Limited tourney exclusions for forfeit abusers/new accounts

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
wstanevans

Limited tourney exclusions for forfeit abusers/new accounts

Post by wstanevans » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:57 am

Personally I wish there was a way to EXCLUDE individuals with more than a handful of forfeits from tournaments IF the person starting the tournament so desired. The server tracks the number of forfeits per individual player.

Yes, one could get around this each time by creating a new account, but an additional control would be that the person starting the tournament could also require a minimum number of completed games in addition to no forfeits for new accounts trying to enter the event.

There are just too many forfeits on this site, especially at move one two or three and often by new accounts. But hey...it is FREE! And therefore one of my favorites!

Small problem in the grand scheme actually...

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:57 pm

I'd love to find a solution to that problem, but as of yet there doesn't appear to be one. Generally the people who forfeit their games early on never return to the site, so there is no form of punishment to deter them from doing it. And there are plenty of regular players who've forfeited plenty of games for one reason or another (I know I myself have several).

Requiring players to complete a certain number of games before entering the tournament would help. But it would also exclude some people who were honestly interested in playing, and perhaps only interested in the tournament. I can take a month or more just to win one game on a timeout.

It's just something I've learned to accept as something that's unavoidable.
Greg Miller

joelag

Wise policy

Post by joelag » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:09 am

gmiller wrote: It's just something I've learned to accept as something that's unavoidable.
That's so wise! I'm glad that Greg follows such a wise policy! If you can't prevent something effectively just ignore it.

Why care at all? Let's say you start a tournament with 10 participants. 2 time out before move # 10 - so what? Enjoy the remaining games.

I'm playing on another site (chesshere), too. There's a lot of fuss about measures to reduce cheating ... but the only effect I see is the obstruction of honest players. Let's face it: In correspondence chess you can't prevent cheating at all. If someone has really some ambition to cheat he'll find a way to do so.

So Greg's idea of not fueling cheating ambitions (i.e. by not displaying the actual ranking too often) is very wise once again.

That's another reason I like Net-Chess the most: There's no fuss about anything ... just chess.

CU, Joe