online chess applet

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
katchum

online chess applet

Post by katchum » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:08 am

This site is in need of it!!!

bobbybellona

Post by bobbybellona » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:19 am

What should this applet do? You mean for playing the games? Viewing archived games?

Lot of work to make Java-applets. On a correspondence-chess site, no need for that, or is it?

katchum

well

Post by katchum » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:47 pm

well, i would be happy...

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:01 pm

I had been working on one a few months ago, but now I'm spending quite a bit of time helping my astronomy club build an observatory. As soon as that's done, I'll be back to working on it.

vjahagirdar

Post by vjahagirdar » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:43 pm

:x Nooooo! I am not able to visit many a sites because they use java applets dont add netchess to that list.

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:27 pm

Doooonnnn't use Windows XP with SUN java VM

uninstall it completely,
restart windows and
install: Windows Java VM

Micro Soft got sneaky again :evil:

bobbybellona

Post by bobbybellona » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:40 pm

Why? Sun Java and XP?

tellymetwise

Post by tellymetwise » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:57 pm

The only difference is the execution time.
Jave designed by sun takes quite some time to preload the commands and run the lines.

This does not happen with net-chess though, but it seems to happen with several applets.

The very big difference you will see when the applet needs to fetch new commands or reload a different "temporary" set of commands.
The more often this happens, the higher the irritation level.

I've seen it take from around 10 seconds delay upto a minute and a half.
And the code was stored locally, on my own computer.

Imagine it happens while playing online bridge, everytime you play a card.
Does me no good, neither will my opps or partner be happy waiting.

But ... and a very important one too ...
MS is lawbound to discontinue implementation of JAVA.

if java contains a leak and someone can use java routines to alter information on your harddisk, then you're :lol:

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:22 pm

I assmumed he was referring to an "on-line" way of playing chess (e.g. blitz), which is what I was working on. No, I'll never replace the simple boards I have now with a Java applet, my oppinion is that same as everyone else's, Java pretty much sucks.

toverturf
Uranium

I'm glad

Post by toverturf » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:25 pm

Part of the beauty of net-chess is it's simple yet elegant interface to games. The only wish I could possibly have is the ability to reply to moves via e-mail... oh well, I'm thankful for the great system we do have :)

Thad

bobbybellona

Post by bobbybellona » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:10 am

I agree too that simple is good. The layout and userinterface on this site does the job as easy as it can be done, and that is the best way to do it. What I could wish for is the possibility to search the database for games. We have the archivesearch now, but I mean the possibility to search games according to critierias like players, ratings, openings etc. Like an online pgn-reader for games store in the database.

Of course that to takes some work. I don't know which database and language you use. I see you use PHP in the new forum. I myself do a lot of PHP/MySql and it would not be to diffucult if you used that. PHP is perfect for sites like this. Very easy in use.

Or you could let us download pgn-file containing all games stored, and use or own pgn-viewers. (or send on mail to those interested, guess it would take up a lot of bandwidth if it was available for right-click-download from the site itself).

toverturf
Uranium

Archive Search

Post by toverturf » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:23 am

Have you looked at the advanced search feature? You can pull games out by many, many different criteria, and the results appear in a pgn compatible format. I generally download my opponents games (if they're higher rated than me) before I play them and create an opening tree...

Thad

gmiller
Site Admin

Re: I'm glad

Post by gmiller » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:34 am

toverturf wrote:The only wish I could possibly have is the ability to reply to moves via e-mail...
You used to be able to use the entire site by e-mail, in fact that was the ONLY way to use it at first. The web interface came later, and evenutally gave up mantaining the e-mail interface due to lack of use.
bobbybellona wrote:Or you could let us download pgn-file containing all games stored, and use or own pgn-viewers. (or send on mail to those interested, guess it would take up a lot of bandwidth if it was available for right-click-download from the site itself).
The archive is about 50Mb compressed, too big to send by e-mail, and would take up too much bandwidth to offer for download to everyone on the site. And I certainly don't want to spend any time mailing out CDs to everyone. I might be able to upload it to a newsgroup (e.g. alt.binaries.games).

toverturf
Uranium

If wishes were horses then dreamers would ride

Post by toverturf » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:50 pm

While we're wishing for things, let's add the ability to make multiple moves in a game subject to our opponents approving them, just like you can do on a postcard. :D

tellymetwise

Re: If wishes were horses then dreamers would ride

Post by tellymetwise » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:22 pm

toverturf wrote:While we're wishing for things, let's add the ability to make multiple moves in a game subject to our opponents approving them, just like you can do on a postcard. :D
It would certainly prevent some raised eyebrows looking at moves made.
I've only once encountered to mention 3 subsequent moves if a line would be followed. But the element of "surprise!" can be yummy too.

vjahagirdar

Post by vjahagirdar » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:16 am

tellymetwise wrote:Doooonnnn't use Windows XP with SUN java VM
not having any problems using Windoze with java.
seeing some on the *nix boxes