not receiving email notifications

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
algernon

not receiving email notifications

Post by algernon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:53 am

I haven't received any email notifications of any kind from net-chess since the 20th. (and yes, I've checked my spam and asked my ISP, and no, I haven't turned off notifications as far as I know and can tell). Does anyone know if there is a problem, or if the fates are picking on me?

ramawolf

Re: not receiving email notifications

Post by ramawolf » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:22 am

algernon wrote:I haven't received any email notifications of any kind from net-chess since the 20th. (and yes, I've checked my spam and asked my ISP, and no, I haven't turned off notifications as far as I know and can tell). Does anyone know if there is a problem, or if the fates are picking on me?
...the fates are not picking on you! It seems, that email notification is not working a couple of days.

jplayer

Post by jplayer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:42 am

...and by the way you can't upload a picture in your profile

joelag

No Changing of E-Mail Adress either

Post by joelag » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:12 am

I've not been able to change the e-mail adress for the forum, either. But I'm not sure if this ever has worked at all.

And I didn't see new topics marked as new.

Poor Greg! Seems there's some work to do at the moment.

neilb

Post by neilb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:07 am

I only get the notifications once a day at about 10am ECT. Before they stopped working (a few days before the site crash) I used to get them immediately when it was my move.

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:47 am

In my case, the email notifications stopped coming about a month before the site crashed!

I checked all my necessary settings as well, and still nada. They did come back for the first time (and suddenly I had several hundred!) come in all in one day after the site's return, then nothing for a few days.

I haven't checked my email for a day now, so God only knows what may be there now, if they started again.

I figure if I can still play my games, I'm happy though. My wife said I was going through withdrawal when Net-Chess was down.

Ahhhh ..... automation and computers! Ya gotta give em credit for finding new and unique ways to complicate life!

8)

dparmet

Post by dparmet » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:17 am

In my case they seem to come about exactly 24hours AFTER the move is played instead of immediately. Not that it matters for me, but maybe that info will help Greg pin the bugs and fix it.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:01 pm

There were some DNS issues a while before the crash that probably prevented some e-mail from going out. It's mostly affected by whether your ISP would allow e-mail from an apparently non-existent DNS name.

I haven't yet finished configuring e-mail on the new server, so it's not surprising that e-mail isn't working yet.
Greg Miller