2 games, same opening- same theme!

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
iamachessstudent

2 games, same opening- same theme!

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:01 am

I thought I'd share a couple of games I had played on another site a couple years back that deals with the Classical Nimzo-Indian; Central Variation...both games were well played and followed each other up to a point...then the real fun starts! I have checked the annotations for spelling errors and added a tweak or 2 to the annotations..I hope you can enjoy and comment if you like !:) Thanks!

[White "Josh"
[Black "Sailesh"

In this game a very critical line is discussed in the Classical Nimzo Indian (Central Variation). White tries a very new 11th move and what follows is an early King hunt and a very decisive victory for White some 11 movers later! **This is the 1st game that I use this opening variation, in the next game the same opening is used, but against another opponent; this makes both games excellent for learning purposes.
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 {This is "Stock" for me, as I 99% of the time I will play 1.d4. 2.c4 and 3. Nc3...I do not worry about offering the Nimzo-Indian as I have studied it from the White side and feel good enough to offer it at any time.

3... Bb4 {The ofer is accepted and we have A Nimo-Indian, one of the most popular openings of all-time. A favorite of almost every World Champion since Alexander Alekhine in the late 1920's all the way up to the current World Champion Vishy Anand.

4.Qc2 {This is the "Classical Variation" of the Nimzo; Garry Kasparov played it and won many a fine victory for the White side.
I prefer this variation as well, and I have studied it for many years and am comfortable in playing it. I think it is the best variation of many to offer White serious winning chances.
As with all popular openings, you must be alert for move transpotitions and new ideas, but as long as you have a firm grip of the basics all of that should not cause you to doubt playing your favorite variation in any opening; whether it be from the White or the Black side.
4... O-O {A very popular choice, and there are so many others at this juncture (i.e. 4...Nc6; 4...b6; 4...c5; 4...d5; and 4...d6 to name the more popular choices). All of this is a matter of taste for the player of the Black pieces and all have their favorites as well!

5.e4 {This is called the Central Variation and has only become popular over the last 5 years or so...in the past White did not venture on this brave thrust, as it was felt that his center pawns were too vunerable to attack.
All this has changed with GM testing and growing theroy, and now the Central Variation is known as one of White's more ambitious tries to win in the Classical Nimzo.
This varaition also has a tendency to lead to sharp play, so be aware before you employ it.
5... c5 {This is not the most popular move, but a very often played one. Instead of playing the normal 5...d5 and getting a foothold for the Knight at e4, Black goes for complications right out of the opening. This move attacks the d4 pawn and allows the Queen to be posted at A5, but in return White is allowed to play E5 immediately, attacking the center!

6.e5 {The best try other than 6. A3 which usually transposes back to the equalizing line 4...d5, but I won't cover all those lines here. The move played is the most ambitious one for White.

6...cxd4 {Counter-attack on the Knight on C3, and it is much beter than the passive retreat 6...Ne8.

7.a3 {White is not fooled into playing the plain bad 7. exf6?, dxc3; 8. bxc3, Qxf6 =+

7... Qa5 {Again the complicated way; 7...Bxc3, 8. bxc3 leaves White with the Bishop pair in a semi-open position!

8.axb4 {The position can be transposed by 8. exf6, dxc3; 9. axb4, Qxa1...

8... Qxa1 9.exf6 dxc3 10.fxg7 {The most common as 10, bxc3 does not seem to give White what he wants...but it has been played and the results have not been too encouraging.

10... Kxg7 {More common is 10...Re8; 11. bxc3, b5; 12. Nf3, a5; 13. Bd3 was played and resulted in a draw between two Gransmaters in 2004 (for the record the game was Shariyazdanov-Nisipeanu Dubai 2004 ... draw in 21 moves)
the text is rarely played becasue both the Black King and Queen are vunerable here, as this game demonstrates.
11.Qxc3+! {This is a good move, and rarely played; primarily becasue Black usually plays 10...Re8 as explained in the previous notes.
The Black King will begin to feel airy from now on...
11... f6 {The best here.

12.Bd3 {Developing and pressuring Blacks King-side yet again.

12... a5 {An attempt to break up the pawns on White's Queen-side and obtain counter-play in that side as well.

