Zapper 2010 Tournament Report 2

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
cliff

Zapper 2010 Tournament Report 2

Post by cliff » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:42 pm

We seem to be just over the halfway point of the Tournament! I hope everybody is enjoying this even as much as I! And a special thanks to all the participants. Although I haven't been on Net-Chess as long as most of you, I've played my share of tournaments, and I feel you're the classiest bunch I've had the pleasure of playing and working with.

:D

Thanks Again!

Now the good (or bad, depending on your score) stuff!

SERIES A

Davidswhite is now in the lead with 5 points, followed by Ramawolf at 4, and Cnita is in third with 3 points. Islanderfan has 1 point, and Mgomdysey is still at zero.

SERIES B

Iamachessstudent leads with a strong 5.5 points, followed by Cliff currently in second place with 3.5. Abiodun has 2 points, while Nhathuy has 1 point and Redketchuplover remains at zero.

SERIES C

Jpettit still leads with 6 points, Energy currently is second with 4 points, Jvanmechelen third with 3, Johnb has 1 point, and Gmiller zero.

SERIES D

Jpost leads with 5 points, Martijn is second with 3 points, Pumpkin is third with 1 point, while Mluka and Jsnyder are both scoreless, pretty much unchanged from last week.

The players in Dark Red have clinched a playoff spot and will be advancing to Round Two.
The players in Dark Blue have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. (Can anybody say "Toronto Maple Leafs"? :lol: )

It's been hard to narrow down a game of the week so I'll post one or two later in the week.

All for now! Sorry it took me so long.

:) :) :)

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 am

Nils isn't winning???? :shock: :shock: But what a surprise that Dave is winning, and he knows Cliff, and he cheats, conspiracy!!!!!

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:20 pm

LOL
you are a trip :)

abiodun

PHEW !

Post by abiodun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 pm

...............................Image

Phewww ..... I'm Exhausted ! ! !

As best that I tried ..... some of you guys in this tourney are like ......Trying to take down .....
BULLS On The Chess Board ! ! !

My Brain is Exhausted ...... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now ..... What To Do ...????....???...
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

cliff

Post by cliff » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:06 pm

A brief announcement:

Iamachessstudent just became the second player to clinch a playyoff spot!

Congratulations, Johnua!

cliff

Post by cliff » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:09 pm

:roll:

Errr....would someone like to run a spellcheck for me on the above post?
That should have read "playoff" and "Joshua".....

:oops:

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:45 am

LOL
WE forgive you oh mighty update person :)

JOSHUA :)

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:33 pm

congrats to the advancers!

abiodun

Post by abiodun » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Congrats to all the advancers ! ..... and although I realize that none of us is perfect, I must admit ...... I can't help thinking that Iamachessstudent gave me this win ...??... :roll:

Take a look at Black's 38th move in our game ......

[Event "m1268179853"]
[Site "net-chess.com"]
[White "abiodun"]
[Black "iamachessstudent"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Game "g1105023594"]

1.d4 Ng8f6 2.c4 g6 3.Nb1c3 d5 4.e3 Bf8g7 5.Ng1f3 O-O 6.Bf1e2
c5 7.dxc5 Qd8a5 8.cxd5 Nf6xd5 9.Qd1xd5 Bg7xc3 10.Bc1d2 Rf8d8
11.Bd2xc3 Qa5xc3 12.bxc3 Rd8xd5 13.Ra1b1 Rd5xc5 14.Ke1d2 Nb8d7
15.Rh1d1 Nd7f6 16.Be2d3 b6 17.Nf3d4 Rc5h5 18.Rd1h1 Bc8b7 19.f3
Ra8d8 20.Kd2c2 e5 21.Nd4b3 e4 22.fxe4 Rd8xd3 23.Kc2xd3 Bb7xe4
24.Kd3d4 Rh5d5 25.Kd4c4 Nf6g4 26.Rb1c1 Ng4e5 27.Kc4b4 Ne5d3 28.Kb4a3 Nd3xc1 29.Rh1xc1 Rd5h5 30.Rc1d1 Rh5xh2 31.g4 Rh2g2 32.Rd1d7 Rg2xg4 33.Nb3d2 Be4g2 34.e4 h5 35.Rd7d8 Kg8g7 36.e5 h4 37.Rd8d7 Rg4f4 38.e6 Kg7f6 ?! 39.e7 Bg2c6 40.e8=Q {black resigned.} 1-0

