Unergonomic Behaviour

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
joelag

Unergonomic Behaviour

Post by joelag » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:30 am

You could say: Your own mistake ... but indeed I think you could improve the user interface:

In g1105115149 I was thinking about my 22. move. After some considering I had the idea of 22...Rf8f4 - so I entered the move but I did not press the move button. I was thinking: Let's do a double check. So I did some more analysis and finally came to the conclusion that 22...a6a5 would perhaps be the better move. So I clicked my pawn on a6 and then clicked a5 then Move.

The result was some popup that I was sure to have seen a houndred times before. It actually reads (I just had to provoke the situation again to cite it correctly ... see my further explanation below:)

You have moved more than one piece on the boardi without reseting the position.
It is recomended that you either reload this page or press the '>|' button to reset the board to ensure you're submitting the correct move.

Note: If you are trying to castle, all you need to do is move the king two squares towards the rook, the rook will be moved automatically

Press OK to make your move anyway, or press Cancel to abort submitting this move and make a correction.

BTW: Has it always been that way?

Well. The message is clear and correct. But what did I do? I started reading ... and after reading the first sentence I was thinking: Hell, right! I already moved my rook. I was thinking furthermore: Great that Greg implemented this check! Then I was thinking: OK - off with that message, press ok, then reset and then do it right.

But - as the last sentence is explaining completely correctly: By pressing ok I confirmed my firstly entered move (which I meanwhile regarded as inferior).

So of course everything is correctly implemented. The fault is to seek with my lack of carefulness alone and I'm the only one to blame :(

But in the means of ergonomics I suggest that you never commit a move in this situation. Hence the last sentence should read: Press OK to cancel the move, then reset and enter the desired move again. (or something similiar)

ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

Re: Unergonomic Behaviour

Post by ecperreault » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:30 pm

... along with spllellngi and grammatical errors, rather makes this a 'fun' site. Let's you know the site was written by a human, is run by a human, and is for humans - who tend to err.
Just wish Greg would upgrade the graphics a little.
... and yes, we all call the webmaster and site owner by his first name with respect.
So, we let the little things slide and still find plenty to spout off in the Forums occasionally.
Just my 2 cents - as usual...
'the snot-nosed kid' :D

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:45 pm

not everybody. He has his favorites.

ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

Post by ecperreault » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Keep the lid on that can, buddy.
We already had our say - fairly and freely.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:26 pm

The only reason I give people the option to press "OK" to commit the move anyway is that a lot of people move their king and rook when castling so they can actually see the resulting position.
Greg Miller

joelag

Post by joelag » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:52 am

Well - of course: You can be sure that this won't happen to me ever again. But I always think: If I behave awkwardly in any situation this could happen to anybody else as well. Hence my proposal to change the behaviour. The castle thing is already explained in the text. But well - it was only a suggestion.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:00 am

Such a shocker....