A PUNISHMENT

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
malakhov

A PUNISHMENT

Post by malakhov » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:32 pm

Look at my opponent comments on

http://www.slowchess.com/viewgame.cgi?p ... 0111603953

"Comment: Kiss my .."

I had not made any comment before. Only offered draw in this drawish position.

I want the point in this game.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:21 pm

I've issued a warning to your opponent.
Greg Miller

malakhov

A WARNING?

Post by malakhov » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Why SO WEAK punishment?
Every chess player is already warned by the Chess Laws that he can not insult his opponents.

You should not advice him he can not act as he acted.

Look what the FIDE Laws say:

Article 12: The conduct of the players

The players shall take no action that will bring the game of chess into disrepute.

The arbiter shall act in the best interest of the competition. He should ensure that a good playing environment is maintained and that the players are not disturbed. He shall supervise the progress of the competition.

Behavioural norms of players in chess events

Any player who does not shake hands with the opponent .... or deliberately insults his/her opponent or the officials of the event, will immediately and finally lose the relevant game.

I have showed this case to some prominent International Arbiters, and all of them told me, that if he deliberately insults me (and more, without any
reason) should lose inmediatly the game.

I am not psicologicallly balanced in this game to continue playing, and his violation of the rules, and of the spirit of the game, was the origin of my unbalance.
So I will not continue that game and I am asking you, as the authority of this site, to make the chess rules to be observed.

And in my experience of 45 years as professional chess player, everytime a player insulted his opponent during the game was punished with a 0 in the game, and sometimes was desqualified. Never was only warned, as you have done.

Do you want Geurt Ghijssen (IA) opinion? I can ask him and he will post his answer in his column in Chess Cafe.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:47 am

Bro it's the internet, he is probably some moronic 15 year old a-hole that has no life. Let it roll off your back and chill a bit.

cliff

Post by cliff » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:50 am

Any of my replies to Mahlakov would serve no good, and would likely be deleted, so allow me to say....I expect this type of post from him.

He's a very interesting (?) person...

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:35 am

Isnt this suppose to be FUN?
We play ,s ure to win but for the expeirence, to make new friends and to have FUN?
My uncle always told me that and he used to play on this siite...
FUN ppl lets just enjoy the game !

Joshua

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:20 am

amen brother!!!!

sammyo
Platnum

Rules -

Post by sammyo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:34 pm

We have to realize the rules of chess were made long before the internet and the fact that players can remain anonymous, as well as that, if grown up would probably enjoy a beer with the other.

Be peaceful or don't play here. nomor,nomor, hit the road Jack? hm, where was I going and why am I here. So much to do. So many dragons to slay..

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Even though this is the internet, it is certainly in no way appropriate for anyone to use profanity. And even though USCF rules are used here (because they're the only ones I know) there are still rules against unsportsmanlike behavior and annoying behavior.

I consider a warning strong enough action because it normally works, and it's the first such complaint against this user.

Since you already know the rules, I would imagine FIDE has a similar rule regarding the TD's ruling being binding. And if you're unable to continue play given the ruling, you loose the game fair and square.
Greg Miller

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:54 pm

I still say Arent we here to have FUN and converse and Learn?
MY uncle said he loved this site, and I have met some nice ppl already...

But HAVE FUN!
Once you let it become stress and hurtful, its no longer the art it is and is ruined...

rdecredico

Re: A WARNING?

Post by rdecredico » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:37 pm

malakhov wrote:Why SO WEAK punishment?
Every chess player is already warned by the Chess Laws that he can not insult his opponents.

You should not advice him he can not act as he acted.

Look what the FIDE Laws say:

Article 12: The conduct of the players

The players shall take no action that will bring the game of chess into disrepute.

The arbiter shall act in the best interest of the competition. He should ensure that a good playing environment is maintained and that the players are not disturbed. He shall supervise the progress of the competition.

Behavioural norms of players in chess events

Any player who does not shake hands with the opponent .... or deliberately insults his/her opponent or the officials of the event, will immediately and finally lose the relevant game.

I have showed this case to some prominent International Arbiters, and all of them told me, that if he deliberately insults me (and more, without any
reason) should lose inmediatly the game.

I am not psicologicallly balanced in this game to continue playing, and his violation of the rules, and of the spirit of the game, was the origin of my unbalance.
So I will not continue that game and I am asking you, as the authority of this site, to make the chess rules to be observed.

