2011 Zapper Tournament Reports

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

Post by ecperreault » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Welcome to Page 5 of the Zapper Reports!
This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with the the result of sour of Team Keep Em Checkmated and pwillows of that Most Awesome Team ... ... ... Caissa's Chosen!
It started as a sort of weird Italian Opening with an unusual b6 by Black thrown in just to make things interesting ... ... ... By move 7 sour was throwing everything at pwillows Kingside trying for an early knockout ... ... ... But when pwillows played 7... 0-0!! directly into sour's attack! It was a statement move to sour that his idea was not going to work.
After losing a Minor Piece, sour re-doubled his Kingside Attack and threw more and more into the Fires of pwillows defense ... ... ... Finally, after 10 moves of massive attacks by sour, pwillows started his Kingside Counter-attack ... ... ...
The superb counter-attack crested with 20...Ne2 Check and sour's Queen fell to the Knight Fork ... ... ... sour made pwillows fight until the end.
pwillows scored his FIRST win of the Zapper Memorial Tournament with this fine game.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:33 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with the the result of jvanmechelen of The Beerdrinkers Team and angelofthenight of Team Keep Em Checkmated... ... ...
It started as a Larsen's Opening, then transposed into a Bird's Opening (That's why they are on Board 1) ... ... ...
By move 7, jvanmechelen made his intentions clear, that he was going for an early knockout with a Kingside Attack ... ... ... angelofthenight calmly made replies to each threatening move as it was played. Seeing that the Kingside Attack was not going anywhere, jvanmechelen seized and locked up the Center with a massive pawn structure, hoping to use it to spearhead a future plan. angelofthenight calmly played 15... Ne7 letting jvanmechelen know that his pawns were not going to succeed in that idea either ... ... ...
After 18 a4, there were 11 !!! Pawns fighting for the Center of the board!
angelofthenight's 23... Bxa4 must have been a dart into jvanmechelen's balloon ... ... ... and after the slipup, 26 Nf3?, angelofthenight settled the matter with the final move which brought about jvanmechelen's Resignation

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:52 am

as I said beauty and brains what a package!

sour

Post by sour » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks for being so nice reporting my loss, ecperreault. After all I'm not having a good day... My hair won't cooperate and islanderfan keeps slapping the back of my head everytime I make a move he doesn't like.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:57 am

Yup my team is slipping Korinskalov and the other KGB members will be around soon!

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Sour, I am sure islanderfan will tell you, anything I can do for HIS team... usually is not for the best of it, :P
'Korinskalov', that was a goodie...
I think I will steal it and make a storyline using it. No hard feelings, just good Reporting, eh?

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:58 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with another game where a Team Keep Em Checkmated player, sour this time, goes down in flames; this time to redketchuplover of Team Tyr ... ... ...
When I saw the finished position, I thought at first that redketchuplover was using his second set of Pieces. However, after looking at the signed scoresheet it became clear that a major bloodbath had occurred ... ... ... This Sicilian Defence went rather well for redketchuplover, I thought. By move 10 redketchuplover had gotten rid of 2 of his own pesky Pawns for 2 of sour's minor Pieces ... ... ... Then it got good for redketchuplover!
Let's just say that the ending was rather poetic.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:11 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with a nice game between cliff, the Captain of Team Tyr, and pumpkin of The Beerdrinkers ... ... ... except for the great results of jsiebert and mi of Boards 4 & 5, The Beerdrinkers haven't had much to cheer about in this Second Round ... ... ... Which means we don't get to see much of the Cheergirls either... let's go guys!
This game was a nicely played Old Indian Defense until the questionable 6... Qa5?! by pumpkin (see the last move of the game). This was followed shortly by 10 ... 0-0-0? and I am thinking cliff saw 483 ways to win the game from this position.
... ... ... After cliff played 18 b4, pumpkin thought he had caught cliff napping and pounced with 18...Nxc3! ... ... ... but, this turned out to be just a 'pounce' into an open trap which cliff sprung with 19 Qg4 Check!!!

