Logical Forfeit in 2009 Open?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
cliff

Logical Forfeit in 2009 Open?

Post by cliff » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:55 pm

If there was ever to be an arguement made to penalize players who abandon games constantly, by early forfeits, I think I found it! And, although I'm not sure just how tactful this is, I'm going to name the player as I present my case!

(Heck, I always wanted a chance to be a procecuting attorney; now I have it! :D )

Ladies & Gentlemen of the Jury, I'd like to point out the defendant, a player by the name of "Nightlamp". Mr. Nightlamp joined this site on December 28, 2003. Just over 5 years ago. He has a respectable rating of 2108 to accompany a 128 - 123 - 11 win-loss-draw record. He has played 262 games, and has 12 ongoing games. All of those ongoing games are in match m1231702157. He has two of those games against myself, games g1104956020 and g1104956021.

In all of those 12 ongoing games, Mr. Nightlamp is on the move, and has not responded since late January or the first week in February of 2009. It is now March 10, some 38 days since his last response in my games with him.

Now, while it is true that he still has about 10 days, more or less, showing before his time expires, I believe he should forfeit those games sooner based on his record.

What record? I'm glad you asked. Mr. Nightlamp is the type of habitual offender players complain about, the type who walks out on tough positions. I plan to show that.

Of his 262 games (about 52 a year since joining) he has an incredible 94 time forfeits! About 19 a year. In other words, about 36% of the games he starts, he does not finish.

And not just the games he is losing are abandoned. I invite you to check his rating record, and take a look at 10 or 12 of his forfeits - some he seems losing, some winning, some even. But they all seem to have one thing in common; they've reached a tight position, one where patience and affort are required. I believe Mr. Nightlamp enjoys the part of the game, oft provided by the opening: the scramble and scrape for positional edge into the middle game. I believe he finds the middle game too hard or boring, and gives up the fight. 'Lazy Man's Chess', as it were.

And worth noting: his last played finish was g1104920383. a loss to "Senna" on August 14, 2008. Since then, he has 25 rated time forfeit, the last being g1104919551 vs "Rogeliovargas".

I think Leobar, Bigart, Hrentle, Hgrayson, Peterliberty, and myself should recieve he 2 points each now, since I'm willing to bet Nightlamp won't move. We've played in the event, and this is a good time to tell each one ot them it's been a pleasure!

Anyway, I've had my rant. I leave this to the jury.

Comment, Greg? Anyone?

:?

slowblunder

mills of justice need time

Post by slowblunder » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:38 am

In my eyes it´s only fair to give the defense counsel enough time to have a closer look at the minutes of the case.

What about starting the trial in two weeks? Assumed both sides are well prepared, the jury won´t have any problems to deal with all aspects and will come to a correct verdict - one week time for the trial seems to be appropriate, as this is quite a severe and complicated case.

Or do the mills of justice grind quicker in Northern America than here in Europe?

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:36 pm

lol if you can justice here in America!

langelli

Post by langelli » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:23 pm

Abandoned games seems to be the price we pay for playing on a free site. I seem to always have a game or two that has been abandoned. The solution is to check ones profile before joining a match. That, of course, doesn't stop an undesirable opponent from joining a match that I post. If only life was perfect.

icyglare

Post by icyglare » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Excuse me, but life happens. I also have a good amount of time forfeits, most of them took place some years ago when I didn't plan ahead and got stuck with weeks of exams/moving to another city/no Internet. Yes, people make mistakes. I don't know about these people but I'm offended to be included in a generalization mostly based on assumptions.

langelli

Post by langelli » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:15 pm

The objectionable people are the ones that abandon games because they find themselves in a losing position. We don't mention their user names because we don't have to. They know who they are. There are circumstances when people have to take care of more important things than chess. We all know that from personal experience. I, personally, wasn't pointing my finger at anyone.

cliff

Post by cliff » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:05 pm

icyglare wrote:Excuse me, but life happens. I also have a good amount of time forfeits, most of them took place some years ago when I didn't plan ahead and got stuck with weeks of exams/moving to another city/no Internet. Yes, people make mistakes. I don't know about these people but I'm offended to be included in a generalization mostly based on assumptions.
Er...I wasn't referring to anyone in particular (well, 'Nightlamp, I was), but as a matter of fact, your record, icyglare is 541-322-188-20 (g-w-l-d), with 131 forfeits. About 24%. Most of your forfeits seem to have occurred in December/07, February/08, and then in August-September/08 in large clumps. Doesn't look like your were losing in all of them, either. I can accept that things get busy at times - those months look like they may have to do with school tests, perhaps.

That doesn't mean that you're being a poor sport and abandoning games. It just makes me think you may want to think about the wisdom of getting into tournaments around those times, and pare back your number of games on the go accordingly.

It's the poor sportsmanship and inconsideration by some players which I find disheartening. However, langeli's correct, I suppose. It's a small price to pay for such a great site. And also, again as lengeli mentioned, you can screen who you challange (which I do anyway), but you can't really screen who enters an open tournament you post. But maybe there's a way around that. A slide bar which you could set to a certain percentage for time-outs in the Challenge Page.

I wonder is that would be possible?

cliff

Nightlamp still lingering!

Post by cliff » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:41 am

Well, I started this topic about Nightlamp in the 2009 Open on March 10. I may as well add to it now.

He HAS timed out. His 'clock' is showing a minus number now ( - 1day and some-odd hours and minutes). Of course he hasn't made a move since January 31, 2009.

I was also playing hrente in the round, and he just timed out yesterday. But I think he had some legitimate problems, as he fell into time trouble about mid-February. But when he DID start moving again, he tried like hell to make the initial time limit! Unfortunately (for him, not me!) he didn't make it. But, by God, he tried! What a sport! Congrats to him, and thanks for a great game!

Back to Nightlamp. How long till the system forfeits him@ Please Soon! He's become my personal albatross!

:(

cliff

Thank God!

Post by cliff » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:31 am

...or thank the system thank Greg!

Whatever, and whoever - Nightlamp is gone!

Who's got the champagne?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D