And in my experience of 45 years as professional chess player, everytime a player insulted his opponent during the game was punished with a 0 in the game, and sometimes was desqualified. Never was only warned, as you have done.

Do you want Geurt Ghijssen (IA) opinion? I can ask him and he will post his answer in his column in Chess Cafe.
~ A professional knows how to stay focused.

~ A professional does not come unhinged at the slightest provocation.

~ A professional respects the decisions handed down by authority, even when they are in disagreement with said ruling.

~ A professional uses proper channels to effect change and does not resort to public displays that border on histrionics.

A true professional with 45 years experience and wisdom would not need to be told these things, their behavior would demonstrate them adequately enough.

cliff

Post by cliff » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:09 am

rdecredico wrote:

~ A professional respects the decisions handed down by authority, even when they are in disagreement with said ruling.

~ A professional uses proper channels to effect change and does not resort to public displays that border on histrionics.

A true professional with 45 years experience and wisdom would not need to be told these things, their behavior would demonstrate them adequately enough.
Very nicely said, rdecredico! Let's see if that can finally get the point accross that everyone else has failed to! Thanks!
:)

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:58 pm

amen brother..... although the Russian will find it different somehow....

malakhov

Post by malakhov » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:06 am

cliff wrote:
rdecredico wrote:

Very nicely said, rdecredico! Let's see if that can finally get the point accross that everyone else has failed to! Thanks!
I have never heard anything so stupid.
We are chess players, not machines,

You should know the immense variety of psychological tricks that are been used in chess tournaments.

And in all the cases, when those tricks break the FIDE rules, the offender is severely punished.

Here all are defending a guy who insults in a chess game.

That is against all the laws, and ethical principles.

You say "it was by the Internet", "he could be 15 years old", but those are not extenuating circumstances that hinder to apply Justice and the Laws.

There are all the pieces of evidence, there is extended jurisprudence in this case, there are the FIDE Laws that say "Behavioural norms of players in chess events -

Any player who does not shake hands with the opponent .... or deliberately insults his/her opponent or the officials of the event, will immediately and finally lose the relevant game."

And those are norms for highest level competitions.

GM Ivan Cheparinov was punished by the TD of Wijk Ann Zee B 2009 (category 16) for breaking this law, in his game against GM Nigel Short.

There are more cases in chess history.

If the nonsense written by Rdecredico, Cliff and Islanderfan, containing a lot of anti-Russian offenses (I have never spoken about USA, a country that I love and respect) were true, if a GM or a chess pro, should not be affected for those "against the rules, and the ethics" offenses, why the FIDE punished GM Cheparinov, and Bobby Fischer himself when they acted against the rules.

Stop your chauvinistic and burlesque posts.

Please refute one of my arguments.

No International Arbiter would allow a chess player to insult his opponent (without any reason) and continue the game as nothing has happened.

Prove that Gospodin attitude was right, or prove that an offender could continue a chess game, in accordance with the Laws.

Mr. Gmiller I beg you please, that applying the chess rules and the common sense, declare the game lost by Gospodin.

I will not be in a good psychological condition to continue that game, so if you decide that it will continue, the offender, the agressor, the hooligan will be the beneficiary of your unfair jugdement.

And awarding the offenders, and having fun of their victims, will be the path to increase the unsportmanlike attitudes.

slowblunder

Post by slowblunder » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:31 am

When my students leave school, some of them ask me to write something in their "personal books". Among others I prefer the following lines.
"In your future life three virtues are the most basic ones:
- the calmness to accept things which you cannot change
- the courage to work on things which you can change
- the wisdom to discriminate between these things."

(And NO, the ball in Wembley 1966 was NOT completely beyond the line. And YES, the moon landing in 1969 WAS a fake. We all know that, but we can´t do nothing about that ...)

malakhov

WHAT WE CANNOT CHANGE

Post by malakhov » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:06 am

slowblunder wrote:When my students leave school, some of them ask me to write something in their "personal books". Among others I prefer the following lines.
"In your future life three virtues are the most basic ones:
- the calmness to accept things which you cannot change
- the courage to work on things which you can change
- the wisdom to discriminate between these things."

(And NO, the ball in Wembley 1966 was NOT completely beyond the line. And YES, the moon landing in 1969 WAS a fake. We all know that, but we can´t do nothing about that ...)
What we cannot change?

1- Gospodin`s offense? Yes

2- The TD decision, that have no precedent in the history of our game?
No.

