement would be to add on the right about 30 characters from the notes section of each game. As well as the match number and link which I requested above. :)

Thanks

-Thad

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:54 pm

Have a look at it now.

toverturf
Uranium

I'm in AWE

Post by toverturf » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:29 pm

Greg!!! It's beautiful! Thank you so much, it's EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Now I will start using the notepad more.

Thanks again,

-Thad

sonrisante

Notepad in My Games List

Post by sonrisante » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:26 am

gmiller wrote:Have a look at it now.
Hey Greg,

That's a great feature. Can you also add it to the list of games ready for me to make a move? That's where I would find it most useful.

In fact, I'd also like the ability to sort the games I have a move ready for. Sometimes I'm looking for a particular opponent, sometimes I need to play the shortest time left because I'm behind, sometimes I want to play the highest number of moves, etc. It would be great to be able to sort by column.

Also: email notification for a particular game would be great! That way I could tag a certain game that I'm interested in to send me a page.

:)

Pretty cool additions you're making here.
Keep up the good work.
Bob

cohonas

Post by cohonas » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:42 am

I added this yesterday in the General forum:

I would like to suggest the ability to premove ie. by entering one or a series of moves to be played if opponent answers your move with what you predicted. For example let's say you start a game with 1.e4 then before hitting the "Move" button you can additionally enter "if" moves, if answer to 1.e4 is c5 then automatically move 2.Nf3 or if answer to 1.e4 is e5 then automatically move 2.Nf3 etc.

This would not only speed up things in the opening, but also in the endgame, thus my suggestion covers all phases of the game. Sometimes the answer is forced and it would give players more time to focus on positions where moves are not forced.

Regards
Cohonas

arlocw
Uranium

for Greg

Post by arlocw » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:53 am

Hello Greg,
I would like the ability to specify the minimum number of games an opponent has completed when starting a new match.
FYI: it may just be my experience, but my provisional status was not removed until I had completed 21 games, not 20 as stated in the FAQ.
Thanks in advance,

-arlocw

gmiller
Site Admin

Re: for Greg

Post by gmiller » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:05 am

arlocw wrote: I would like the ability to specify the minimum number of games an opponent has completed when starting a new match.
FYI: it may just be my experience, but my provisional status was not removed until I had completed 21 games, not 20 as stated in the FAQ.
Allowing people to specify that they don't want to play newcommers would make it extremley difficult for new players to join and get involved in games. Your rating changes from provisional to established just before your 21st game is rated, so effectivley it's all the same.

timesup
Platnum

All-Users Stats List

Post by timesup » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:57 pm

Will you be able to reinstate the all-users stat list where everyone could see where they stand in rating, number of games played and number of moves?