redrook:poor sportsman

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
bluephantom

redrook:poor sportsman

Post by bluephantom » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:50 pm

Anyone else having a problem with Redrook? He is refusing to move when he is about to be mated in 3 moves.But he is moving in the second game.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:29 pm

What's the game ID? I normally reduce the amount of time remaining so they'll time out soon.
Greg Miller

bluephantom

redrook:poor sportsmanship

Post by bluephantom » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:45 pm

The game number is g1104925282

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:10 am

His last move in that game was only three days ago, and he's got about a million games going, some which he hasn't moved in for a longer period of time. So I'm not ready to call the game abandoned. If he hasn't moved by the end of August, post here again.
Greg Miller

bluephantom

Post by bluephantom » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:08 pm

The fact is that he plays moves on the other game and when I questioned him why he refuses to move, he resuses to answer. I understand where your coming from, but he is purposely refusing to move since he gets mated in 3

ppost

Post by ppost » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:55 am

Bluephantom is right. In my game against redrook (g1104899944), he didn't make a move since more than 2 months!! I have a very winning position, but a lower rating, that's his problem...On the other hand, I don't worry: sooner or later I get the point. But it's bad sportmanship, mr redrook

neilb

Post by neilb » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:16 am

I don't understand the urgency. You choose to play games at a speed you like. That gives players the option to build up time so that they can avoid moving for long periods. I usually play 30+2 and can sometimes build up to around 100 days. I would be very annoyed if I went on holiday for 2 weeks and came back to find out that the game had timed out. I also have periods when I can't really concentrate on games so I delay the ones that I want to think about and keep moving on the ones where I haven't got much time left. In short, play by the rules.

jsnyder

Post by jsnyder » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:46 am

When I had over 100 games going at once, I would go past the ones I was losing at and only come back to them after I had made moves in all my other games, so I could sit and think about them and analyze more.
So where I was making 2 -3 moves a day before I goofed up, I went to 1-2 moves a week at the most when it turned against me.. I guess that means I should take more time at the beginning.. lol but anyhow, live with the time control you choose.
This is the reason why I put all my games at a fairly fast time control. 7 days + 26hours. If I make a move a day, every two weeks I gain an extra think or blah day... most of the games play at an average of 1.5 moves per day. I've also found I've had much fewer people timing out w/o moving at this control. Most people who sign on are serious about playing since its a faster control.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:02 pm

The USCF rules specifically address abandoning a game in progress for an OTB game, but don't specifically adopt the rule for correspondence games. Specifically it says a player can't leave the playing area for 15 minutes without notifying the TD. Since the standard time control for a USCF correspondence game is one move every 7 days, there really isn't much call for a correspondence abandonment rule. But with the time controls used here, it can be an annoyance when someone abandons a game, so some abandonment rule is needed. But it's a lot tougher to determine that a game has been abandoned in CC games than in OTB games.

Generally I only call a game abandoned in a seriously lost position where the user hasn't moved in over a month, and not moving for a month is out of character with the user's previous and current games. Then I normally just reduce the player's time to about 10 days remaining, so they at least have a chance to finish the game in a respectful manner. But this doesn't determine the outcome of the game, since the abandoning side would have most certainly lost anyway.
Greg Miller

jsnyder

Post by jsnyder » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:02 am

Its funny that you don't see someone complain when their opponent is 4-5 moves away from winning and something happens and they don't log in for over a month and 'abandon' the games. :roll:

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:44 am

Hey let's ask cornstalk his view!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bluephantom

Redrook

Post by bluephantom » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:57 am

I am looking at a lot of his games in which it is his turn to move and many he is losing, yet he is sign ed up to play another section. :(

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:45 pm

I sent him a message telling him to either resign or move in all abandoned games. Maybe that will be enough to get him to stop the practice.
Greg Miller

bluephantom

Redrook

Post by bluephantom » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:04 pm

in one of our games, we seem to be even, so offering a draw would be acceptable

bluephantom

re:redrook

Post by bluephantom » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:48 pm

What a surprise, we started another game in another section, he is down a piece and refuses to move again: Game #1104929188

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:03 pm

Greetings All!

I'm having something of the same problem in one game -my opponent shall be nameless- but there's a slight difference. In the Tournament, I have 5 points, and a win against him would give me the tournament victory, and he has three other games remaining (besides the one with me).

He IS moving, but waiting until his last day or so in OUR game, but seems to be moving pretty regularlly in the others. I think he has a logical reason though. He has pretty good positions in two othe the other games, and I surmise that he's waiting to see there outcome: If he wins those three, and offers me a draw (I have only a slight edge), we'd both have 5.5 points.

His lower rating would give him the tournament victory, if we tied.

Nice logic, but I'd love to just play the game out. I'm trying to pair back my games so I can concentrate on the Open games I'm playing as well as a five at one other site. This game just seems to linger, like an albatross around my neck!

I grant him his logical reasn, but it's still annoying...

Opinions, anybody?

cliff

Games removed?

Post by cliff » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:05 pm

Hi Greg.

You've no doubt read my multiple rants about my games with Nightlamp in the 2009 Open.

Well, now he's showing MINUS time, and the games are still not scored. They're my last games in that even, and I'm dying to close them off. Dunno why it's so important to me, but anyway...

Nightlamp does show that he timed out in a game against Leobar in the same match and about the same time his versus me were supposed to time out. Shouldn't his abandoned games againt everyone in that match (m1231702157) time out the same time, more or less?

The games I speak of are: g1104956020 and g1104956021 .

Thanks. Sorry to bug.

ldegli

Post by ldegli » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:23 pm

This abandoning of games isn't just here at net-chess. You name the site, and you'll find the same problem. It bothers me just like it does Cliff. I feel if I've cornered my opponent, and he can't get out of it I deserve the win. When my opponent stops moving I feel like I've been robbed. Doesn't matter that I will get the win in time. I feel as though I've earned it NOW. All this ranting and raving doesn't change anything, but at least it makes me feel better. So, lets get back to our games and appreciate all the good sports that play here. This forum is a great place to get to know each other.

gmiller
Site Admin

Re: Games removed?

Post by gmiller » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:27 am

cliff wrote:Well, now he's showing MINUS time, and the games are still not scored.
The process that checks for timed out games runs just once per day, so times on games will appear negative (or just 0) until the process runs. If a player attempts to make a move when their time is negative, the game will time out immediately.
Greg Miller