In all the chess organizations there are second instance courts were everyone can try to change a wrong based ruling.

Is GMiller God? No, he could make a mistake, but can correct it.

More my chess arbiters friends are studying this case, they tell me that he should be declared defeated by forfeit.

Even in correspondence chess, chess by email, in the ICCF (as FIDE) there are rules that punish offenses and in every case they penalize acts as Gospodin`s with the lose for forfeit.

I have 2 problems here: 1- my poor English that do not allow me to express properly,

2- The Anti-Russian atmosphere that is gaining ground in this site.
I wonder if I were an American, and if a Russian player were the offender, you had ruled the same or the opposite.

I supposed that this was an International Group, with the FIDE motto "Gens una Sumus", but it seems that there is more chauvinism and intolerance that it is acceptable.

Please: do not cheat me, do not laugh on me, do not tell me silly advices, please refute my arguments.

Please explain me according what chess law or what ethical or sportmanship principles, Gospodin should be allowed to continue this game, as nothing has happened.

Gospodin has a 2803 rating points. He is a high level player, someone near or superior a normal GM level. So he is expected to act according to the highest level of sportmanship, as he belongs to the elite of this chess organization.

He is not a begginer with 1300 points, playing his first games. He knows clearly what he was doing, intending to disturb me in that drawish position, in order to force me to make blunders.

Could I insult my opponents and have the same weak punishment?

I am sure if this dirty and communist Russian put the same words that Gospodin has posted in a commentary, you will expel me from this site!

slowblunder

Re: WHAT WE CANNOT CHANGE

Post by slowblunder » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:05 am

malakhov wrote: I have 2 problems here:
1- my poor English that do not allow me to express properly
Definitely no! Your English is understandable, you made your point come out clearly - English isn´t my native language either, but I have read a lot of postings in the internet written by English or American people which were hardly understandable because of inferior language. Yours is none of them.
malakhov wrote: 2- The Anti-Russian atmosphere that is gaining ground in this site.

I wonder if I were an American, and if a Russian player were the offender, you had ruled the same or the opposite.
Could I insult my opponents and have the same weak punishment?
I am sure if this dirty and communist Russian put the same words that Gospodin has posted in a commentary, you will expel me from this site!
I can see no "Anti-Russian atmosphere" on this site, especially not in this thread. Don´t put islanderfan´s prediction "the Russian will find it different somehow" (the only post with the word "Russian" in it - except from yours) into the wrong corner. You ARE Russian (as far as one can tell from your user name) and you HAVE a different opinion in this point, so his prediction has been proven correct.

Greg issued a warning to your opponent, in a following post he explained his decision. His explanation didn´t contain the players´ nationalities, not by word and not between the lines. I do not agree to your assumption, that you would have been punished in another way if you had been the initial offender. Of course, that does not mean that you NOW have a "free shot" as well, I think you can imagine why.

One single (in my eyes harmless) remark containg the R-word, and you are writing expressions like "anti-Russian offenses", "chauvinistic and burlesque posts", "chauvinism and intolerance" and "dirty and communist Russian". The Cold War is over since decades and there is no reason for a conspiracy theory in an international but US-hosted chess-site.
malakhov wrote: Is GMiller God? No, he could make a mistake, but can correct it.
I could have understood both decisions (warning because it´s the first time or forfeit because your opponent is an experienced player). It´s like a referee´s decision in football to show the yellow or the red card for a commited foul. Maybe it´s right, maybe it´s wrong, maybe someone else would have decided differently. A decision has been made, there´s no court of appeal for this site because it´s not part of a higher organization.
(Only in this sense): Yes, GMiller is God.
(Generally): Yes, he can make mistakes. Yes, he can correct them - but he is not forced to to that.
And yes, he does his best to keep this a place of chess and fun for as many people as possible.

To make things clear in the end:
I can see no one in this thread who is "defending a guy who insults in a chess game". Anyone would be annoyed by that, some would escalate by an even worse game comment, some would resign immediately and put him on their black list, some would ignore it and try even harder to give the answer on the 64 squares, you decided to request for official consequences (which is okay as well). It all depends on the personal temper which differs between people.
But no one of my pre-posters has written something like "His comment is okay for me." And I cannot read such between the lines either.

rdecredico

Post by rdecredico » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:16 pm

Malakhov: You are using a 50 lb sledge hammer to drive finishing nails.

All the FIDE related rules you stated just simply do not apply here, unless the PRIVATE owner/operator decides it to be the case.

