The End Game -- Frank Brady

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
imreallylousy

The End Game -- Frank Brady

Post by imreallylousy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:55 am

The End Game is a remarkably well written book on the personal life of Bobby Fischer. Frank Brady knew Fischer for most of the latter's life, and he knew most of those individuals who at one time or another were close to him. Fischer, some say, was the greatest chess play who ever played the game; that he was without equal and his chess genius probably will never be matched. Tragically, Fischer was not able to handle his genius. His inability to do so resulted in a monumental loss to the wonderful world of Chess, and saddens all of us who love the game.

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Is there a lot of new info on Mr.Fischer in that book. I presume you have it. tia

imreallylousy

The End Game

Post by imreallylousy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:37 pm

For me, yes. The book is about Fischer's persona away from the board. Something I knew little about apart from what was reported in the press which, of course, was mostly derogatory. Brady shows us a man who was certainly very intelligent yet still an inexplicable mixture of insanity and human kindness; capable of very irrational behavior yet capable of unparalleled precision on the chess board. I throughly enjoyed the book although at the same time it saddened me. Fischer, while in total control of his chess game, was unable to cope otherwise. How very sad that is.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:47 am

Ok, I just downloaded it to my Kindle. Don't spoil the ending.
Greg Miller

imreallylousy

The End Game

Post by imreallylousy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 am

Greg: I hope you enjoy the book. We all know the ending is the most important element of the game. Fischer, of course, lost this one.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:29 pm

Finished it a couple days ago. I haven't really read much about Fischer, so pretty much everything in the book was news to me. Hearing how much work he put into chess was quite inspirational. Great book.

I saw today that Watai was just now named the heir to Bobby's belongings:
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7057

I was wondering why that part of the book just seemed to stop without an ending.
Greg Miller

imreallylousy

The End Game

Post by imreallylousy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Greg: Glad to read you enjoyed the book. I suspect the book did not elaborate on the inheritance issue because Brady did not have any conclusive evidence as to how it would work out at the time he finished the book.