Rude Behavior and Using Chess Programs

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
smurfchess

Rude Behavior and Using Chess Programs

Post by smurfchess » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:34 pm

I am a fair player, even at my local club which meets at the Library my 'Club Rating' is 2040. I have quite a few games ongoing here and have 9-10 with an unbelievably talented player titled 'acidtest' who has a rating from between 2960-3000 depending on the day.
I HAVE A MODEST RECORD HERE SLIGHTLY ABOVE .500. I have no great wins but do have a couple brilliant loses!
I have a current game vs. acidtest
http://www.net-chess.com/viewgame.cgi?p1=g1105047077 and he has been crushing me as he does in all our other games.
My question is - is it allowed to use chess programs here on Chess.NET? I ask for acidtest has made it plain in his texts that he uses a Ryblika program (or something like that spelling).
Furthermore, acidtest has made it a point to tell me of my bad play and writes insults at me. I find that his behavior is rather tiresome and is there anyway to block his texting?
I tried to email you, Mr Miler but it came back undeliverable (?) so I voice my concerns in this public forum.
smurfchess

jumpnmustang

Post by jumpnmustang » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:14 pm

I have seen reasons to believe those people exist on here. The ones I see wait till they are in a tough position or a position where they are down a pawn with no compensation and then turn on the engine. It's usually not talked about from what I have seen, but I am not so certain that anyone above 2700 don't consult an engine at one point or another. I don't think you can do much about it on a site like this unless they have it mapped out how they deal with such problems. Rude behavior I don't come across much except for people who don't like to talk. Most like to ignore you. I would imagine that as well might be in the stage where it would need to be suggested as an addition. Like and ignore button would be useful. Where it ignores comments for remainder of game or till you reclick it to forgive him. If someone was rude like you are experiencing, I would just not play him. And resign all games I feel I am marked as worse. Then I would try to remember not to play him ever again. Would be nice to have a strict noplay type list where you can enter in a list of people the server will track for you to "not play". But again probably just a good suggestion.

Feel free to play me if you like Smurfchess. The most I would do is trash talk if both of us are comfortable with that.:-)

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:52 am

I have a rating near 2700 and for myself, I NEVER use any type of Chess program during any game I have ever played..its bad sportsmanship, and shows total lack of respect for yourself and the other player!
AS for typing insults, you cant block text, the thing Id do is just ignore him, he sounds holier than thou to me anyhow...
I love to play and I chat all the time, good bad or indifferent !

I use my chess engines and my own intellect when I annotate and catalog my games...and I do that weekly or every 10 games; I catalog them by ECO code /opening and study all sets to show where i can do better and where my opening mistakes are or where i need to improve (endgames UGH) :)

I have websites to go t for latest theory and openings... and get books occasionally if it is in one of my favorite openings...
but NEVER EVER use a chess program on this site, its an insult to YOU and more importantly, your opponent!

Good chess every1 and I hope I was not toooooooo wordy

Joshua :twisted:

smurfchess

Post by smurfchess » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Hmmm, so using chess programs is ok here? That will get you winged off most other chess sites.
No deduction needed in this case as 'acidtest' admitted using it/them more than once in texts.
I guess he understands the rules more than I here at Net-Chess.
I apologize for bringing this up at all.
smurfchess

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:44 pm

No Smurf, you are RIGHT
Its is not acceptable to use a chess program on any site I know of, but how to enforce? IF someones says they are then it is up to the other p[layers to decide of they want to play against him or not...
I just do my best every game, and it is in poor sportsmanship to use a program Id go as so far to say!

jumpnmustang

Post by jumpnmustang » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:23 pm

ICCF allows it and promotes it. As well as a few others I don't remember exact names. I don't like those sites. Most turn base sites I goto do not police that kind of activity. Like chessstudent suggests, it is better to compile a list and not play them. I find most of my games are a little crazy. I think it's because I forget what I was doing and it looks like a new position every time almost.:-) Anyway like I said Challenge me anytime.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:26 pm

Weird Mustang but you are right..
I will just make my list and not play ppl that use a PC as far as i know..I think its unsportsmanlike and verges on cheating and bad taste...

Anyone else is welcome to play me tho :) I love the game and it always shows it self to be really unpredictable and fun, win or lose, unless i blunder and even then i enjoy !

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:42 pm

here are 2 people on the list of cheaters. Cliff and Davidswhite, maybe even Nils will be a close 3rd. Why? Cause I can't beat em!!!

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:11 pm

LOL
I hear ya Islanderfan lol
I suspect cheating rarely, unless they tell me lol
Cliff is of course, one of the main ones :) lol

cliff

Post by cliff » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:03 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmmm....I get the feeling I'm being picked on here....