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Last edited by ecperreault on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:46 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with more Round 2 games ... ... ... cmulligan of Caissa's Chosen has just dropped his game vs johnb of Team Tyr ... ... ...
It was trench warfare until cmulligan fired 21 g4! and all doodah broke loose! ... ... ... When the dust and smoke from gun powder cleared, johnb found himself a Pawn ahead and it was his move. He carefully worked that into a win a few moves later and with that, Team Tyr finds itself back in the lead once more!

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:05 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with more Round 2 games ... ... ... johnb of Team Tyr has just completed a sweep vs cmulligan of Caissa's Chosen ... ... ...
cmulligan sacrificed a Pawn early in hopes of launching a Kingside Attack using the half-opened f-file at a later time. When johnb landed the striking 18Ne6!, it looked bad for cmulligan, but he skillfully extracted himself from that Knight Fork and the game played on ... ... ...
johnb kept applying the pressure and when cmulligan played 23... a5?, his house of cards came crashing down upon Board 4, as with this completed game the Board 4 Matches are complete!

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:13 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with important news ... ... ... The Board 4 Tournament is COMPLETE ... ... ...

The Board 4 results of Round 2 are as follows:

1st - Image mi (The Beerdrinkers)
2nd - Image johnb (Team Tyr)
3rd - Image cmulligan (Caissa's Chosen)
4th - Image islanderfan (Keep Em Checkmated)
* Any Tie-breakers will be announced later as soon as payments are received IN FULL

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:27 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with important news cliff of Team Tyr has just brought down pawnraider of Team Keep Em Checkmated ... ... ... pawnraider tried the MOST-POPULAR 1...a6 Defense, but never got the Queenside rolling. cliff showed great patience and kept building the pressure slowly ... ... ...
cliff saw his chance at move 12 and played Qg4! and the banana was thrown into the fan!

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:35 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with important news, ecperreault of Caissa's Chosen has Drawn with cliff of Team Tyr ... ... ...
This game was rather goofy from both sides and was agreed to a Draw after 17 moves and a TOTAL of 2 minutes of time used in the game ... ... ... cliff refused to develop his Pieces, and ecperreault refused to play with decency!
... ... ... It is safe to say that this game need not find its way into any Databases.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:57 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with important news, pcmvr of Caissa's Chosen has defeated jvanmechelen of The Beerdrinkers... ... ... When a 2900 player Opens with 1 b4?!, you know he is in a fighting mood ... ... ...
Now I ain't no Chess Playing Guru, but after pcmvr played 12 Rfd1, it sure seemed to me like he was whomping jvanmechelen aside the grey brain matter pretty good.
I think one of these guys need to add commentary, because I don't really understand their thoughts. But the game ended as a badly needed win for Caissa's Chosen, who is trying to catch Team Tyr in the ever-changing standings.
... ... ... Final position:

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:04 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with important news, angelofthenight of Keep Em Checkmated has Drawn with energy of Team Tyr... ... ...
This is another one of those games between players who play so well, I get lost.
... ... ... It was an Italian Opening, which usually mean Drawn games and this was no different. It never really had a chance to be anything different, and was ended with an agreed Draw after 17 moves.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:14 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with important news, iamachessstudent of Caissa's Chosen has Checkmated heyuneverno of Keep Em Checkmated... ... ...
heyuneverno was greatly over matched in this game by iamachessstudent, and I think it was heyuneverno who ended up being the Chess Student in this Queen's Gambit Accepted.
... ... ... It looked all but over after 8...Rb8? And I shall leave any further comments to these players if they wish to add them.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:29 pm

A lot of good games!

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:50 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with interesting news ... ... ...
I have added up all 5 players Elo Ratings from each team and here is the Results:
Caissa's Chosen . . . . . . 12347
Team Tyr . . . . . . . . . . . . 12241
Keep Em Checkmated . . 11158
The Beerdrinkers . . . . . . 11051
*** Just in case you were wondering.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks for the good words on my game!
For the record, the score was (with a few of my own annotations):

imachessstudent ---heyuvernero

1. d4 d5
2. c4 dc4 (Queens Gambit Accepted)
3. e4 Nc6
4. Nf3 Bg4
5. Bc4 Nf6 (5...Bf3 is a good alternative)
6. Qb3!? hitting the b7 pawn, and novel in this position...6. d5 and 6. e5 have both been played her before. I didnt want to play either move and had looked at this idea months ago for an OTB tournament, but never got to play it until now! 6...e6
7. Qb7 ...Nd4?? a game loser unfortunately, the best choice was 7...Na5; 8. Bb5+, Ke7 tho White still has a nice edge!
8. Nd4 wining material...Rb8 (or..Bc5 at this point it no longer matters).
9. Bb5+ Nd7
10. 10. Qa7 with a hugre edge..I give the rest opf the game w.o comment.
11. Bb5xd7 Ke8xd7
12. Qa7xc5 Qd8f6
13. Nd4c6 Rb8b6
14. Nc6e5 Kd7c8
15. Ne5xg4 Qf6d8
16. Ng4e5 Rb6d6
17. Qc5a7 Rd6b6
18. Qa7a8 Rb6b8
19. Qa8a6 Rb8b7
20. Ne5c6 Qd8d7
21. Qa6a8 Rb7b8
22. a8xb8

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Move #20 illegal move illegal!!!!

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:44 pm

LOL
PSH silly boy !! ALL legal from e5 to c6 look at your board u cheater:)

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:22 pm

As the 'disputed' bouncer here on the Zapper Reports,
I must say that you can't text islanderfan that way...
He has problems reading long sentences...
Just slap him briskly with an open hand in back of the head :P

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:24 am

Where is the all and mighty Clifford?? He also said it was illegal!!!!!! Damn it I want justice!!!!

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:02 pm

You will be duly have your fingernails removed at noon tomorrow ... Justice served.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:09 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with the game energy of Team Tyr vs jvanmechelen of The Beerdrinkers ... ... ...
This is why I am not a 3500+ Rated Chessplayer! I am a virtual walking Encyclopedia of Chess knowledge as you all know, however, ... ... ... I will never understand why players resign when they lose a Pawn. Take this game for a great example ... ... ...
jvanmechelen just resigned to energy in this nice Queen Gambit's Accepted. We all know that energy is a very good player, and we can see there is a slight ... ... ... 650 Elo Rating points difference between these two fine players. Here was the final position:
Hmmm, now I know I am not supposed to personally get involved with the history changing stories and events that I witness and that I am just to report ... ... ... THE FACTS with no emotion, but I think there was a lot of meat and potatoes left on this square platter!
Here are my points:
1) If we remove all the even material on the board except the 2 Kings, White has 1 Pawn left ... hardly a forced win there.
2) Energy has been known to make mistakes - I checked, he has lost some games.
3) jvanmechelen is a lot better than his rating - He and I have played 7 moves in our game and I already feel like a rug being beaten with a club outside to get the dirt out of it.
4) Odds of a Checkmate are very slim - especially after a future Kf8 by jvanmechelen.
5) Most importantly, islanderfan says he can whip energy and any other woodpusher on Team Tyr - anytime, anywhere and even spot them 2 Pawns!
If that had been me playing energy and it was my move now! I can see a winning line already involving a special sequence of moves starting with the Rook trade, then the mind-numbing 23 ...
EDITOR: Due to the recent storm between Grabmyack and the Central Office, our junky Teletype machine was not able to receive the complete transmission. You now are returned to real life :?:

