castle

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
islanderfan

castle

Post by islanderfan » Wed May 20, 2009 6:58 am

Ok had a debate with some peeps at work about it. I understood that the king CAN'T castle through, into, or out of check. Now the part that brought up the debate. White's bishop is on E5. black's king E8 and the rook on A8. or in other words black wants to castle queenside. Yes there is no bishop or knight between them and neither have moved before.So as I say black can castle cause the king is not going through the bishop's path.Can black castle? :?: :?: :?: :shock:

marandreo

Castle

Post by marandreo » Wed May 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Sure he can! :lol: In the case you described the wandering King stops his walk to c8, while the White Bishop in e5 patrols the diagonal e5 - b8. This implies that the Black King does not touch any of the squares the enemy Bishop controls. No matter if the Rook does. The King is the big shot, remember that to your colleagues! :wink:

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed May 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Yup I thought I was right. Hey when are we going to play again? I see you are chicken! :lol: :lol:

marandreo

Post by marandreo » Thu May 21, 2009 4:49 am

You know I prefer to play thematic tournaments, so that I've the illusion I can learn something :? . If you organize one about an interesting opening, that's ok (and hopefully I'll get some interesting games to show to my young ad old pupils at the chessclub lessons! 8) )
Ciao.

marandreo

Post by marandreo » Thu May 21, 2009 4:50 am

You know I prefer to play thematic tournaments, so that I've the illusion I can learn something :? . If you organize one about an interesting opening, that's ok (and hopefully I'll get some interesting games to show to my young and old pupils at the chessclub lessons! 8) )
Ciao.