:cry:

Just kidding guys! I echo all your sentiments regarding the use of chess programs and also have my own complaints about those players who stop moving and time out in lost positions, rather than enjoy the struggles!

Jan (jvamechelen) and I have spoke about this problem many times, and it seems to only way to avoid it is to keep one's own lists of those players that use engines for assistance. I have a list of five or six myself, and one whom I have suspicions about. And, 'acidtest' is one that list!

Anyway, there seems to have been five different players posting to this thread, so why don't the five of us have a little tournament? I'll post it, if anyone's interested?

WE'll even include Brian, if he promises not to cheat!!!

:)

smurfchess

Post by smurfchess » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:18 am

I can play in this REAL PLAYERS ONLY match starting tomorrow. :P

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:33 am

Here here!! :twisted:

jvanmechelen

Post by jvanmechelen » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:26 am

Now that I know acidtest has admitted using rybka I have resigned my games against him. Perhaps we should all do this. I also play at chess.com, where it's absolutely forbidden to use computers. If you get caught you get kicked off the site, although there are still a lot of cheaters there: people who I beat in OTB games with my eyes closed are suddenly beating me like there's no tomorrow! Ah, the foolishness of man: they think computer assistance stands for progress, but in the end it will kill chess. :cry:

jplayer

Post by jplayer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:54 pm

Good idea.
Last edited by jplayer on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smurfchess

Tournament Prize

Post by smurfchess » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:08 pm

acidtest will donate his Ryblyka toy to the lowest score in THE REAL PLAYER Match. What a nice guy. I have just enough room in my trash can for it.

smurfchess

Post by smurfchess » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:50 pm

acidtest is still using his toy I guess. I wonder how good a player he really is without it. Should start a poll on that. I would guess he would have a rating of 2000 here without the toy. :oops:
Any one else care to guess...

acidtest

smurfchess, a faker

Post by acidtest » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm

I need to use a google translator, to come here and clarify the truth, smurfchess is using Rybka 4, I tested it here, then, before I denounce (I would not even call it-because I know that leads nowhere nor am interested in the subject) he then attacked me with bad language suggesting the use of software on my part, but watching you guys can judge throws him a rating of less than 2000, he wins more than 50 player matches twice the strength of it He is reversing everything in his posting here, was that he confessed to be a mere novice and then as he thought I was too strong, accused me, so I said, consult the board, books and especially my long experience, I am player fide then challenged him to play online live anywhere he wants the internet chess club, jaquemate, buho 21, or any other site, but he neither heeded and continues, yes, sending bids that will monitor and here are bids software, he said to me, I know the game well, so I recorded all the dialogues to prove what I say now, I invite you to visit my profile, compare it with my data are in full and it? I am a lover of chess and I'm 36 live titles, 4 state titles in my country, I played against Mecking, Karpov lost with them, but I gained many masters fides, including the International Masters champion Argentine Guillermo Soppi 2005, International Master, I understand what a program can get you through, I know that a program is wrong, does not recognize what it means to the end of pawn and bishop against bishop of opposite color I know that man is superior to machine, who does not know that the buck is smurfchess, I invite you to monitor the matches and see that it covers are to use Rybka against others, I who have revealed and he attacks me with fear, fear that? it's deplorable ....

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:33 pm

what the hell did he just say?

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Good god not again with the rating, and cheating crap. You say your 36 or u have 36 years exp, why do you let it bother you? Good lord you "players" are a bunch of whinny pussies.

acidtest

Post by acidtest » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:33 pm

this thread is useless, I play against any player, it comes with the title of grand master or the best software in the world to me I care about the game, as you do not know you and I hope never to know GOOD BYE

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:44 pm

well than wuss go join your fellow aholes that have whined cried and moaned over stupid xxxx. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:44 pm

oh and since you say you are a GM than prove it. Otherwise shut your . till you do.

killerwolf

Post by killerwolf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:00 pm

i have a good record and would not use any engine. Am fearing if i make a good move or grind out a pos, i would be accused of using a program. Then it dawned on me. Am not going to hold back from my playing just bc of some poseur making excuses for his/her losses. If I get accused, so be it, but I know I will not cheat.

Chucho

smurfchess

Post by smurfchess » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Oh boy... guess I upset someone. I don't know exactly what he is saying but I got the point about him claiming that I am using the same chess program he is using (by his own admittance). If that is so than I must have a different version because he has defeated me easily in every game we have finished and will probably win all the rest too EXCEPT for one which I used an old chess computer trick where you just blockade with pawns, trade off everything and do nothing but get bored. Its known to cause computer chess programs to not understand very well.
I am sure he will not be missed too much if he goes.
I apologize for starting this thread, but both of my emails to G Miller were returned 'undeliverable' so this was the only way I knew to complain about an opponent being rude and admitting to using a chess program to cheat which is not allowed on most sites. I know understand its OK to use them here and anything goes with the text messages also.
smurfchess - just passing through...