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Last edited by ecperreault on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:02 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with more games from Round 2! ... ... ... pwillows of Caissa's Chosen Team vs sour from Team Keep Em Checkmated was a nicely played Vienna Game ... ... ... for a few moves! With move 9. f3! pwillows said, 'Nice to know you, Mate! - Now let's play real Chess!' and it turned not so friendly ... ... ... After move 11 Bxe4 sour had grabbed his third Pawn for pwillows Knight and pwillows was working out an attack already. At move 14 ... 0-0, the trigger pwillows had been waiting for went off! ... ... ... After Castling on the Queenside and trading off the Queen, pwillows played 23 Rdf1 and it was all done except finding the Checkmate ... ... ...
The final position with the Knight giving Checkmate is a very unusual position indeed.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:43 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with more games from Round 2! ... ... ... The game pawnraider of Team Keep Em Checkmated vs pumpkin from The Beerdrinkers was an unusually played Queen's Pawn Game ... ... ... Development by both players was achieved by move 13 without the Queen Rooks ... ... ...
After 18... a6, the position was absolutely unknown in The annals of Chess!
From moves 20-24 pumpkin took his Knight on an improbable Knight-Tour of d5-e4-c3-d5 and survived! While making a Capture! ... ... ... The fatal mistake by pawnraider, irronically, was the capture of this very Knight still at d5 - 29 Nxd5? and pumpkin brought about pawnraider's Resignation a couple moves later.
What makes this game GREAT, is that The Cheergirls were finally spotted in the Skittles Room taking part in a Victory Party being thrown by The Beerdrinkers ... ... ... Myaria took some pictures, but got caught up in all the hoopla and hasn't been since. Those picture mostly won't get by the Censors now anyways ... ... ...

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:57 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with more games from Round 2! ... ... ... The game johnrbrown of Team Tyr vs sisterofmercy from The Beerdrinkers Team was a Queen's Pawn Game, Veresov Variation ... ... ... With both players Pawn structures being blown into a lot of isolated islands early, neither side really wanted to goof up so early in a game. They played a few polite 'You lead - I follow' moves, agreed to a Draw, and went to lunch.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:21 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with a Second Round Game from Board 3. ecperreault of Caissa's Chosen vs pumpkin of The Beerdrinkers - It was a rarely played opening called ... ... ... King's Gambit Declined; given who was playing the Black Pieces, it was a normal Opening for ecperreault who has been fond of 1...a6 or 1...h6 regardless of White's first move ... ... ... Knowing this pumpkin tried the uncommon 1.f4!? and ecperreault replied with the rare 1... e5?! and it was on!
... ... ... There was no super calculations in this game, just great Beer and Slobber-Knocker Chess! pumpkin brought a few 'samples' of brew to the table with him and by move 5 ... ... ... he was sharing it with all at the table (probably explains some of the late moves in this game) ... ... ...
A mis-counting of 'I take you', 'You take me', 'I take you', etc by pumpkin at move 19 led to him having to resign in this position ... ... ...

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Last edited by ecperreault on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:41 am

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with another game from Round 2. The little snot-nosed kid has struck again! ... ... ... ecperreault of Team Caissa's Chosen has defeated pumpkin of The Beerdrinkers. This prepared Pirc Defense lines pumpkin had planned all went up in flames with ecperreault's 2nd move: h3?! ... ... ... ecperreault had a heavy positional and development advantage by move 13, and at move 16 he started pushing on the Kingside! ... ... ... pumpkin got lost in all the threats and ecperreault kept the one move threats coming. With pumpkin's Queen out of the way, it was difficult for him to create an accurate Defense. The Knight Sacrifice at move 23 all but sealed the outcome and the game wound down gracefully ... ... ... Both players had very nice table manners and the chat which was exchanged was very nice. It was too bad to see this game end ... ... ...

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Last edited by ecperreault on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:51 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with the game redketchuplover of Team Tyr vs jsiebert of The Beerdrinkers. This game was a stout Queen's Pawn Game in which redketchuplover chose a highly unusual, if not unique, Opening Position after move 10 ... ... ... jsiebert made sound developing moves - BUT, on move 15... Bh3?, redketchuplover found the OUTSTANDING Sacrifice: 16 Nxc6 Check!!! Which led to the destruction of jsiebert's Defense and laid waste to all around her King ... ... ... The rest of the game was efficiently conducted by redketchuplover and the 2 Queens on the Board by White while Black still has her original Queen was interesting as well.

ecperreault

Re: 2011 Zapper Tournament Reports

Post by ecperreault » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:54 am

Woo hoo, isn't this modern!!!
Spiffy...

