Cliff Dwyer passed away

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
jvanmechelen

Cliff Dwyer passed away

Post by jvanmechelen » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 am

Dear friends,

I am very sad to have to inform you that our dear friend, Cliff Dwyer, has passed away. I found this obituary on internet:

DWYER, Cliff Phillip November 4, 1954 – September 13, 2017 In the comfort of his own home, Cliff passed away peacefully at the age of 62 with his loving wife Debbie (Taglietti) at his side. A strong member of the Cabbagetown community, Cliff will be remembered by his friends for his dedication to improving the neighbourhood where he lived. His commitment to the SPCA, love for the Toronto Blue Jays and aptitude for chess will not be forgetten.

A memorial will be held in his honour on Monday, September 18, 2017 at Rosar-Morrison Funeral Home and Chapel, located at 467 Sherbourne St.

Date of Birth : Nov 4 1954

I inform you of this because recently Cliff explicitely asked me to notify all members of net-chess, should he die. I have to say his death still comes as a complete surprise to me. He had serious health problems, but I was under the impression his new medication had improved matters considerably. I was very worried these last few weeks as he wasn't making his moves, forfeited two games against Pete Willows and didn't respond to my mail, asking how he was doing.

I lose my best friend here on the site. He lived in Toronto whereas I live in Leuven (Belgium). Two worlds apart but we had the same opinions on many things. In a way we felt we knew each other somehow. I will never forget the pleasant, funny and always interesting chats we had.

Dear Cliff, may you rest in peace. I will never forget you, buddy!

Jan van Mechelen

redketchuplover

Re: Cliff Dwyer passed away

Post by redketchuplover » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 am

Sincere condolences to all whose lives he touched online and offline.

pwillows

Post by pwillows » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:12 am

A truly sad day when I heard Cliff was no longer with us. From way down under in Hobart Tasmania an Island State of Australia, our thoughts go Cliff's family & friends. Cliff & I had many chats about lots of things many being positive & gaining knowledge. I certainly improved my chess skills under his guidance & enjoyed being beaten nearly every time except for once when human err happens. Cliff you will be remembered as a fair dinkum mate I never met but influenced me by your good hearted nature. Bye for now until I also visit for a best of 3 rematch. Your mate Pete

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:04 am

So sorry to hear this, he was a great guy.
Greg Miller

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Am going to miss him dearly. We chatted a ton about a lot of things. Cliff, enjoy chess in a better place.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:56 am

That is truly a sad thing.
Cliff and I talked about many things, Chess and otherwise. I always looked forward to our games and hearing from him..I will truly miss him and am very sad to hear of his passing.

sleep well my friend, you are in a better place.

all my love

Josj

pwillows

Post by pwillows » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:14 am

Hi Chess Mates via this great site thanks gmiller.

Have posted a remembering Cliff chat games for known players of a great chess mate to many of us.
Main purpose is to share your thoughts of Cliff who is probably wopping them up there right now.

If you can't join or would like be involved let one of us know or post another challenge.

Thanks from way down under Tassie Pete

pawnraider

Post by pawnraider » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:40 am

So sorry to hear about Cliff passing away. I have crossed swords with him here numerous times in recent years and always enjoyed the chess along with the discussions on a number of subjects.

It genuinely feels as though I have lost a friend.

vgomdysey

Post by vgomdysey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:02 am

I'm sorry to hear about. Cliff was very good guy. I played with him a lot games and every single game was enjoyable game for me. In the lost our game he ask me to draw game when his possition was match better then mine but time was almost out...and I glad that I'm did'nt that-I resign game...

It feels like I lost my friend and teacher in one face.