ratings

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
rhand

ratings

Post by rhand » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:18 am

I would like to know what the ratings are in real competition.

My (belgium) rating is 1862.

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:49 am

Well,since this is a closed(and smaller) playing pool,you cant expect a direct correlation.However;assuming the Belgium rating system is similar to the US one(my apologies if this is an incorrect assumption),I've read that you can expect your established rating to wind up being 100-200 pts higher roughly.I dont make any guarantees of course,but this is probably the best answer based on what I've read here on the forums.

My personal advice would be to just ignore the rating and enjoy the games;or if you do use it to judge progress or for comparisons,then just use it as it stands alone on the site.Also bear in mind provisional ratings will vary wildly,then settle down some once a player has hit the 20 game mark and becomes established.

I'm pretty new here so if I'm wrong on anything,hopefully some of the other players here will correct me soon.Hope this helps! :D

rhand

Post by rhand » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 am

Tx for your answer but i am just curious how the people on this site are doing in "real" competition.

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Oh! I see.I misunderstood.Speaking for myself;my postal rating was a bit over 1900 USCF back when I was playing some years ago.My otb rating was low but rising.Had a tendancy to totally choke under any kind of time pressure.lol

blinddog

Post by blinddog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Several other people have asked this question as well, and it seems, anecdotally at least, that your net-chess rating is roughly 500-600 points above your "real" rating.

My OTB USCF rating is around 1600, but on here it is in the range of 2000 - 2300.

It's a popular question, and you can find other posts on this topic in the message boards if you dig through it. There are some good explanations on how the rating system works and the math behind it.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:43 pm

I also have asked and found that it averages between 500-800 points (over) your true rating...always giving a few points her or there...

Its not totally accurate, but it is in the ball park figure, most of the time!