THAT is the point, sir, so it is time to stop acting like a petulant American teenager.

Please familiarize yourself with the concept of free will and stop trying to mind-rape people into agreeing with your convictions, lest you convince everyone you are more sociopath than anything else.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:41 pm

Seriously are you still crying about the same xxxx thing?? Good lord you people are a bunch of hens. God he called you a namego beat him up on the playground, if not, move da xxxx on; jesus this is worse than cornstalk.

stonedmaster

Post by stonedmaster » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:35 pm

Well put Islanderfan... He should drop it an move on. Just not play the opponent in the future... :roll:

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:46 pm

Well, I'd have to concur with the sentiments expressed by islanderfan, rdecredico, snowblunder, and stonedmaster. I especially liked the "drive finishing nails with a 50-pound sledgehammer" - I thought that one was so appropriate.

There's one thing I think we can all agree with however: Our friend malakhov does make for interesting conversation.

Gotta thank him for that, I suppose!

:P

slowblunder

Post by slowblunder » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:28 am

Some background information, taken from the actual position on the board:

White (malakhov) is continuing the game.
Comment of White: "Will you continue insulting me?"
Comment of Black: "I send you an apology in a message. Again, I am sorry. I found three draw offers in a row rather provocative."
Currently it is Black to move next, White has offered a draw (the fourth attempt?).

FIDE rules say that it is forbidden to disturb the opponent or to distract his concentration by any means. This paragraph especially includes permanent draw offers as one of these actions.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:24 pm

I thought you were only allowed to offer draw one time? If this is true, then Malakhov got what he had coming.

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:08 pm

I've just read through this thread in its entirety and am genuinely impressed
by the total tonnage of restraint and indulgence that have been extended to
Malakhov by the members of this site as well as by Greg.

The most recent post by slowblunder should be sufficient alone to stop any
continuation of this matter.

Personally,my saturation borders had been permanently breached when
Malakhov posted "I will not be in a good psychological condition to continue that game, so if you decide that it will continue, the offender, the agressor, the hooligan will be the beneficiary of your unfair jugdement." This was
well before Malakhov introduced the totally bogus charge of a growing
anti-Russian prejudice existing on this forum.

So,I would like to suggest to Malakhov that he either continue the game or
resign it...without any further protestations of outrage or,in fact,any comment whatsoever.

That's it.
Regards,
David

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:47 pm

All this is NOT making for a fun site nor fun games!

Chess should be fun
In either case and regardless of any "reasoning" Id also demand immadiate resignation and never interact wioth that particular again!

This is far from the "Glastnost" era and I have never seen any of that glaring predjudice nor hints thereof here...

LIGHTEN UP
HAVE FUN
CHAT :)

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:55 pm

Oh now Dave shows up. That chicken!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:54 am

Brian,ny friend, once again those smiley faces at the end of your posts concerning me prevent me from taking any offence.

However,nothing can dissuade me from carefully scrutinizing the flight plan
of any of my cross-country trips to ensure that the flight's safety is never
knowingly dependent on your competence as an air traffic controller. Only
kidding,old sport.

Love,
David

rdecredico

Post by rdecredico » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:50 pm

islanderfan wrote:I thought you were only allowed to offer draw one time? If this is true, then Malakhov got what he had coming.
A draw offer from player A that is rejected by player B cannot be re-offered by Player A until the opponent B first makes a counter draw offer that is rejected by Player A.

So, in order for this to happen, the position would have to be going back and forth such that Player A would first offer a draw which is rejected, then later declines (!) a draw, and then makes his 2nd offer.

So repeated offers are possible, but only following this Byzantine course of events. Of course, the consummate professional already knows this....

malakhov

Post by malakhov » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:19 pm

rdecredico wrote:
islanderfan wrote:I thought you were only allowed to offer draw one time? If this is true, then Malakhov got what he had coming.
A draw offer from player A that is rejected by player B cannot be re-offered by Player A until the opponent B first makes a counter draw offer that is rejected by Player A.

So, in order for this to happen, the position would have to be going back and forth such that Player A would first offer a draw which is rejected, then later declines (!) a draw, and then makes his 2nd offer.

So repeated offers are possible, but only following this Byzantine course of events. Of course, the consummate professional already knows this....
Where have you read that stupid rule?

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:43 am

Really Dave?? Seriously?? you went with the low blow!!!

