I CLAIM THE VICTORY IN g1104988193

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
malakhov

I CLAIM THE VICTORY IN g1104988193

Post by malakhov » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:28 am

My opponent has gone out of time:

2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
7 7
8 8
H G F E D C B A
First Move Previous Move Auto Play Next Move Last Move
16. Qd1d2 a5
17. c4 b4
18. Rf1b1 Bd7a4
19. Rb3b2 Nf6d7
20. Be3d4 Bg7xd4
21. Nf3xd4 Nd7c5
22. Nd4b3 Ba4xb3
23. Ba2xb3 a4
24. Bb3d1 b3
25. Qd2c3 Qc7a5
26. Qc3xa5 Ra8xa5
27. f3 Rf8b8
28. d4 a3
29. dxc5 axb2
Scroll Up Scroll Down Scroll Up Scroll Down
malakhov (2778) 21 days 01:43
kuksifae(2409) 0 days 00:00:00
Net-Chess Home
Match: m1249695357
Game: g1104988193
White: kuksifae
Black: malakhov
To Play: white
Time: 10 days 00:00
Add Time: 0 days 12:00
Result:
View PGN Move List
(Follow this game)
Your Move:
Offer Draw:
Promote To:

cliff

Re: I CLAIM THE VICTORY IN g1104988193

Post by cliff » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:48 am

malakhov wrote:My opponent has gone out of time:
I want the point of this game: g1104988187

Just an observation, malakhov....
You might be a lot happier, if you ask, rather than demand.

malakhov

STOP MEDDLING!

Post by malakhov » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:26 pm

As English is not my first language, but it is Russian, I went to the English dictionary to find out the meaning of "claim".

It says: " noun
1 claim
demand for something as rightful or due; "they struck in support of their claim for a shorter work day""

I will remember to our meddler Cliff that I have not written here. the word "demand".

And I suppose that claiming the victory, as my opponent has gone out of time, it is correct, because the rules establish that if one player excedees the time limits, he should lose the game.

I have not to ask for the point (because I have a right based of the rules, and it is not a concession made), but I have to claim the victory.

I find the FIDE Chess Rules updated, from the official website: www.fide.com

A flag is considered to have fallen when the arbiter observes the fact or when either player has made a valid claim to that effect.

In other words: FIDE tell me that I should claim but not ask the victory if my opponent excedees the time limit.

cliff

Re: STOP MEDDLING!

Post by cliff » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:24 pm

malakhov wrote:I will remember to our meddler Cliff that I have not written here. the word "demand".

I have not to ask for the point (because I have a right based of the rules, and it is not a concession made), but I have to claim the victory.

Quite a temper there, my friend. And , bt the way, I didn't see you post any thanks to this "meddler Cliff" when I answered your posted questions about "Losing ELO while winning games" and the "Rating Lists". Seems you can complain, but not thank.

At any rate, I enjoy the site, and hope you do too.

But for God's sake, Lighten Up!

slowblunder

misunderstandings

Post by slowblunder » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:46 am

Please all calm down, for me it looks like a simple misunderstanding:

Chessfriend malakhov is new to this site (joined a couple of weeks ago) and has just finished a dozen of games. He is playing a good style of chess, he apparently learnt it in years of OTB (on the board) and is familiar with OTB-rules.
It is true that you have to claim your point when your OTB-opponent´s flag has fallen (if an official person is around he also can/must do that job). Now, what happened here?
His opponent´s time has run down to zero (falling flag), and there was no immediate win for malakhov (he doesn´t know that this happens automatically, but with a little delay because of systems affairs). So he remembered the OTB-rules (no "arbitrary" around) and "claimed" his point. Call it "claim", call it "demand", it´s more a (competitive) chess term than a command to the administration, especially for someone whose native language is non-English.
Some hours after his claiming post the automatic system checked the time stamps and realized that this game has ended by "time out". Not more and not less.

Malakhov, you have found a good chess site here. It´s my favourite although I only play a tournament once a year, I hope you will have more time than me for this wonderful game.

cliff

Re: misunderstandings

Post by cliff » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:45 am

slowblunder wrote:Please all calm down, for me it looks like a simple misunderstanding:

Malakhov, you have found a good chess site here. It´s my favourite although I only play a tournament once a year, I hope you will have more time than me for this wonderful game.
Thanks, Snowblunder.
I believe that I knew it was a 'language barrier' in all reality. I suppose that I was a bit peeved at the term "meddler". As far as I'm concerned, that's an insult in any language.

And I think what islanderfan was saying, in his won subtle way, was that everybody should just get along with each other, and enjoy the site.

After all, we reallly don't need another 'Cold War', do we?

:wink:

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Malakhov, as Slowblunder already said, there's no need for you to make a claim on time, they're processed automatically once a day. If your opponent had tried to move in the meantime, the system would have recognized the time-out immediately.
Greg Miller