"Random" tournament pairing?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.

Should ranking be considered when puting together Net-chess tourament pairings

Poll ended at Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:46 am

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes: 9

jpalasek

"Random" tournament pairing?

Post by jpalasek » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:46 am

First off happy new year and I love net-chess and greg is awesome. :D Now to my post and this corcerns me so it is proably whining. I logged on and saw my tournament pairings this year I am in first bracket. :) But I am only player in bracket less than 2100 and 2 players less than 2200 and the remaining players are above that. :o So unless acts of God happen I am not gonna make second round of touranment again this year. :cry: So not sure if possible and even if it isnt just though I would like to hear everybodys opinion on whether not people think we should make ratings a factor. Every one should follow my games to see these good players mop the floor with me. With regard to last topic I read should i resign all the games now with respect or should I play til i have just my king than resign?

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:00 pm

The typical rules for pairing a tournament means you'd be facing some pretty tough competition anyway. The problem with using the ratings for pairings in the tournament is that it would result in some people manipulating their ratings so that they could face weaker opponents. Due to the fact that this site is free, it's virtually impossible to make rating manipulation hard or detect.

Don't feel too bad, I've never made it to round two. Nor have I managed to last until all of my pieces were gone either.
Greg Miller

jpalasek

THANKS GREG

Post by jpalasek » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Thanks greg I figured it was something like that i know people who do that in the big money touranments in vegas and it is lame and petty, but true. Well i guess i will take my beatings with grace and diginty. We should play sometime your great guy and thanks for this site that lets me play chess with my dad even though he lives three time zones away.

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:25 am

I'm pretty new to this site, but love it (Thanks, Greg!), and I was noticing myself the disparity in ratings in some of the 2009 Open Tournaments.

My own has ratings from 2748 down to 1746, mine being 2149. The tournament has an average of 2286. I'm closest to dead centre as it turns out. A bit dauting, when I look at the heavy-weights ahead of me, but it certainly makes it challenging!

Assuming the top 2 from each of the 36 tournaments advance, the task seems darn tough to make it to Round 2, but as Greg mentioned, eventually you'd have to face the top rated players anyway.

That being the case, I'd just as soon get it out of the way quickly, and try for an upset or two...who knows?

That's the beauty of the game!

By the way, Good Luck to all participants!

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:09 pm

centre???? Lord typical Canadain!!!! it's Center!

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:35 pm

islanderfan wrote:centre???? Lord typical Canadain!!!! it's Center!
Hey, I'm stuck with the Leafs, remember? Gotta give me a break somewhere!

:(