........................................Image
I'm not sure whether to Thank God, or to Thank Iamachessstudent !, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha ! ! ! Either way ..... I had a ball, so Thanks To All !
:?: :shock: :D :shock: :D
ImageChess is more than simply my pastime .... It has become My Passion !

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:11 pm

It was a good game but I BLUNDERED that move deserves 3 ???..
GOD I could not believe it...
As the saying goes, "There is no such thing as a won game until you win it"!

IT was fun to play tho, and I know we all make mistakes :)
It is part of the game and no one likes it, but thats OK:)
Win some, lose fewer (hopefully) :)

Joshua

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:31 pm

That game between Abiodun and Iamachesstudent was easily the game of the last two weeks, I think. That way I don't have to pick one!

:lol:

Anyway, I was going to do an update tonight, since there have been a few interesting developments since my last one. But thought better of it when I looked at a few more games which just possibly will end tomorrow. One way or the other, I promise to do an update then!

:!: :!: :!:

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Sorry folks, but I;m going to be delayed a day or two posting that update (again!), but there's been a death in the family. My wife's aunt. And I have a minor surgical procedure tomorrow, bit of a "nip and tuck" really. Nothing serious. So I will promise to get that update here over the weekend! Heck, by then there may be a few more games in the books, so maybe things happen for a reason!

:shock: :? 8)

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Its ok Cliff!
Take care of yourself and family, always is first!
We will look forward to the update when ever you do it :)

Be safe

Joshua

cliff

Post by cliff » Thu May 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Thigs are slowing dow, so I should be able to get some updates and games posted this weeked, but here's something interesting:
The DNS servers that the net-chess.com server uses are currently down. This is affecting the sending and receiving of e-mail. You may get an error when you're making a move if your opponent has e-mail notification turned on, but your move will be registered.

Hmmmm....Is the "Zapper" at work here, saying he's enjoying the tournament?

:shock:

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue May 18, 2010 11:35 pm

Well, I can finally give some sort of update here. Sorry it took so long.

SERIES A

David has qualified for the second round (surprise!) with 8 points.
Ramawolf is second with 7.5 points. He has one game remaing. This game, with third place Cnita, will decide who qualifies of the two. With a win or draw, Rama will advance. (I also note Cnita has offered a draw in the game, so it could be decided on the next move). Cnita, with 3.5 could advance with a win there, if Rama doesn't accept the draw and loses, and by winning his last two games against Mgomdysey.

Eliminated from the second round are:
Islanderfan with 2 points, and both Kmcpherson, 0 points, and Mgomdysey, also 0 points. The last three spots have several games between them left which will decide those standings.

SERIES B

All the games are finished, but this series still is undecided, oddly enough.

Qualifying are Iamachessstudent, who clinched first with 6.5 points, and Abiodun grabbing second with his upset win over Joshua, giving him 6 points.

Eliminated were Cliff scoring 5.5 points for third, while Redketchuplover and Nhathuy eached scored 1 point, splitting their games. Red gets the nod for fourth on tiebreak.

(Where things get weird in this series is the news of Abiodun's impending, and certainly unfortunate, departure from Net-Chess. If he is unavailable to complete Round two, the extra spot will be chosen by selecting a "wildcard" based on the third place players performance rating for the tournament. That's the only way I can think of doing it, without throwing in an elimination round of sorts. Feedback?)

SERIES C

A really interesting series!