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Don't sweat it dude. I like the site but Greg sometimes is a bit behind. But it is he site nonetheless. But you have every right to voice your opinion.

killerwolf

Post by killerwolf » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:00 am

I would have thought that using a chess engine, program or w/e is illegal. I do have a database from where I study from. I don't really study openings all that much. Am starting to. Anyway, if youre putting your $0.02 in, why not talk about it. Censorship is quite another story.

killerwolf

Post by killerwolf » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:10 am

I would have thought that using a chess engine, program or w/e is illegal. I do have a database from where I study from. I don't really study openings all that much. Am starting to. Anyway, if youre putting your $0.02 in, why not talk about it. Censorship is quite another story.

jumpnmustang

Post by jumpnmustang » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:01 am

To clarify:

1. The topic needed to be posted.

2. It's probable that names and games should not have been mentioned as it quite honestly should be an innocent till proven guilty matter.

3. Retaliation is probably not a good response when communicating on forums.

I know that feelings can get hurt, but this is probably the best way to go. I am sure it won't be followed but at least I expressed my reasoning. I personally have not looked at the games, because I would prefer to give every their own shot at playing me regardless of what people say. In all honesty I think I have played maybe 800 games here, and I suspected 3 people. If I am wrong and there is more, don't care I just play. But, I have expressed to the people I did suspect that I suspected them and probably won't play them again. And I kept it clean. All I would suggest is maybe 'keeping it clean' is the best policy. In my opinion Computers won't ruin chess by solving it, they will ruin chess by creating means of putting humans against each other rather than have real competition, and friendly games. And that is sad indeed.

Cheers guys and I am glad you are here.;-)

abraham

Post by abraham » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:30 am

A note read in a game comment from a very high classed player on this site (2900+) : "My performance at the *** has been fairly good by now. I have 2 wins and 1 loss against players in the 2050-2200 Fide range. Let´s see what I can do in the next weekend..."
Being rated 2350 FIDE, and 2500 on this site, I cannot but conclude that pc's are being used by most (every) player with a rating of 2800-3000

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:04 am

Well once again I feel the need to voice my opinion and feelings :

I have never , nor will I EVER use a chess program on this site, in my mind, it borders on cheating and is at least, in bad taste and total disrespect of other players
I go to college but I study the openings religiously and play when I can, I have data bases and annotate all of my own games BUT never use a program on this site...I prefer to see how I do str8 up man on man or woman and regardless of ratings..I play EVERY1 that challenges me...I get beat and I win some such is Caisia!

NOW, if ppl admit to using programs WE have 2 options as I see it..
Make a PUBLIC list and those of us that choose NOT to invite these players to our tournaments, feel free not to do so!
Make NO list and continue to voice our displeasure and . about how unfair it is..I DO NOT think Greg shold be brought into this as maintaining and running this site is a full time job and he also has other things to do!
that being said DO WE MAKE A LISt for all to see and let EACH of us make up our own minds as to who we play and who we don't, that seems fair and its not "hurting feelings" because as has been mentioned, this HAS to be discussed and since we play and support the site, it is US that will make up our minds..SO list r No list?

I love to play and have made many tight friends on this site, Cliff, Jan Brian, David and others...so lets tighten it up OURSELVES and do something or STFU and go about not letting this affect us so much!
Hows that?
And we ARE affected so lets start that list on a NEW forum ppst and go from there?

what do u ALL think, please comment!@!@

joshua

jboger

Post by jboger » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:54 pm

I have found there is a large amount of rating inflation on this site at the lower levels; I am rated about 1300 on ICC standard but I am rated about 2100 here (I can't check exactly right now because it's not taking my password for some reason?). That said, I have never used a computer for correspondence chess, and I have an 800+ point rating disparity between my ICC rating and net-chess rating (and ICC ratings are themselves about 150 points above USCF!)

imreallylousy

Rude Behavior

Post by imreallylousy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:35 am

I have been playing here for years. I have encountered no rude behavior from my opponents. Frustration, yes, rude behavior, no. No gloating, no bragging, no disparaging comments. I particularly enjoy my games with JHubbard and Mi, both excellent players, both of whom have managed to deflate my chess ego more often than I like to admit. :):). I could include many others here. Suffice it to say I am grateful to all I have played for their exemplary chess behavior. Imreallylousy.