13.Nf3 {Developing the Knight as it to, will particiapte in the attack against the Black King.
Also possible was 13. b5, d5; 14. cxd5, exd5 when White is still better, but the text move pursues the idea of a King attack.
13... Qa4 {Threatening to win the Pawn on b4...

14.Qd4 {White consistently works on the attack agaisnt the Black King...but for now, the positon is only +=; the only advantage White having being the exposed position of the Black King.

14... Rf7?? {Black tries to defend against the forth coming King-side attack, but makes a crucial error...
14...Qxb4+! is the correct move and after 15. Bd2, then ...Qe7 is only += for White. Black, having missed this excellent chance, now sees his game grow worse with every White move.
15.b5! {Keeping the queen trapped on the Q-side and strengthening his own Q-side pawan.

15... Kg8 {Or 15...d6; 16. 0-0, e5; 17. Bh6+, Kg8; 18.Qd5 and Black is under allot of pressure (+ -).

16.O-O {Finally finishing my development and now, the attack on the Black monarch begins in earnest.

16... Qb4 {Again 16...d6; 17. Re1, Bd7; 18. Bh6 and the Black King is still caught in a net.

17.Bh6 {Sealing the Black King in...

17...Qe7 {Planing to defend along his 2nd rank..giving up the exchange if necessary.

18.c5 {Sealing for good the Black Queenside.

18...Qd8?? {For beter of worse, 18...f5 had to be played to at least block the long diagonal of the light-square White bishop!

19.Re1 Qe7 {Maybe 19...d5 is beteer!?: But after 20. cxd6, a4 ; the position is still strongly favoring White.

20.Nh4 {The beginning of the end for the Black King.

20... Qd8 {Black must be very careful here...his position is very shaky and can be ripped open very easily...here are some samples:
20...f5; 21. Nxf5! (deflection:e6), Qf6; 22. Qg4+, Kh8; 23. Bg5, Qxb2 (what else, really?); 24. Be3, Ra6; 25. Qh5 and the game is close to being finished.
Look at the position and see if you can find a very devastating move for White...TAKE YOUR TIME ( It is based on a deflection sacrifice)!
21.Rxe6!! {I REALLY liked this move, and it took a couple of days sitting at the board going over many variations to convince me to play it!
It is based on the deflection on the D7 square.

21... Kh8 {Of course not 21...dxe6; because of 22. Qxe8 and mate in 1.

22.Nf5 {With this move, Black resigned! The position is a loss for him and there are not many moves that can be played to avoid mate in a few moves or even less!

}
1-0
Game conclusions and lessons to learn

{This was a very sharp game, as the opening brought complications and difficult decisions which saw White come out on top. White then began an attack on the Black King which resulted in Black's resignation.}

[White "Josh"
[Black "Archean"]
[Result "1-0"]
In this game another very critical line is discussed in the Classical Nimzo Indian (Central Variation). White again tries a very new 11th move ( at that time, now, it is known theory) and what follows is an early King hunt resulting in a check mate some moves later! **This is the 2nd game that I used this opening variation, in the previous game the same opening was used, but against another opponent; this makes both games excellent for learning purposes.
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.Qc2 {The Classical Nimzo, once again.

4... O-O 5.e4 {The Central Variation.

5... c5 {My opponent decides on the same 5th move as my opponent chose in the previously annotated game, which makes for interesting study!

6.e5 cxd4 7.a3 Qa5 8.axb4 Qxa1 9.exf6 dxc3 10.fxg7 Kxg7 {And again Black decides to capture the G pawn with his King, inviting a K-side attack.

11.Qxc3+ {I like this move much better than 11. bxc3, as it seems to immediately put pressure on the Black King and leaves Black's Queen on the opposite side of the board.

11...f6 {Again, I think this is the best...for if 11...Kg8; then 12. Bd3, Nc6; 13. Ne2 and White is again much better.

12.Bd3 {+/- White is slightly better and here my opponent finally deviates from the previous game where 12...a5 was played...

12... Nc6 {..and chooses immediate piece development. It is difficult to judge which of those 12th moves is better; as they both attack the White Q-side pawns...one by pawns, the other by a minor piece.

13.Nf3 {Again the same move as played in the other game, as the Knight will be very helpful in attacking the Black King-side. The move also prepares White for castling which finishes his development.

