introducing myself

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
danielp

introducing myself

Post by danielp » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:28 am

hi all,

i stumbled onto this site and thought i would give it a try. so far i like what i've seen. i've got about 6 games going right now so im not taking on any more at this time. i find if i get too many going, i lose concentration and do poorly. just a couple of quick questions.

is there someplace that gives a list of the top ranked players here?

once you've gone from provisional to an established player are there different tourneys based on rating? or are they all open tourneys?

about me: im 48 yrs old and learned how to play chess along time ago when the fischer craze was at its peak. i'm not a strong player but enjoy the game and like the CC style at it gives me more time to think out my moves.

keep up the good work, i look forward to playing alot here.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:10 am

just be careful of myself and mic. we have been named the problem children of this site!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

energy

Re: introducing myself

Post by energy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:32 pm

danielp wrote: is there someplace that gives a list of the top ranked players here?
Ratings don't mean much here, unfortunately. There's many with 3000 in rating, and had it been possible to get more than that I'm sure we'd have had a race for the first to a million...
danielp wrote: once you've gone from provisional to an established player are there different tourneys based on rating? or are they all open tourneys?
Anyone can create a new tournament, and that anyone will decide if rating is a criteria to join. The only other way to limit participation is to name the players you will allow in the match. IOW, the provisional/established status does not enter into it.
danielp wrote: about me: im 48 yrs old and learned how to play chess along time ago when the fischer craze was at its peak. i'm not a strong player but enjoy the game and like the CC style at it gives me more time to think out my moves.
Good luck! :wink:
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

mic

me problem child???

Post by mic » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:30 am

well once when my mom found me in a ditch...you see I was adopted....my stepdad used to beat me up when I got old enought to fight back...that's why I'm a little wacko when I play chess sometimes....and then there was that one time at band camp...oh, I can't tell that story in this forum...I was thinking of another forum... :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic

mic

energy challenge me

Post by mic » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:41 pm

Mr. Energy:

It would be nice if you challenged me if ratings don't mean that much. My experience on this site is that the better players are either using computer programs to get better answers or they are simply better players. My USCF rating is around 1700...been as high as low 1900's...and In 1975 I placed 3rd in the USCF Amateur Chess Championship in Ariz....went 4-2....lost in round 5 a 9hr game to Dr. John Kelly and was so exhausted in round 6 I lost to a smart aleckie 15 yr old in 15 moves that took 15 minutes.... but, I had fun. Just like this site.

yours in chess,

Mic
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic

redketchuplover

Re: energy challenge me

Post by redketchuplover » Thu May 01, 2008 10:53 am

mic wrote:Mr. Energy:

It would be nice if you challenged me if ratings don't mean that much. My experience on this site is that the better players are either using computer programs to get better answers or they are simply better players. My USCF rating is around 1700...been as high as low 1900's...and In 1975 I placed 3rd in the USCF Amateur Chess Championship in Ariz....went 4-2....lost in round 5 a 9hr game to Dr. John Kelly and was so exhausted in round 6 I lost to a smart aleckie 15 yr old in 15 moves that took 15 minutes.... but, I had fun. Just like this site.

yours in chess,

9hour game? holy cow! I hope you got up every so often.

Mic

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu May 01, 2008 11:27 am

I used to have a "Top Ranked Players" list, but it really just inspired some people to cheat by playing against themselves with several accounts, just to make the list. One of those things where a few spoiled it for everyone.

The ratings here aren't totally worthless, a 2700 player would definitely expect to woop up on a 2200 player. But there's no way to compare your rating here with a rating in any other system.
Greg Miller

marandreo

Re: introducing myself

Post by marandreo » Fri May 02, 2008 4:40 am

danielp wrote: is there someplace that gives a list of the top ranked players here?
Hi daniel,
in the past you could find the list at net-chess.com/ratinglist.cgi. There you could also find how many games have been played by a single player - it's a rough method to evaluate if the player's ranking corresponds - more or less - to his/her actual strength compared with the average here.
Anyway, there are some strong players here (and my experience says they hardly use computers - I dare say they don't at all!) it's a pleasure to play with (I don't say "against"!). I can tell you some, among the few I played, am playing or saw some games: huimre [hello hu!], guillermobrown, ppost, bschardein, katagamsky, eduardosaglione, but anyone could add lots of other players I haven't had the pleasure to play with yet.
danielp wrote: about me: im 48 yrs old and learned how to play chess along time ago when the fischer craze was at its peak. i'm not a strong player but enjoy the game and like the CC style at it gives me more time to think out my moves.
Hey twin, I'm 48 (49 next June), and I too am a Fischer's son!. If you come to Turin, Italy, we can play some crazy :twisted: , fascinating :mrgreen: blitz. Ok?

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri May 02, 2008 10:08 am

I can't believe you never said me :( :( :D

chessgirlwi

Post by chessgirlwi » Fri May 02, 2008 10:13 am

or me???

marandreo

Post by marandreo » Fri May 02, 2008 1:57 pm

ooooooooooppppssss! sorry, it was only a short list ....(ehm ehm!) :oops: . At my age, memory comes and goes ..... :roll: .....we were talking about...?...?...?

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri May 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Or your scared that you won't play me again????!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

marandreo

Post by marandreo » Sat May 03, 2008 5:22 am

Oh my dear friend, you know I took a draconian decision: to play thematic tournaments only. That means I'm exaggerately optimist, hoping that I can learn something from that!!!, but alea iacta est.......... If you find an interesting opening and organize a tournament on it, OK!
Ciao!

mic

mandareo

Post by mic » Sun May 04, 2008 5:50 pm

Don't worry about Islanderfan: I think homeland security patted him down a little too hard when he came through at the airport....he seems to have a jealous side to him. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P :lol: :lol:

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun May 04, 2008 6:09 pm

hey I told em I wasn;t a towel head by I guess the name of Abudllah Smith wouldn't cut it :lol: :lol:

chessgirlwi

Post by chessgirlwi » Sun May 04, 2008 11:26 pm

Yeah islanderfan crazy names like those what cut it.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Mon May 05, 2008 4:54 am

i think we scared Danny off!!!

chessgirlwi

Post by chessgirlwi » Mon May 05, 2008 1:17 pm

Wasnt me it ws all you