Favorite Openings...and why?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
iamachessstudent

Favorite Openings...and why?

Post by iamachessstudent » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:30 am

I thought it would be kind of neat to have people tell us what their favorite openings were and why they became their favorites...it will be fun and let us into the heads of some of our friends :)
I will go first!

Well, im a VERY devoted QP player 1.d4 after studying openings and following games, I did not to have to get up on all that Najdorf sicilian theory, ruy lopez and the other open 1...e5 games...So I like the QP much better as White can sometimes control the opening he wants to play or at least stay away from openings he does not want to play!

Now against the E pawn, I play mainly either the caro kann 1...c6 or the Siclian, Sveshnikov or the Kalashnikov variations..they seem to suit me better and I can play for a Win as Black if White isn't sure , the Caro Kann is calmer and I use it to maintain balance and for draws when I feel a need to need one.

Now against the D pawn, Ill use either primarily the Slav Defense or a Grunfeld...and if I'm in a very feisty mood, the Benko can be played. ITs a mood thing :)

Im a strict 1.d4 2. c4 and 3. Nc3player when allowed, I don't deal in Queen's Indian, Catalan, London, Trompowsky or any of that, to me, nonsense.

NOW that I have told, who will be brave enough to post their stories??
Come on!! :)

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 am

I pretty much just try to play sound moves.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:07 pm

That makes sense also.... ty for at least posting:)

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Why be sneaky, I prefer the direct approach!!!!

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm pretty narrow in my own openings as compared to some. As I've said before I have not the memory nor the inclination to memorize a great many variations of openings, so I tend to play the ones I've become comfortable with.

As white, much like Josh, I lean towards the Queen Pawn games a fair deal against stronger opposition. The d4-c4-Nc3 alignment seems sound, and I've had a good bit of success from it.

I also like the English Opening, and the positions arising from it.

I play e4 and the Reti openings at times also. I've been dabbling for the last year on and off with the KIA, but have never really gotten a nice feel for it, and rarely use it.

I've been tempted of late to start trying Bird's Opening , but that hasn't yet happened.

As Black, I'm pretty much a strict Sicilian player against e4. Against d4, I'm very fond of the Modern Defence systems and the Grunfeld. Sometimes, I'll toss in a KID though.

The Caro-Kann and French defences I find very unwieldy, at least for myself. I've never really gotten good positions from them.

Really though, I agree with redketchuplover to a good extent: "I try to find sound moves."

....And such is the game, that the soundest moves are often the hardest to find!

:)
Last edited by cliff on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:57 pm

...Although can't knock Brian's direct approach idea either!!!

:D

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:38 am

Unfortunately most of my moves are quiet :cry:

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:08 pm

I just try to play the moves that seem the least worst, though I frequently fail. ;)
Greg Miller

ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

OK...

Post by ecperreault » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:01 pm

I enjoy unusual opening moves in regular over-the-board games:
1h3 or 1 a3 wih White. A lot of times I play both to start a game!
1...h6 or 1...a6 with Black regardless of White's opening move. A lot of times I play both to start a game!
I have quite a few games here using this approach also. Leads to enjoyable and less predictable openings.
Throw out those opening books! But, alas once in a while it leads to a regular line...

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:36 am

All those are great and Ya what Brian said is also a good consistent way to go as well :)
I guess we wll like different things from the baroque (1.a3 and 1. h3 to the KIA to the Slav, Grunfeld or Bird!
Thats why I love the game so, Jeff taught me allot about the changing scope and how beautiful a game can bet when u look at it and examine it part by part and its always different because NONE of us think alike, thats my favorite part about the game!
what good for me isnt for u or u like it for different reasons..and we can all agree to disagree OTB and no wars no rage no shootings lol its the best!

cliff

Post by cliff » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:21 pm

iamachessstudent wrote:All those are great and Ya what Brian said is also a good consistent way to go as well :)
I guess we wll like different things from the baroque (1.a3 and 1. h3 to the KIA to the Slav, Grunfeld or Bird!
Thats why I love the game so, Jeff taught me allot about the changing scope and how beautiful a game can bet when u look at it and examine it part by part and its always different because NONE of us think alike, thats my favorite part about the game!
what good for me isnt for u or u like it for different reasons..and we can all agree to disagree OTB and no wars no rage no shootings lol its the best!
You know Josh, you may have come the closest I've ever heard or read to defining the true meaning of the game. Well said, my friend, and thank you. It brightened my day to be reminded just why I love the game so much!

:D

- Cliff

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:48 am

TY so much Cliff, but Jeff drilled that in my head he truly LOVED the game because of all those human elements!
I wish every1 wold try and look at the game that way, I think they would get a hell of a sense of fulfillment if they did!
Thanks again Cliff and HAPPY EASTER ALL!!

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Hello everyone.New to Net-Chess,but look forward to getting to know you all.Invited in by an old friend I played chess with in school(many,many years ago,lol).

As far as openings go,I absolutely love the Sokolsky(Polish to some) as white.I pretty much play it exclusively unless I'm just in a mood to try something different.I enjoy that it's not so heavily "booked" as many openings & it's often underestimated as well.I'm always happy to take advantage of someone's overconfidence! :D

For black;against e4 or d4,I play the almost unknown Guatemalan defense(basically 1.e4 b6 2.d4 ba6).Would not claim to be expert with it,but I generally have fun playing it.That is really the best reason I can give as to why I play it.I just enjoy it,which is why I play games in the first place.
Against other white openings,I pretty much just play it by ear.
Hope you all dont mind a Net-Chess noobie tossing in his two cents.Have fun & happy gaming!

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi Chris, and on behalf of myself & everyone else, Welcome to the Site!

You'll find a lot of good competition here, a lot of camaraderie, and a lot of good (and sometimes volatile!) conversation in the forum!

I hope to get in a game with you soon, my friend. And again, Welcome!

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:45 am

Indeed, Hi Chris!
WE welcome ALL comments and as Cliff said, it can get very interesting:)
Glad to hear your openings nad definitely look forward to playing down the line!!
Best of luck to ya and TY for your input man, we so appreciate it!!:)

Joshua

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:47 am

I appreciate the welcome.It may take me a while to knock the dust off so to speak,as it's been a few years since I've had the chance to play much.I've had too many distractions to devote the time to it I would have liked.I do look forward to having the chance to start playing again some though & this seems like a nice place to do so.Thanks for the responses & I look forward to meeting you all across the board at some point. :)

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:57 pm

We do also Chris... get that dust off !! :)

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Forgot to mention,I've also played the Modern Defense a bit in the past...by played,I meant I've been crushed,humiliated & pee'd on while attempting to play it.lol May try to work with it some more,but don't expect too much.

Always willing to expand my opening arsenal...by expand,I meant get beaten in new,interesting ways... :lol: