2 Dynamic Draws

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
iamachessstudent

2 Dynamic Draws

Post by iamachessstudent » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Here are two games which I played that did not turn out as I had hoped! True, they were draws but as you will see in the annotations, I had hoped for allot more. A good adage goes "you cant always get what you want, but you get what you need" ( an old Stones song I think :) ) and that was true here..I had wanted wins, but I had to settle for Draws after my opponents played very well!

[White Josh ]
[Black "Ranger47"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
White begins this game with a prepared variation in a popular line of the Grunfeld Defemse. I had thought that after the initial 15 moves, that I would have a good, healthy advantage with my 16th move. Unfortunately, my analysis was incorrect, as Black plays excellent moves and in a short 7 moves after a position that I thought was "great for White", a draw is the only outcome that can be had!

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 {The ever-popular Grunfeld Defense; liked by the Club player and many top GrandMasters as well.
I have this opening in my repetoire for Black as well and have done well with it.
4.cxd5 {The Exchange Variation, which is my favorite.

4...Nxd5 5.e4 Nxc3 6.bxc3 Bg7 7.Bc4 {After a short, experimental stage with 7. Bg5; I have come back to using this move exclusively, as I believe it is the best way for White to play for the win if he uses the Exchange Variation.

7...c5 {Now we get into heavy theroy, therfore, I wont bore any1 with my comments, just follow along and enjoy:)

8.Ne2 Nc6 9.Be3 O-O 10.O-O Na5 11.Bd3 cxd4 12.cxd4 b6 13.Rc1 e6 14.Qa4 Bd7 15.Qb4 {White has also tried 15. Qa3 here , but also with no positive results to speak of.

15...Bc6 {This is the position that i referenced to in the opening notes to this game. I had been encountering this position both with White and Black and just felt something could be done to increase the advantage for one side or the other. Realizing that Black is usually responding and counter-attacking Whites plans here , I looked to the White side and thought I had found a move that secured a nice, healthy advantrage...

16.f3 {...and here it was!
Previously I had seen both 16. Rfd1 and 16. Nf4 played but White has done nothing beter than a draw in each case.
I felt that with the pawn move, I secure the e4 pawn, leave the D pawn defended and have all my pieces placed optimally; the rook is on the semi-0pen C file and I control that...Black's dark-squared Bishop has its diagnoal cut down, and his light-squared Bishop is biting granite.
All this sounds great, but the dynamics in the position say other wise...with a smart regrouping, Black is able to acheive equality.
So is there a way for white to get a solid advantage here, maybe just one, to avoid the variation altoghter!?
16...Qd7! {Giving the Bishop extra protection and allowing it to go back to B7 while the Queen protects the light squares (noticeably B5). I didn't even consider this move when investigating this variation, which really made me feel deflated.

17.Rc2 {Preparing to double rooks and secure the only open file..not a bad idea.
Perhaps the simple 17. Rfd1 is a beter try for an advantage?!
17...Rfc8 {Contesting the file immediately!

18.Rfc1 Bb7 19.Bb5 {Not wishing to exchange Rooks and to try to keep tension in the position, I try another tactic.

19...Qd8 {The only retreat, but good enough to hold the board.

20.Qd2 {Not finding anything better, I retreat the Queen to the homeland, possibly with a Bh6 threat in the future, but Black forces the game now.

20...Rxc2 {Eliminating pieces and making the position lose most of its "pop".

21.Rxc2 Rc8 22.Rxc8 Qxc8 23.Bf2 a6 {The Bishop is forced back and after say 24. Bc4 I saw no advantage for White at all, and add to that the disappointment of a position I had really felt was strong for White being made barren, I accepted a DRAW made by Black here!

1/2-1/2
Game conclusions and lessons to learn

A good moral of this game is : Never trust analysis without good testing and an open mind. I had felt sure that with this White position after move 16 I'd be able to grind out or even blast through to a great win! Alas, I was totally WRONG by not being objective enough...but nonetheless a good game from an opponent that always proves a tough challenge and good lesson learned!

