Penalize Repeat Time Out Offenders?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.

Should proven continual time-out offenders be penalized?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:25 pm

Should Open Tournaments optionally exclude high-percent offenders?
No votes
Should high-percent offenders lose accrued time in tournaments?
No votes

Total votes: 0

cliff

Penalize Repeat Time Out Offenders?

Post by cliff » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:25 pm

Just a thought, but maybe we post open tournaments, there could be a setting on the challange page (a slide-bar perhaps, or a similar line to the Min/Max rating area) that would allow us to screen out those players who abandon games on a frequen basis?

I KNOW I continually harp on this, but for some reason I can't really articulate, that behaviour really really bothers me!

In fairness, though, I know that it bothers other players also, and can't help but feel this would solve the problem.

Now I'm interested in hearing what the poll result brings! :?

joelag

The Art of Creating a Poll

Post by joelag » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:14 am

Well, maybe I am a bit old fashioned. But I always have been thinking in a poll you have to give one question (condition 1) and a number of n possible answers - let's say a1 ... an (condition 2). Further - I'd even say ideally - the intersection of a1 ... an should be empty (condition 3) and the union of a1 ... an should be the whole thing (condition 4).

So let's see:
  • condition 1 is violated - you've given 3 questions.
    condition 2 is violated - you've given no answer.
Let's assume the questions that are given as options are answers:
  • condition 3 is violated - there is no problem agreeing with both.
    condition 4 is violated - there is no problem disagreeing with both.
I don't see any benefit from your suggestion. Generally new members are responsible for the most timeouts. Alas, but at the time you are challenging they are still enthusiastic and haven't timed out yet.

So there's the small remainder of long time members who have more than a few time-outs. I guess most of those who are still active just had a difficult time once, when they had more important things than chess in mind (and let's be realistic: There are more important things than chess). I wouldn't want to exclude those players.

So finally we have the very small remainder who just time out of bad intention. But to hit these you shouldn't use a system based on statistics, but rather an ignore list.

N.B.: I haven't voted. I'm deadly serious with my criticism on this poll.

CU, Joe

neilb

Post by neilb » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:20 am

More options needed.

langelli

Post by langelli » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:33 pm

How about death by firing squad for repeat offenders, or am I being too harsh? I miss the old days when we played across the board fron each other, and had to look our opponent on the eyes. It was much harder to be a sore sport when we wern't hiding behind a computer. So, death be firing squad? :twisted: (I think I take this game much too seriously)

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:14 pm

Hmmm...never post a poll when you're tired and have a horrible toothache!
I think that's my lesson for the day! :oops:

Well, without getting into logic theorem and games theory with 'joelag' or getting 'langeli's firing squad ready, I think I'll just agree with helig.

I'll put up a new poll with correct options. Meanwhile, I hope nobody bothers to vote here. But it'll expire in 30 days anyway.

Sorry about that, folks!

Cliff