Jpettit still has first place and qualifies for the second round with 6 points, but is in tough against Energy, second with 5 points. If Energy wins both, he grabs first. In the event of a split, Energy qualifies and takes second place. Then again, if Energy loses both to Johnathon, his game against Jvanmechelen, third currently with 4 points would decide second place.

Elininated were Johnb finishing fourth with 2 points, while Greg ends up fifth with zero.

The game between Nils and Jan is a fascinating game. It makes my selection for the current game of the week! It was move 25 before the first piece was removed from the board, and that via a potentially game changing Knight sac! Fun game, and one of the reasons I love chess!

SERIES D

While it seems certain as to who will advance, nothing is etched in stone as yet. Nobody has qualified at this time.

Jpost is first with 6 points, Martijn is second also with 5. Jpost has one game left vs Mluka, while Martijn has two lert, both of his also against Mluka.

Eliminated are:
Pumpkin with 2 points, and two games left. Mluka, 1 point, fourth place currently, is in an interesting position to qualify, which would require him winning, in effect, all of his remaining games, which would give him first place, or even second if he loses one of them. A tough hill to climb, but anything can happen as we've seen here already! Jsnyder with zero points, and one game left, is fifth.

I'll post more when I have anything vital to update. Congrats to all those advancing, and kudos to those that didn't. It took everyone entered to make this a success, so there were really no losers, just great competitors!

:)

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue May 18, 2010 11:49 pm

My choice for game of the week (Yeah, Cliff. Like you've really posted thrm on a weekly basis!) is the game between Jvanmechelen and Energy in Series C. The game is unfinished yet, but has been a joy to follow!

[Event "m1268243761"]
[Site "net-chess.com"]
[White "jvanmechelen"]
[Black "energy"]
[Result "*"]
[WhiteTimeLeft "071d 11:24:58"]
[BlackTimeLeft "025d 01:44:49"]
[Game "g1105023687"]

1.d4 c5 2.d5 e5 3.e4 d6 4.Bf1b5 Nb8d7 5.a4 Bf8e7 6.Ng1f3 Ng8f6
7.Nb1c3 O-O 8.O-O Nf6e8 9.Nf3d2 g6 10.a5 Ne8c7 11.Bb5e2 f5 12.Nd2c4
f4 13.Ra1b1 Nc7a6 14.Nc3b5 Nd7f6 15.f3 Qd8d7 16.Nb5a3 Qd7e8 17.c3
Kg8g7 18.b4 Bc8d7 19.b5 Na6b8 20.b6 a6 21.Kg1h1 g5 22.Bc1d2 Kg7h8
23.Bd2e1 Rf8g8 24.Be1f2 g4 25.Nc4xd6 Be7xd6 26.Na3c4 Qe8f8 27.g3 *

Quite a closed game!

Good luck to both!

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Wed May 19, 2010 6:49 am

Excellent update Cliff!

That game is a really interesting one, and I will be sure to follow it closely!
I have enjoyed playing in this tournament and look forward to many more games with all of the chess players here...there are allot I have not met/played yet!

Good luck to you all!!

Joshua

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed May 19, 2010 7:33 am

I should have the wild card cause I had to play against the cheater called Davidswhite!!!

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed May 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Well, Ramawolf played it safe and smart! He took the draw Cnita offered and thereby second place and a playoff spot in Round Two. Congrats!

The game wasn't a "grandmaster draw", however. It was well fought by both, and a draw was a perfect decision!

The Qualifiers as far are: Davidswhite, Ramawold, Jpettit, Iamachessstudent, and Abiodun(*).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(* Abiodun may regretably be replaced by a wildcard.)

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Thu May 20, 2010 4:00 am

Cliff, except for the typo on Ramawolf's name, you've truly done a superb job in managing and reporting on this tournament.My congratulations on your organizing skills.

Brian,what can I say that hasn't already been commented on many times before as respects the sweetness of nature so evident in your every posting on this forum? My friend, to hell with the results of the games,you will always be my choice for wild card.