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:12 am

Very nice indeed:)

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:52 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with not much important news ... ... ... pcmvr of Caissa's Chosen and angelofthenight of Keep Em Checkmated have just agreed to 2 Draws ... ... ...
The first is angelofthenight holding the White Pieces. This French Tarrasch game developed along well-trodden lines and angelofthenight chose 14 Rc1 to which pcmvr chose h6?! as his reply ... ... ... angelofthenight played 21 Bxh6! hoping to get something going, but when pcmvr replied with 21... Nxe5! angelofthenight withdrew, repelled pcmvr's try at a counterattack and they agreed to this Draw.
aotnt-pcmvr.jpg
aotnt-pcmvr.jpg (41.08 KiB) Viewed 53044 times
Last edited by ecperreault on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:59 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with not much important news ... ... ... pcmvr of Caissa's Chosen and angelofthenight of Keep Em Checkmated have just agreed to 2 Draws ... ... ...
In the second game, pcmvr is holding the White Pieces. This game started with 1 b4 and got weird from there.
... ... ... After 10 d4 c5, it looked more like they were playing a Fischer Random 960 game! Following along, however, shows that nothing happened ... ... ... except they traded off stuff and the game was bland. Maybe one of the players can offer some insight.
pcmvr-aotnt.jpg
pcmvr-aotnt.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 53044 times

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:49 am

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with jsiebert of The Beerdrinkers vs redketchuplover of Team Tyr. This was a Sicilian with an unusual handling by jsiebert, ... ... ... in that she moved her Knights 9 times in the first 15 moves, which amounted to a couple great early Knight Tours! - and they both survived!
... ... ... To say Judy had a development problem though, would be stating the obvious. redketchuplover, being the person he is - for a better way of putting it - took full advantage of the nice lady when she was vulnerable ... ... ... He launched a Kingside Attack with 15 ....h5, shutdown any hopes Judy had of launching a Queenside Attack, ... ... ... then inexplicably moved his Knights 4 times in a row! Losing his Queen in the process!! ... ... ...
Now, with Judy having a great material advantage, she was determined to get out of the shell she found herself in ... ... ... After 5 moves, jsiebert had not solved the way out and redketchuplover had coordinated his Minor Pieces into a nice attack on jsiebert's trapped Kingside! ... ... ... After 32... Bxg2 all was lost for The Beerdrinkers player.
judys-redd.png
judys-redd.png (21.4 KiB) Viewed 53011 times

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:56 am

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with pwillows of Caissa's Chosen vs jsiebert of The Beerdrinkers ... ... ... This was an unusual Queen Pawn's Game which was 'politely' played in the opening with neither side attempting anything tricky or risky. After 16 f4?! ... ... ... it looked as though pwillows was going to evict all his Pawns from his side of the board, for most of them had been flung at Judy, helter-skelter! Judy pounced on Pete's later error ... ... ... with 30 ... Bg5! winning the Exchange and it looked good for The Beerdrinkers as a Cheergirl came over near the board to observe ... and be observed!
... ... ... After a badly calculated Sacrifice, Pete was awaiting the 'coup de grâce',
Oh_No.png
Oh_No.png (108.79 KiB) Viewed 53011 times
fully expecting Judy to play 44... QxR Check!!! which would result in his immediate Resignation for she would be a Full Rook up in an easy endgame. However, Judy played the immediate Drawing move 44... Rf7??? allowing Pete to exhale, the Team of Caissa's Chosen breathed a sigh of relief, and the Cheergirl sulked off.
petew-judys.png
petew-judys.png (20.54 KiB) Viewed 53011 times
NOTE: Small things decide large Tournaments.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:10 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with NO important news, just thought I would share this image which I took while at the Grabmyack Museum ... ... ... It was in an unnoticed corner - generally out of the public's eye.
... ... ... Is it just Art? Or is it an interesting rendition of 3D Chess?! ... ... ... Eye candy for thought.
treechessboard.jpg
treechessboard.jpg (20.58 KiB) Viewed 53010 times

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:11 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament, I was just browsing the newest Shogi books at the Grabmyack Library, when who should I run into ... ... ... but Cliff, the Captain of Team Tyr!
... ... ... We said polite 'Hellos' and I snapped this image of him during 'Studious' time.
Studious_Cliff.jpg
Studious Cliff
Studious_Cliff.jpg (50.59 KiB) Viewed 52999 times

