Chess Puzzles and Chess Instruction

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
mgomdysey

Chess Puzzles and Chess Instruction

Post by mgomdysey » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi
I am currently teaching chess at an elementary school and i was wondering if anyone had any places/ideas about where i could find good chess puzzles that i could make copies of to give to the kids..especially just starting level beginners..and also any ideas or tips on what would work best as far as teaching them various things..any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
thanks
mgomdysey
maksim :D

rr

Chess book

Post by rr » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:06 am

Try http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Winning- ... 0879801115

This has tactical puzzles from the most basic to much more advanced ones and will probably be the place to start. It might not be ideal for elementary school but you can have a look and make a more appropriate call.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:56 am

I occasionally help a coworker coach a grade school team. He claims the ones who studied the tactics on this site: http://chess.emrald.net/ actually gained about 200 rating points each.
Greg Miller

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:01 am

Chess Mentor

marandreo

Post by marandreo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:05 am

An old, classical book: Masterpieces of chess, by Dimitrije Bjelica. Combinations grouped "per piece" - maybe not every puzzle for beginners, but ... !!!

langelli

Post by langelli » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:47 pm

Try "Bobby Fisher Teaches Chess." Lots of basic info and lots of illustrations requiring the kids to pencil in moves. It's perfect for beginners weather they be children or adults. :D

mgomdysey

Post by mgomdysey » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:37 pm

Thanks for everyones input and help! Very much appreciated :D
Does anyone have any tips on the best way to work with the kids as far as keeping their attention and getting to learn the chess moves/strategy involved in chess..? They are elementary age..so very hyper!
Thanks for the help
maksim
mgomdysey

marandreo

David in the lions cage - uh hu!

Post by marandreo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Dear Maksim,

I've been teaching chess in school and in our club for almost 30 years and I'm convinced there's only one golden rule - especially for kids: always keep in mind it's a game (NOT A CLASSWORK): they expect from you an amusing hour. Try to keep their attention alive by convincing them chess is the most amazing, incredible WARGAME. Don't be afraid to make them laugh with your phantasy (e.g. a sided Knight may be called "poor little donkey" etc...) ... and don't let their parents put pressure on them to be the strongest - shoot'em (THE PARENTS, NOT THE KIDS!) before!!!!
In a couple of words, try to be the "eldest kid". It'll help you a lot and maybe one day one of your pupils will be Nat'l Youth Champ - LAUGHING!
Good luck!
Mario.