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:46 am

As a second post, seriously who cares what he said. Your an even bigger pansy if you are really letting it bother you so much. Jesus move on. I get my . kicked every day in this game, who cares; The world will keep on a spinnin...
Oh and Russian boy, who are you talking to him or me?

rdecredico

Post by rdecredico » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:32 am

malakhov wrote:
Where have you read that stupid rule?
In a book.

"14B5 REPEATED OFFERS

Repeated draw offers may be construed as annoying the opponent, and penalties are possible at the discretion of the TD (20G). If the first offer is declined it is improper to offer another draw unless the opponent has since offered a draw or the position has changed substantially."

Reading is fundamental. Try it~! You may like it or even learn something!

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Thanks for the info!

davidswhite
Uranium

Post by davidswhite » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Brian,

you're right.Even though I was only kidding, I apologize anyway.

Bestest,
David

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:47 am

No need Dave. I took no disrespect in it!

cliff

Post by cliff » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 am

islanderfan wrote:No need Dave. I took no disrespect in it!

Well, Brian...there's over 30 posts in this topic thread, and the only person who's seems oversensitive and finds disrepect in every comment is the author of the thread, as far as I can see....

juselton

Post by juselton » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:13 pm

Malakhov said---"GM Ivan Cheparinov was punished by the TD of Wijk Ann Zee B 2009 (category 16) for breaking this law, in his game against GM Nigel Short."

Actually, he wasnt punished. Short felt he was insulted by his opponent, who refused to shake his hand and made a complaint to the arbiter and pushed the arbiter into making an erroneous decision (forfeit). Later, the Appeals Committee (Kramnik, Polgar and Krasenkow) decided that the game should be replayed. There was no punishment!

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:24 pm

juselton wrote:Malakhov said---"GM Ivan Cheparinov was punished by the TD of Wijk Ann Zee B 2009 (category 16) for breaking this law, in his game against GM Nigel Short."

Actually, he wasnt punished. Short felt he was insulted by his opponent, who refused to shake his hand and made a complaint to the arbiter and pushed the arbiter into making an erroneous decision (forfeit). Later, the Appeals Committee (Kramnik, Polgar and Krasenkow) decided that the game should be replayed. There was no punishment!

Better not confuse Malakhov with facts. He finds them a bit annoying unless he uses them.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:48 pm

As we say here from Long Island boooyyyaaaaahhhhhh(and then something else with it but won't go there)

slowblunder

Post by slowblunder » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:31 pm

For those who don´t want to read:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Gb4lJeXqI

And part 2, after Cheparinov had apologized officially:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbIheG-mztI
(I must admit, I remember to have seen handshakes which appeared even more cordial. But in their next game they kissed, I am still searching for the video - oops, no hint to the initial post!)

For those who are interested in the game itself (are there any?):
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1482318

rawat

Post by rawat » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:31 pm

cliff wrote:Any of my replies to Mahlakov would serve no good, and would likely be deleted, so allow me to say....I expect this type of post from him.

He's a very interesting (?) person...
I have read his posts here. And I like it. Colourful people makes life more fun. Would be boring if everyone always walked the middle road. He has strong opinions on how things should be, he don't care if others have a more relaxed approach to the issues he writes about. I like it. Better to have it in chess than in politics.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:11 pm

He's not the only one!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rdecredico

Post by rdecredico » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:33 pm

rawat wrote: I have read his posts here. And I like it. Colourful people makes life more fun. Would be boring if everyone always walked the middle road. He has strong opinions on how things should be, he don't care if others have a more relaxed approach to the issues he writes about. I like it. Better to have it in chess than in politics.

I, too, love colorful people, assertive ones and even some those bristling with arrogance.

However, dogmatism grown from the seeds of ignorance and watered with the over reactive juices of victim-mentality add up to instable decaying planetary orbit getting ready to death spiral into the local sun.

I normally prefer to view it from afar rather than intersect it's path to start exploring since it's deteriorating trajectory does not seem correctable.

cliff

Post by cliff » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:47 pm

rdecredico wrote:
However, dogmatism grown from the seeds of ignorance and watered with the over reactive juices of victim-mentality add up to instable decaying planetary orbit getting ready to death spiral into the local sun.

I normally prefer to view it from afar rather than intersect it's path to start exploring since it's deteriorating trajectory does not seem correctable.
:shock:

WOW!

If there was an award for the most 'colourful reply' here, I think you just won it, partner!!!

(I think we'll call it the "Jean Luc Picard Award"!)

:D :D :D