unsporting withdrawal?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
orpheus

unsporting withdrawal?

Post by orpheus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:41 pm

Well my strong opponent, lefthandedgambit, appears to be intent upon an unsporting withdrawal in our 2010 tournament preliminary section. He has not moved in any games since 3/11. I rather suspect that his reluctance to play on stems from his being dead lost in one of our games and pretty well drawn in the other, with very scant prospect of surviving the section. It's a pity though that this strong player, a participant in the 2009 final section, has not seen fit to resign, but instead lets his opponents wait more than a month for his timeout.

It could be that he is away on vacation, but since his ceasing play coincided with the emergence of a clearly lost position in one of our games, and a drawn one in the other, I doubt it.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Usually when someone abandons a game in a lost position I reduce the time remaining to about 10 days. But he hasn't moved in any games for the same period of time, and is clearly winning in some. So I don't think he's abandoned the games because he's loosing, probably something else is up preventing him from continuing, so I'll let the game stand as is.
Greg Miller

ppost

Post by ppost » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:59 pm

In the previous tournament I met lefthandedgambit in the 2nd round. He is a very good player, and moves very fast usually. He is a sportive, kind opponent, so I think it's premature to accuse him of unsportmanslike withdrawal... I should think there are good reasons for him not moving for a while....

orpheus

Post by orpheus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:17 pm

ppost wrote:In the previous tournament I met lefthandedgambit in the 2nd round. He is a very good player, and moves very fast usually. He is a sportive, kind opponent, so I think it's premature to accuse him of unsportmanslike withdrawal... I should think there are good reasons for him not moving for a while....
OK, perhaps my remarks are premature. We shall see. If he returns I shall owe him an apology.

orpheus

Post by orpheus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:15 am

Well it must be that the saintly lefthandedgambit has been taken up to heaven, since he continues to refrain from moving. I could care less whether he wants to pursue these games, but if not, he should have the decency to resign them.