Favorite Openings?!

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
iamachessstudent

Favorite Openings?!

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:02 am

Hey all..

We all have a favorite opening or 2 that we prefer to play as White, and as Black..what are yours>?
What are some openings that you have tried but can't seem to get the "feel" of?!

As WHiye, I play 1.e4 and 1.d4 almost 50-50..or depending on my mood.

Against the E pawn, I like the 2..Nc6 Sicilians, Caro Kann and an occasional Nimzovitch Sicilian...

Against the D pawn, the Grunfeld, Slav or maybe a Benko

I have tried the Pirc as Black, but can't seem to grasp how to play, the same with the Hedgehog against the English..just doesn't work for me!

energy

Re: Favorite Openings?!

Post by energy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:36 am

1.d4 exclusively here. I like the closed openings, like Kings Indian.
Against 1.e4 I play the Caro or 1...e5, but there's a scary amount of crazy openings you need to know after the latter.
Against 1.d4 it's almost always 1...d5 and classical queen pawn openings.
I can't get a good handle on Nimzo-Indian, and that goes if I'm playing it as white or black.
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:35 am

I play a lot of the sixes openings. g6 Nf6 e6 d6 c6 b6 You could call me a Sixer :twisted:

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:22 am

Energy:

I know what you mean about the crazy e4, e5 openings, there are some very tricky ones out there that come out from time to time and you have to be careful and know your theory!

KEtuplover:
You are a silver lol:)

irrawang

Post by irrawang » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:53 pm

The lower your rating the less important are the opening moves. Computer analysis shows that at my level I make weak moves and blunders more often than I care to admit. What is the use of playing the opening like a strong GM and then playing the rest of the game like a 1600 patzer?

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:23 am

irrawang wrote:The lower your rating the less important are the opening moves. Computer analysis shows that at my level I make weak moves and blunders more often than I care to admit. What is the use of playing the opening like a strong GM and then playing the rest of the game like a 1600 patzer ? "
Well stated Irrawang ..... I agree ! ; although I believe Iamachessstudent's aim here is to simply stimulate discussion about the openings we play, which many of us spend soooo much time studying [myself included].

Tactics - Tactics - Tactics !
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:39 am

abiodun wrote:
irrawang wrote:The lower your rating the less important are the opening moves. Computer analysis shows that at my level I make weak moves and blunders more often than I care to admit. What is the use of playing the opening like a strong GM and then playing the rest of the game like a 1600 patzer ? "
Well stated Irrawang ..... I agree ! ; although I believe Iamachessstudent's aim here is to simply stimulate discussion about the openings we play, which many of us spend soooo much time studying [myself included].

Tactics - Tactics - Tactics !
Correct!
I try and be a student of the opening, but as the old saying goes, The only goal of the opening is to get to a playable middlegame, or a position that you understand'"
That being said, these days you HAVE to study the openings, everything is so much move-dependent and in current openings, one wrong move spells DOOM...it is that technical and very detailed!
You can still get to positions that are comfortable for you n spite of theory, but you must understand them!

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:51 am

Thanks Iamachessstudent for starting this Stimulating Topic !

I wish to add a quote which is not directly related to your subject matter here, but just
might inspire some other forum/site member like it has inspired me these past 18 or so
years since it was first published. And Yes ..... it can be related to "Favorite Openings" .....

" In chess you fail not if you lose, but if you play a game and don't learn, or learn something and don't apply what you learned next time, CONTINUING TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES !.
The outcome of any individual game is fairly irrelevant in the greater sense of learning if your goal is to improve. Sure, there are some important games to win, and if you can win and learn, all the better ; but if you start out as a weak player and want to get strong .......,
LEARNING and APPLYING is What It's All About. !"

Dan Heisman, The Chess Cafe ... circa 1997-8-9 (?)

Chess Study Is / Should Be, Hard Work !
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:11 am

Abiodun

THANK YOU!!
An excellent topic that does relate to my original one!

MAking the same mistakes over and over is frustrating and so unnecessary! Simply looking p the line in question will help you eliminate that error, plus put you on the right track to other little things you could be missing as well!@
It never hurts to open a book and take a look at your favorite line or variation... there is no telling what you may find there!!:)