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:09 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with important news ... ... ... The Board 5 Tournament is COMPLETE ... ... ...
The Board 5 results of Round 2 are as follows:

1st - Image redketchuplover (Team Tyr)
2nd - Image jsiebert (The Beerdrinkers)
3rd - Image pwillows (Caissa's Chosen)
4th - Image sour (Keep Em Checkmated)

* Any Tie-breakers will be announced later as soon as payments are received IN FULL

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:23 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with the Round 2 game between
sisterofmercy of The Beerdrinkers vs iamachessstudent of Team Caissa's Chosen ... ... ... Caissa's Chosen remains in a fight for the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournement Title as the Second Round winds down. Every game gains in importance from now on ... ... ... With 6 h4?!, sisterofmercy took this Old Indian Defense into interesting lines in the Opening. With move 9...d5, iamachessstudent stated to sisterofmercy - 'Let's get it on Sister!' Sacrificing a Central Pawn for great minor Piece deployment and an Offensive Queenside Castling, iamachessstudent started teaching this 'class' ... ... ...
16...g5! worked like a can opener on sisterofmercy's King position. And with 19...Qh7 it was all but decided.
somcy-imachstu.png
somcy-imachstu.png (23.94 KiB) Viewed 52956 times

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:33 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with the Round 2 game between sisterofmercy of The Beerdrinkers vs heyuneverno of Team Keep Em Checkmated ... ... ... This Queen's Gambit Accepted was almost a 'Miniature'. sisterofmercy had won a Pawn CLEAR and the Center by move 8 ... ... ... heyuneverno never even got started in this game as sisterofmercy kept the pressure on throughout! sisterofmercy won a Knight on move 14, then forced heyuneverno into a rare early King-Walk which continued all the way to h3 !!! The Bishop Mate was a nice 'Poetic' touch.
somercy-heyun.png
somercy-heyun.png (22.34 KiB) Viewed 52955 times

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:40 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with the Round 2 game between sisterofmercy of The Beerdrinkers vs johnrbrown of Team Tyr ... ... ... This uncommon Nimzowitch Defense left my Opening Book early and never really developed into a fighting game. sisterofmercy had a bit more room in the center, but johnrbrown had an advantage on the Queenside ... ... ... Both players were satisfied with the Draw and spared no time exiting the Game Room.
sistermerc-jbrn.png
sistermerc-jbrn.png (27.86 KiB) Viewed 52955 times

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:54 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament with the Round 2 game between redketchuplover of Team Tyr vs sour of Team Keep Em Checkmated ... ... ... This Ruy Lopez lived up to its reputation for long drawn out games by lasting 68 moves ... ... ...
To see the explosiveness of these 2 players - play through moves 7-11! They might not be the most correct moves, but it shows that these players aren't afraid to take chances - and Draws Be Damned! ... ... ...
At move 30 redketchuplover FINALLY completes his development AFTER having his Second AND 3rd Ranks occupied by sour's Rooks, but getting 2 of sour's Pawns in return ... ... ... WHEW! This game had excitement at every turn. I include a link to the game here:
http://www.net-chess.com/viewgame.cgi?p1=g1105087980
Quite worth playing through!
Who lost? Nobody!? But redketchuplover won this excellent game.
This may turn out to be the most exciting game of the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament.
REDKET-SOUR.png
REDKET-SOUR.png (15.57 KiB) Viewed 52955 times

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 am

NOTE: The Zapper Reports will undergo a few changes for Round 3
A. The use of ChessFlash to display games and chessboards.
B. Links (URLs) to the games for easy access.
C. Brian is going to color some nice pictures for us.
D. I will... well ... maybe I won't. Oh, Heck... I will defeat Brian again! ...maybe.
E. Something else goes here.
F. Another new thing here.
G. You really read this stuff!?
H. etc

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:43 pm

This your UNBIASED Reporter here at the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament 'The Evidence' mystery was placed in the 2011 Zapper Memorial Tournament Scoreboard, because it seemed to belong there more than here...