What is the best number of games to have?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
blackdogs

What is the best number of games to have?

Post by blackdogs » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:59 am

it seems to be a case of quality versus quality, more games equals less time therefore lower quality. I've had up to 100 games which was too much to handle, so for me the ideal seems to be about 20. I am here for entertainment, and chess is the best! There is nothing better than jumping onto the iPad to check my games, but that is where I have the problem, what if there are no games waiting? The solution seems to be in spending more time on my moves and to double check the possibilities. At my level there is often a better move available. But I seem to lack a bit of self discipline when it comes to the hard analysis required for a serious correspondence game,.....hmmm maybe I'll just have 60-70 games and just play my usual skittles game.

dsteel

Re: What is the best number of games to have?

Post by dsteel » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:50 am

My level is lower still but the pleasure of playing chess is a great .its always disappointing when there's no games to play probably why I have close to 100 games myself perhaps chess is one of those addictions that can be classed as a legal high lol

cliff

Post by cliff » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:23 pm

I don't think there's any one single answer to that question, fellows.

It likely depends on a number of factors, the most important being how much time you have to spend on the games. I've only had as many as 36 going at once, and I've found over my eight years here that was too many for me. My play suffered, and my overall enjoyment seemed to as well. I've found that for myself, 15 - 20 games at once seems to be best, and likely 15-17 is the optimum number. I currently have 10 games in play, and since I've joined the Open, I'll have another 10 or 12 added to that on Monday. About 4 or 5 of my current games should be ending within the next week, though, so the number will drop to my preferred range of games then.

I think that if one has fewer games, one has sufficient time to dedicate to all of them, and the time for higher rated opposition. You'd be surprised how much your own play will improve.

As I said though, it's really a matter of personal time and preferences.

Enjoying the games and the chats with opponents is really what it's all about!

Hope my humble opinion was of some help!

- Cliff

:)
Last edited by cliff on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

irrawang

Post by irrawang » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:40 pm

More time equals better chess. With too many games I tend to become careless.
Last edited by irrawang on Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:07 am

I've found that for myself, 15 - 20 games at once seems to be best, and likely 15-17 is the optimum number.

I concur ! :!:

On a side note .........
Being the ardent Journalism student that I was, during my college days,
I wish that Gregg could somehow fix it so that,
we could see an Ending Quotation Mark,
as part of this sites' BBCode system, whenever we choose to use quotations .......
:?: :cry: :shock:

This is only a minor frustration, since I'm more concerned
about how to better & more effectively refute the Ponziani !
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:33 pm

In my opinion the optimum active game quantity is one :mrgreen:

dontcare

Post by dontcare » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi, on another server I have over 100 games long time control going. But I play that many to get practice in the openings. So it would depend on what you want to get out of the games. Of course I make mistakes by playing that many, but I know it will happen ahead of time.

dsteel

Post by dsteel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:47 am

I guess the number of games really doesn't matter . Just the enjoyment of playing chess

cliff

Post by cliff » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:33 am

dsteel wrote:I guess the number of games really doesn't matter . Just the enjoyment of playing chess
I think you scored with the best way to look at it, my friend!

Different players have different preferences and time, so in the end I think that's really the only answer! :)

Something just occurred to me here. This is what a prefect thread should be here - no arguing, flame wars, or insults!
I wish all the topics here in the Forum were like this..... :) :) :)

dsteel

Post by dsteel » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:10 am

Yes makes for a more pleasant experience knowing your questions and queries are going to bring about decent replays .