"My Pet Peeve"

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
langelli

"My Pet Peeve"

Post by langelli » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:29 pm

I'm playing a game with a player (I won't give his name) who was making 2 to 3 moves a day until I cornered his King. It's mate in 2, and he hasn't made a move in 4 days. I guess it doesn't matter because eventually I'll get the win, but have a little class by either resigning or finishing the game.

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:54 pm

I can understand why this is frustrating!
I think some people are just really loathe to resign when they can just "time out" and you get the win; now whether this is sportsmanlike or not we can debate until doomsday.
I think this is just the way some players are...so at least you know you will win the game and you dont have to keep cheking on it!
More time for focus on your more difficult games :)

langelli

Post by langelli » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:25 pm

You are so right. Also, in the future I will avoid playing this player again.

muabdib

Post by muabdib » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:10 am

iamachessstudent wrote:I can understand why this is frustrating!
I think some people are just really loathe to resign when they can just "time out" and you get the win; now whether this is sportsmanlike or not we can debate until doomsday.
I think this is just the way some players are...so at least you know you will win the game and you dont have to keep cheking on it!
More time for focus on your more difficult games :)
Only the knights in shining armor may cast the first stone. You guys complain abouth something you most probably have done before over and over again.

Being in a lost position you resign immediately? Dont't make me believe this one:-)

iamachessstudent

Post by iamachessstudent » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:28 am

I was not implying anything about how I play or when I resign Sir!
I was merely explaining whyI thought perhaps, whyit is people can seemingly prolong or just play on in list positions.
I try to be a sportsman and I know enough about the game if the situation at the board is a terrible material deficit, mating attack I will and DO resign...and I do not wait for anytime.,if it is my turn, I'll simply resign.
Im certainly not perfect and I certainly WAS NOT casting stones as you are seeming to do, so please...take my post for what I was intended and not try and make an attempt to accuse me or anyone else of unsportsmanlike practice!

Thanking you in advance for your support :)

rr

Post by rr » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:48 am

If I'm not mistaken, langelli's accusation of unsportsmanlike behavior is against me. In my defense, I was off on a trip and had no access to the internet for 4-5 days.

Admittedly, I should have resigned earlier but given that I didn't slow down my rate of play even in a losing position (until my trip) and the fact that I have NEVER timed out in a game leaves me with a clear conscience. If I really wanted to be a bad sport, I could have let the clock run down for much more considering I still had 28 days left in the game.

Just wanted to clear the air.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:59 am

jomunoz is another

langelli

Post by langelli » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:00 pm

My apologies to rr. I guess I spoke too soon. I, too, travel sometimes for business. I always bring my laptop so I'll have something to do when I'm stuck in a hotel room. Sitting at the bar in a hotel every night gets old real fast. I guess it never dawned on me that you were away. I would love to play you again. If you are a forgiving man please post me a challenge. Again, I apologise.

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 pm

I have often been annoyed by the type of unsportsmanlike behaviour being discussed as well! It never ceases to amaze me how some players respond on a regular basis when the game is even, or when they have the edge. But, if things are going against them, it's 'bye-bye Birdie" - they suddenly drop off the face of the Earth. 's happening to me in two games in the 2009 Open at this time, and in two other games at the other site I play at.

And, although it's true that after a time, you get the win by forfiet, it feels rather hollow.

I'm doing some invitational tournaments now, and the players I invite (besides a few 'regular' opponents) I check out the profiles first, and if they have a high number of time forfeits for the time they've been on the site, I skip them. Unfortunately, this sometimes takes awhile, since not all invitees are available!

Maybe we should just start posting regular offenders' names in the forum...? :?:

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:58 pm

...and as an afterthought, if we DID post their names, it would also give them a chance to respond, in case there is a reason why they couldn't respond! :idea:

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:03 pm

as I said jomunoz is another

langelli

Post by langelli » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:02 pm

That's a great idea, Cliff.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:12 pm

It is a violation of USCF rules to abandon a game in progress, and it comes up a lot here. Usually I just reduce the player's time so that they only have 10 days left, and would time out in a short period of time rather than months. In CC chess it's kinda tough to determine if the game is actually abandoned, buy I'd never consider going only 4 days without a move abandoned. I usually make people wait at least a month, even if their opponent is making moves in other games.
Being in a lost position you resign immediately? Dont't make me believe this one:-)
Are you kidding? I've been known to do that accidently even in a won position. ;)
Greg Miller

joelag

King against 5 Queens

Post by joelag » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:42 am

cliff wrote:Maybe we should just start posting regular offenders' names in the forum...? :?:
Generelly I'd say you shouldn't do this. But at the moment I'm really quite tempted to pillory 2 chess masters :?

One of them is continueing with his King against my queen and 4 pawns on a board without any stalemate possibility. I'm torn between the idea to promote all pawns first - or just mate him as fast as possible. But I fear he wouldn't get the message if I drag this stupid game on for another 50 moves, would he?

But ... well ... yes ... I can understand him perfectly! I could drop dead by the minute ... and yes ... this would be the perfectly satisfying victory! :evil:

Perhaps Greg should implement a fairness rating system? You can rate your opponent after the game with a fairness rate from - let's say - 0 to 10 - perhaps you could even organise tournaments where you set a fairness index above any given number - let's say 8 - as entry condition?

No. Honestly I'm sure this wouldn't work. I'm sure there are some sore losers who'd rate anyone daring to beat them on the chessboard with a 0.

But perhaps you could rate the accurateness of you opponents rating, too? :lol:

Or perhaps you should just ignore it, stop getting mad, and stop saving valuable life time by writing superfluous posts? :wink:

CU, Joe

langelli

Post by langelli » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:26 pm

How can anyone honestly time out of a game? From what I've seen most time constraints are 30 days plus 2. Considering after 15-20 moves one usually has a couple of months accumulated it seems almost impossible to run out of time. I''ve never even come close. I'm not patting myself on the back, or putting anyone down, but please explain what type of circumnstances makes someone lose so much built up time. :?