RATING PERFORMANCE GRAPH

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
ziggyblitz

RATING PERFORMANCE GRAPH

Post by ziggyblitz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Within the Rating Performance graph (accessed via Personal Profile/Rating History) is our rating averaged or is it our current rating? Just say member X has an average rating of 2800 but a current rating of 2300, which rating is used for the graph? I am guessing it is an average rating.

gmiller
Site Admin

Re: RATING PERFORMANCE GRAPH

Post by gmiller » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:53 am

It's your entire rating history. If you were rated 1000 and won a game against a 1400 player, and years later were rated 2000 and lost against a 2400 player, those two scores are averaged together for the +400 point on the graph.
Greg Miller

irrawang

Re: RATING PERFORMANCE GRAPH

Post by irrawang » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:39 am

Just discovered that if you click on the grey line on the Rating Performance Graph a window pops up showing the actual expected score. Not sure if this graph is all that useful but it does show the influence of the ratings floor and ceiling and the effect of some players constant time outs.
Interestingly I score below expectations against opponents rated 200+ above me and slightly above expectations against opponents rated below me. This is a common occurrence and the cause is probably psychological (self fulfilling expectations).