Bestest,
David

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Thu May 20, 2010 6:41 am

Since I have Dave's blessing he is not a cheater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Thu May 20, 2010 8:47 am

Great updates Cliff..you really did a good job in keeping us all posted:)

Brian, deff the wild card...those jokes just make the game more enjoyable!

Here's to the best of luck to all in the 2nd round..Let's shoot for more good games and fun chats:)

Joshua

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue May 25, 2010 9:56 am

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the compliments, and in all honesty, it's been nearly as much fun for me to run this as it has been to play in it!!!

:D :D :D

(And to our beloved Brian, tell you what we'll do: We'll implement a two referee system to watch David, Josh, and Me. But I think we may have to get rid of the 'trap system'!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

One more update:
that classic game between Nils and Jan just ended in Nils' favour, so Energy qualifies for Round Two also. The only question left in that Series is the top spots. Energy and Jpettit have two games left against each other, and that'll decide it.

All for now.

- Cliff

8)

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue May 25, 2010 11:13 am

Good time to ask a couple of questions, while I'm thinking of it:

First, how many of those currently playing in the 2010 Zapper would like to participate again next year?

Second, Josh, Brian, and myself are going to take a stab at the Team Tournament this fall, Would anyone here be interested in playing?

Third, Nils made an excellent suggestion about putting together a team from Net-Chess to challange a team from another e-chess site. Would anyone here be interested in playing in that?

:roll:

Thanks. I figured I had the floor, so to speak, so I may as well ask while I have the chance.

- Cliff

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Tue May 25, 2010 11:46 am

I'm all for everything nn the site so far!!
COUNT ME IN :)

Even if we MUST play with Brian, that cheat :)

I think Teams would be fun, as would the Net-Chess Team itself..lots to look forward to in the Fall!

Joshua

energy

Participation

Post by energy » Tue May 25, 2010 1:03 pm

cliff wrote:First, how many of those currently playing in the 2010 Zapper would like to participate again next year?
I'm in.

As for team play, I like playing on teams when there's a team spirit, something in common that binds the team together. Relatively arbitrary teams playing against each others here on Net-Chess does not meet that criteria for me, but a team with the most active Net-Chess players teaming up against the world would. :twisted:
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Tue May 25, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm in for next year, but instead of the zapper tourney, it will be renamed zapper madness

jpettit

Post by jpettit » Tue May 25, 2010 3:09 pm

I'd almost certainly be interested in next year's installment, but I'll have to wait to see how the timing works out. Put me down as a tentative yes.

cliff

Re: Participation

Post by cliff » Fri May 28, 2010 12:29 am

jpettit wrote:I'd almost certainly be interested in next year's installment, but I'll have to wait to see how the timing works out. Put me down as a tentative yes.
islanderfan wrote:]I'm in for next year, but instead of the zapper tourney, it will be renamed zapper madness
iamachessstudent wrote:I'm all for everything nn the site so far!!COUNT ME IN :)Joshua
energy wrote:I'm in.As for team play, I like playing on teams when there's a team spirit, something in common that binds the team together. Relatively arbitrary teams playing against each others here on Net-Chess does not meet that criteria for me, but a team with the most active Net-Chess players teaming up against the world would. :twisted:

Okay, we certainly have a few players returning next year, and there's one or two others theat were either too late to join, or had notified us of their withdrawls, and of course, I'll be back! I gotta cheat Brian again, after all! :)

And in response to a question from Jonathon in a game we're playing, how about we follow Greg's lead in the Open? Whenever all the qualifiersfor round two are known for sure, we start the second round? Basically, that means Series D. And once the third place finishers are established, I'll work out the Performance Rating for them, and we'll determine the wildcard selection to take Abiodun's place in the round.

Hopng that sounds acceptable to everyone,

Peace!

- Cliff,

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri May 28, 2010 6:39 am

No it's my thing my idea mine mine mine me me me I am the wildcard give it to me now now now now now now mine mine mine me me me gimmie gimmie gimmie gimmie

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri May 28, 2010 8:16 am

You mean you really want to play with all those "cheaters," Brian?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

cliff

Post by cliff » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:34 pm

:x :x :x

Damn it!

I just prepared a nice, neat, attractive, informative update on the Zapper, and stupid Internet Explorer decided to crash! Grrr!

Sorry folks, too tired to do it all over tonight, so I'll redo it tomorrow!

Grrrr!

:twisted: :twisted: :evil:

Remind me to shoot Microsoft!

:(

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:18 pm

Well, after four unsuccessful attempts to post this update, and four crashes, I finally gave up and downloaded Netscape! IE seems to be annoyed with my computer for some reason!

:?

Anyway, here we go!

SERIES A

David grabbed first place with 9 points, followed by Ramawolf with 8 points. Both were undefeated, drawing their individual games, while Rama also had two draws against eliminated third place Cnita, who has 5 points and two games to go.
Also eliminated are islanderfan, fourth with 2 points, and no games left, mgomdysey, 2 points with 4 games remaining. kmcpherson is last with zero and two games to play.

I'll do the rest tomorrow. Suffice it to say that Energy took first over Jpettit in Series C, and there's still no certain winners in Series D.

Sorry to cut tonight short, but I didn't count on crashes and downloads tonight and I have a deadline for a project tomorrow I have to work on now.

Till then be good!

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:42 pm

Took one last look at the tournament page before signing off, and lo and behold! We have our finalists for Round Two...well, nearly anyway.

It looks like we have:

Davidswhite - 3000
Ramawolf - 2974
Iamachessstudent - 2776
Abiodun* - 2772
Energy - 2708
Jpettit - 2449
Martijn - 2818
Jpost - 2817

*Since Abiodun won't be here, we still have top wait for Cnita (2 games) and Mluka (3 games) to finish before working out the final tournament performances. Possibly even Mgomdysey (4 games) could be a long shot.
I'll now instead post the update on the weekend, and that will give me a chance to work out the perfomance scores that i have by then, and post them too.

Congratulations and Good Luck to all the qualifiers!

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:00 am

Good work Cliff!
I do enjoy your updates and comments; it really brings the whole tournament into a good perspective for me!
I'm looking forward to the next round for sure:)
Keep up the GREAT work Cliff!!

Joshua

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:18 am

Foul Foul Foul Dave cheated I demand an investigation!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

energy

Crashing browsers

Post by energy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:48 am

cliff wrote:Well, after four unsuccessful attempts to post this update, and four crashes, I finally gave up and downloaded Netscape! IE seems to be annoyed with my computer for some reason!
I personally use Firefox on Linux, but why don't you try Chrome? I think you'll be very nicely surprised by the speed, and it has been designed to treat each tab individually so a website crashing in one will normally not take down the whole browser.
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:35 pm

I guess I was a bit naive when it came to browsers. When I found a site to download Netscape last night, there were quite a few different ones there that I've never heard of. I do recall hearing or reading something about Chrome though.

I run Windows 2000/NT though. Is Chrome compatible with that platform, Nils? Do you happen to know? And do you recall the download times? Although come to think of it, if you have Linux, that's a different ballgame altogether, isn't it?

Sorry, a bit non-savvy about somethings.

:?

I just like it when they work!

jplayer

chrome

Post by jplayer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:02 am

Google Chrome will not run on Windows 2000, unfortunately for you, cause it's great in XP, Vista and 7. :(

cliff

Post by cliff » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Ah, thanks guys.

Being a bit of a "techno-dummy" though, for now as long as Netscape is working, I'll stick to it. I have to get a new computer next month, and it'll undoubtably have XP or Windows 7 anyway. I'm sure The latest Explorer will be in it also. However, I do wish they still supported Netscape. After going back to it now, it brings back a touch of nostaglia...

Oh well.....

8)