Pairings for the Chess Tourney

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
mgomdysey

Pairings for the Chess Tourney

Post by mgomdysey » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi Greg
I was wondering if you could explain how you pick the pairings for the Feb chess tourney that just started? Me and my dad have virtually the same ranking but his group isnt anywhere near as hard as mine :shock: ..so i was wondering how you create the pairings?
Thanks
:D maksim

slowblunder

Your answer can be found looking up the

Post by slowblunder » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:29 am

tournament rules (excerpt):

"Assignment in matches will be totally at random, the player's rating will play no role in match assignment. Sometimes finalists from previous tournaments will be given byes, and/or pairings to make sure they don't play eachother early on."

Good luck to both of you, enjoy!

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Complete randomness. I simply wrote a program to sort the list by name, remove duplicates, shuffle the list, and spit players out 6 per line. Since all of the 2007 finalist received byes, there was no need to make corrections along those lines.

The reason ratings aren't used is because there's no way they can be trusted.
Greg Miller

mgomdysey

Post by mgomdysey » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:02 pm

thanks for answering my guestion :D..although im not amused with who i got stuck playing against..if i win my group can i just be considered the winner? :twisted:
ive got another one for u..how are pairings done for over the board tournaments where it IS based on ratings?
Thanks
maksim
mgomdysey

mekon

Post by mekon » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:29 pm

If you're talking about a Swiss system tournament, which is the most common type in the US: Players are sorted by rating, with the top half playing the bottom half in the first round. In the second round, all the players with one point are sorted by rating and the top half play the bottom half again, while the top half of the players with 0 points play the bottom half. And so on. Pairing can be a lot more complicated than it looks. A good article is at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_system

Hope this helps.