puzzling?????

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
islanderfan

puzzling?????

Post by islanderfan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 am

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nb1c3 Ng8f6 4.Bc1g5 Bf8b4 This was a gambitz that I saw so I have tried it. Now looking at it I can't see why black would loose or give up his knight? Any insight??? :?: :?:

jpettit

Post by jpettit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:28 am

Strictly speaking, he doesn't 'lose' his Knight. If 5.e5, Black has ...h6. If the Bishop exchanges, then no worries. If the Bishop moves off the d8/h4 diagonal, then the pin is broken and the Knight is free to move. And finally, if 6.Bh4, Black pushes his pawn with 6...g5 and once more the pin is broken. If White really wants that Knight, it costs him his Bishop, so no material is lost.

If I'm not mistaken, this is called the MacCrutcheon Variation of teh French Defence, though I've likely spelled it wrong :/ I'm not sure of it's theoretical reputation, but it is certainly playable.

marandreo

McCutcheon!

Post by marandreo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:49 pm

jpettit is right, the McCutcheon is one of the oldest variations in the French defence. After 5. e5 h6, the moves most frequently played are:
a) 6. Bd2 (Lasker's suggestion, still reputed the best, but my knowledge of openings is that of the '70ies....:( ), 6. ... Bxc3; 7. bxc3 Ne4; 8. Qg4 etc.... and
b) 6. Bh4 g5; 7. Bg3 Ne4 etc etc....
White has other choices at 6th move, but noone gives more than a position with even chances ( :?: but if someone knows the last words on this variation, please shed light on our path! :roll: ).

Ciao. Mario.

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:42 am

Let's start off on the right foot...it's called The MacCutcheon Variation and like all other variations of the French which arise after White's 3rd move,
Nc3, its object is not to obtain the advantage but,rather,to equalize and
allow Black counterplay.
It's not a gambit so no piece is being offered for sacrifice but a sharp alternative to The Classical and Burns variations and any gambits associated
with it generally arise when White offers a pawn on the 5th or 6th move in return for positional consideration.
There are a whole bunch of continuations available to Black's French after 3.Nc3 such as The Rubenstein,Steinitz,Burns,Classical and Winawer Variations as well as The MacCutcheon Variation plus more than a few hyper-modern ones.
As White,I've played against virtually all of them but I've never used any of them as Black since I don't have a high regard for the French Defence.