13... Qa4 {Attacking that b4 pawn...

14.b5 {Defending and attacking the C6 knight. Here we come to a critical part of the opening and Black has to make a choice...moving his Knight or perhaps another move?!

14... Nb4?? {Unfortunately, this move is not correct as the light-squared Bishop can easily avoid the Knight's reach and White keeps his advantage.
I believe that the correct way to play was 14...Qa5!, then if 15. bxc6, Qxc3+; 16. bxc3 and..dxc6 is still better for White but I think Black has more chances to stay in the game.
15.Bb1 {+- Keeping the Bishop and sustaining the threats against the Black King and now both the Black Queen and Queen Knight are far way from the imposing battlefield.

15... Na2 {The only way to justify his previous move, but it does not help Black's position.

16.Qd3 {Threatening Qh7 check and mate!

16... Rh8 {Forced, or the Pawn is lost or he is checkmated.

17.Bd2 {Now White keeps the 2 Bishops in spite of the Black Knight's excursion. The ironic thing is that the Black Knight on A2 will not move again for the remainder of the game!

17... d5 18.cxd5 a6? {But this move makes the situation even worse...for better or worse; 18...e5 had to be tried to keep the position semi-closed. Even then, Black faces a tough battle to hold the game.

19.dxe6 {Simple and very effective, the board becomes wide open now!

19... Bxe6 {Or 19...Qxb5; 20. Qe3, Bxe6; 21. Nd4! +-

20.Nd4 {Centralizing the Knight and cutting the Black Queen off from the King-side.

20... Bd7 {Another try is 20...Rae8, and then 21.0-0, Kf7; 22. Nxe6, Rxe6; 23. Qd7+, Re7; 24. Qd5+, Ke8 and Black is still in a very bad way!

21.O-O axb5 22.Nf5+ Bxf5 {the only move.

23.Qxf5 Qd4 {Another try but not quite working was 23...Raf8; 24. Re1, Nc1; 25. Re7+, Rf7; 26. Rxf7+, Kf7; 27. Qd7+, Kg8; 28. Bh6 and the mating net closes slowly around the Black King.

24.Re1 {Preparing to invade Black's 7th rank!

24... Qd6 {...which Black stops.

25.Qg4+ Kf7 26.Qh5+ {Closing the net...

26... Kg8 27.Bh6 {Threatening Qg4 checkmate!

27... f5 {27...Qe6 is no better, 28. Rxe6, f5; 29. Bxa2, Rxa2; 30. Re8 Check and MAte!

28.Re8+ {It is mate in 3 moves. See if you can calculate that !

28... Rxe8 29.Qxe8+ Qf8 {Again, the only move and now you all can see what move ends this game.

30.Bxa2+ {CHECKMATE!! And yes...30. Qxf8 is also checkmate:)

1-0
Game conclusions and lessons to learn

{Again a very sharp game with the same opening variation, as the opening brought complications and difficult decisions which saw White come out on top. White then began an attack on the Black King which resulted in checkmate.}

islanderfan

Re: 2 games, same opening- same theme!

Post by islanderfan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:26 am

COuldn't say you won? At least when I crush Eugene and make Dave cry when I beat him over the chess board, that's all I say!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:40 pm

lol Brian!
You say U win i like to go into more detail..

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:41 am

I'm Very Impressed Iamachessstudent ! ! !

I'd like to have your permission to add your 2 well commented/annotated games to a database that I maintain of all such commented games that I find as I surf the net.

Very soon, I intend to study your games ...... perhaps I'll learn something !
:)
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 am

THANK YOU!
sure you can, il be posting more this week as i have time, bit I am flattered and if you find improvvements please let me know as well!!

thanks again! :)

Joshua

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Notice Josh doesn't place the games that I totally crushed him and Davidswhite and Eugene, and Asoka, and knightmare, and Jan, and Cliff... need I say more. 8) 8) 8)

ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

Post by ecperreault » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Yawwwnnnn....

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Brian, Brian, Brian LOL
My poor little confused monkey:)

I will be posting a couple more games in a short time, in a separate forum post..so you can differentiate the games : )
Thanks for those that have supported me and encouraged:)

Joshua

ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

Post by ecperreault » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Hee hee... 'confused monkey' ... LOL, 'Snork!' LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: