Blitz at FICS for Net-Chess members

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
krambambuli

Blitz at FICS for Net-Chess members

Post by krambambuli » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:33 am

Who would be interested in playing blitz tournament at FICS? It would only work by individual challenges for not letting join non netchess members.What about the following time controls
5 min
10 min
15 min
or even 15 min?
We would need somebody to gather the results and publish them here in the forum. It would be nice if the results were listed in a table? It would be a question of honor no silicon assistance being utilized. And - btw - any engine use in blitz could be detected by the FICS server. Becoming member of FICS is free of charge and FICS is a renowned private chess server for blitz and lightning games (1 - 3 min). We could as well play 2+12 or 5 + 3 or any other time control. I'd love to play some blitz games but mostly refrain from playing against unknown fakes.
What do you think about this idea and which time controls would you prefer?
Could work like this:
Any member of this/these group(s) challenge any other member after agreeing on the exact time they would both be online at FICS. Or the members announce at which time they will be online and then they play when they are both online.We could even have different groups with different time controls. I am playing in regional OTB blitz tournaments - unfortunately there are only a few during the year. I am organizing student and junior fast tournaments ( between 15 and 30 min) in Chess960 being generously sponsored by firms.
Let me know your opinion about playing blitz tourneys at FICS - of course among the members of netchess.

gmiller
Site Admin

Re: Blitz at FICS for Net-Chess members

Post by gmiller » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 am

My ID on FICS is gmiller, I'd be up for it.

I do think it'd be a logistical nightmare though. Net-chess has people from all over the world, so time zones would be a big issue, and a lot of people only play during the day, and some people only play in the evening. Since FICS already has their own tournaments, it''d just be a lot easier for people to play in those.
Greg Miller

krambambuli

Re: Blitz at FICS for Net-Chess members

Post by krambambuli » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:29 am

Who ever wants to play me at FICS my handle there is:Rougeole. You may be right Greg but may be too we get something set up like a tournament lasting for months as you mentioned as the netchess members are coming from all over the world. So whoever is willing to give it a go I suggest 3 time controls for Blitz
5 min
2+12 (2 min + an increment of 12 sec per move)
15 min.
I am ready to play any netchess member challenging me. However as I didn't play at FICS for quite a while I had to change my handle because I couldn't remember my old password any more. So my actual score is a very small one.