[White "Josh"
[Black "phjardas"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
This game is a good example of an early novelty that gives one side fast equality, and after the dust is cleared both sides are very equal and decide to call the game a well fough draw!

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d6 4.e4 Bg7 5.f3 {Of course, this is the King's Indian Defense; a good aggressive opening choice by Black when he is in the mood to fight! Ususally, I play 5. Bd3 (Seriwan's Variation), but facing a higher rated opponent and this being a Team Competition...I wanted to be cautious and felt more comfortable in the Samisch Variation.
There is a good thing to be said for having more than one set variation against an opening in your repetoire..it gives you chances to experiment and keeps your opponent's guessing!
5. ... O-O {Getting his King to safety immediately before planning on a plan of attack.

6.Be3 c5 7.d5 {Closing the Queenside.

7...Nbd7 8.Bd3 {More common here is 8. Nge2 and even 8. Qd2; but I wanted to try developing both my King Bishop before the Queen or Knight. After this game, I think I will stay with 8. Nge2 or 8. Qd2!

8...Qb6!? {A very interesting move, and one that I had not seen before!
I was expecting perhaps 8...Ne5 to exchange the light-squared Bishop, and I was just going to reply 9. Nge2, allowing the exchange of the Bishop, since I would be much better developed in that case.
SO, back to 8...Qb6!?, what does the move do? First of all, it attacks the B pawn, it seizes control of the dark-squares on the Queen-side and develops the Queen itself. I think the move is acceptable/Ok. It definitely sets issues with how best to face it!
Usual in this position is either 8...a6 or 8...e6.
9.Qc2 {I decided to simply develop my own Queen and back my light squares up, and this might not have been the best!
Alternatives...well, let's see: the main alternative is 9. b3! and I think This is the best...true it weakens the dark squares but a simple Bishop move like Bd2 can repair that and keep the game in White's favor.
9. Rb1 was possible, but to limit a Rook to sinply defending a Pawn seems very weak to me?!
9. Na4?! is dubious becasue after 9...Qa5+ a repetition of moves can be made if the players wish.
9...Ne5 {A good follow-up! The light-squared Bishop is now exchanges and Black is looking good on the rest of the board.

10.b3 {I make the move that I should have made on move 9 !
This can't be great and in fact it lets Black almost equalize!
10. Be2 looked weak to me because of ...Nh5! , preparing the ...f5 thrust early and giving Black great chances!
10...Nxd3+ {Expected, but maybe Black could have also developed a little more by 10...a6!? The Bishop is going no where and Black could have used this tempo for other things..but you cant argue with the move played!

11.Qxd3 {So Black gains the Bishop pair!

11...Nd7 {A good move, protecting those dark squares and keeping the Knight back for defensive purposes if need be.

12.Nge2 {Finally developing this Knight!
Don't you think it would have been easier just to play 8. Nge2 to begin with!?
12...a6 {Defending the b5 square against a possible intrusion by the Knight on C3 and safegaurding the Q-side since the Queen takes her leave.
Other moves that could have been considered was primarily...Ne5 once again to force the Queen to move, tho after the Queen move; I dont think Black is any better off then he was in the game!
13.O-O {Getting my King to safety, but a long term plan starting with the move 13. Qc2 and following with a timely Rd1 to work the Center might have been better; but I like the safety of castling since there is no need to look for an attack yet.
Time in Chess is critical, do try not to rush or delay too long...find your balance!
13...Ne5 {Now he forces the Queen to retreat, gaining a little more time.

14.Qc2 {I played this pretty fast, but maybe 14. Qd2; to perhaps follow with Bh6 and attempt to get rid of the "King's Indian Bishop" was better?!

14...Qc7 {Keeping the Queen safe and reinforcing those dark squares...

15.Rad1 {Again made without a lot of thought BUT...maybe 15. a4!? to totally lock the Queen-side up and after ...Bd7 White is a little better than I am in the game?!
It is always easier after the game to dwell on alternatives, but since I did not mind the outcome of this game..its OK :)
15...Rb8 {Preparing, perhaps a break with ...b5, after a timely ..Bd7!?
The move, to me seems to almost totally equalize for Black; White just does not have enough in the position to start attacking the King-side...
16.a4 {Deciding to put an end to any idea of a ...b5 break forever for Black.

16...b6 {A good move, and better than 16....f5, after which 17. Bd2 is beter for White!

17.Qd2 {Preparing to try and exchange that dark-squared Bishop, commonly called the "King's Indian" Bishop!

17...Re8 {A good retort!
Black has no plans to allow the exchange of his Bishop, so after...
18.Bh6 Bh8 {Keeps the position static but very. very balanced.

19.Rde1 {I thought for along time and played this move, which i DO NOT like...
but I still cant see a better alternative...candidate moves include 19. Kh1, 19, Rc1 what would YOU play here?
I also had in my mind of a draw offer soon, so I was not too enthused to look for a stronger move.
19...Bd7 {Develping his last piece, conecting his Rooks and gaining almost total equality.
A DRAW was agreed here...both sides have almost no visible weak points and to try and stumble through blindly looking for a way to pick up a win seems ridiculous to me!
A GOOD GAME :)

1/2-1/2
Game conclusions and lessons to learn

An early novelty in a well-known variation of the King's Indian Defense had me thinking early, and after Black made other good moves...he gained equality and got a well-earned draw. Perhaps I could have tried harder, but in the general position it would have been terribly hard to keep playing for a Win when I saw my opponent was also playing very well and my attempts would probably have been met with no success.

abiodun

Re: 2 Dynamic Draws

Post by abiodun » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:52 pm

WoW Josh ! ! !

I hope that you keep copies in some format of these Fantastic Annotated Games ! ! !
I wish now that I would have done so with my own annotations starting from way back in the late sixties.

You've whet my appetite for more of your commented games, so I have begun a search here to find if there may be more that I missed.

Keep Up Your Good Work Pal ! ! ! !
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:16 am

Thank you!

I do keep .pgn and .cbh copies if the games i analyze and play...
I will be adding more to the forum this weekend, wins, losses and draws, so stay tuned!

Thanks again for the very nice words..im flattered and glad that you like!

Joshua

ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

Post by ecperreault » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:38 pm

That first game of you vs Ranger47 was 'just' getting interesting when it was Drawn. True, any positional advantage White had had earlier had been neutralized, but now after the obvious continuation:
24.Bd3, ... how about Black playing 24... Nc4!? and trying to steer the endgame into same-colored Bishops (preferably White colored) and attempting to get a decisive winning advantage with the 2-1 Queenside Pawn advantage.
I realize one cannot prove such a 'Win' but it seems like the only real shot at a decision for this fine game.
I believe you were correct for accepting the most gracious Draw offer at the point it was offered.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Good questions and Ill try and answer right now!

In the first case I had said I planned on playing 24.Bd3....after some analysis it seems that there are 2 moves that black can play in which he really equalizes...the first is the simple 24...Nc6! White really has no good followup and some natural moves include 25.a4 ( just to be sure Black doesnt try to expand those Qside pawns by ...b5 any time soon), or 25. Bc2 , in either case the game is nearly dead level and White, as you said, is smart to accept that black draw offer :)

I had a good grip of the game after the 16th move, 16.f3! A damn strong move..and I kept that edge for a while, but where the game REALLY turned was on my 17th move where I played 17.Rc2...and 17. Rc3! was stronger since then I double rooks on the C file and Black never gets the chance to exchange them as he did in the game!

Live and learn : )

Oh and lets look at your thought on, after 24. Bd3 the move 24...Nc4!? the 2 main tries for White then seems to be (A) 25.Qc2, Na5 ( if 25...b5, then 26.a4! can cause a few problems for black on the Q-side) and if White does NOT want to exchange Queens, which gives him nothing, he has to pay either 26.Qb1 or 26.Qb2 which also give him NO edge at all! The second try (b) 25.Qc3, Na5 or now 25...b5 DOES work because after 26.a4 then Black attacks the Center with 26...f5! since the Queen is NO longer on the light squares i.e. C2; black can break thru on the light squares in the Center!

so yes the draw offer was best after all :)

Joshua