Update on Jeff Jones

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
hamot

Update on Jeff Jones

Post by hamot » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:40 pm

Hi everyone -

I just got off of Instant Messenger with Jeff Jones. He is home for the holidays right now, but is going back next week to the hospice.

His prognosis is not good. He was given only 1-2 more months to live. I asked him what he would like me to tell all of you, and this is what he typed:
Tim: Is there anything you would like me to share with the guys at net-chess?
Jeff Jones: eh just tell them i am home for the holidays and then i go back and from my diagnosis i wont be home again.....
Tim: Bummer, man....how much longer, do you think?
Jeff Jones: 1-2 months ?!
Jeff Jones: from what i hear
He also had this to say....

Jeff Jones: make sure u tell all hi
Jeff Jones: especially jonathan and mike
Tim: Ok, bro....will do.
Jeff Jones: take good care please
Tim: Yes, you too, Jeff.
Jeff Jones: thanks
Not much else to say right now, except to keep Jeff and his family in your prayers. He also shared this with me:

Jeff Jones: mom died labor day
Tim: Oh no....
Tim: I am sorry....
Jeff Jones: yea life is grand
Please post your thoughts and comments to Jeff on this thread. I will give him the link to this thread so that he can read them, or perhaps his brother will print them out and bring them with him to the hospice.

Thanks, my friends,

Tim

mluka

Post by mluka » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:14 am

Jeff,

You sound down, and understandably so. Yet, I find your tone simultaneously appalling and encouraging.
I was under the impression that you were at peace with your situation - if such a thing can really be - but I think that clearly isn't the case.
Life is all about choices. The way I see it, you have two:

1)Take what your doctors say at face value, that you have but 1-2 months to live. After all, they are the experts. They went to school for a damn long time to become oncologists. Accept what they say, internalize it, make their beliefs your own, and try to live out your remaining days as pain-free as possible.
Or
2)Realize that no matter how much these knuckleheads have studied, the fact of the matter is that they don't know as much about their specialty as they would like. For them to know as much as they would like, would mean that they have had a 100% success rate in treating cancer.
Then, realize that they are basing their estimates on other people. How long have these knuckleheads known you? One year? Two? Well, I've known you for seven years. Who knows you better?
I would like to remind you about a story I've told you before, which, based on other conversations we've had, you should damn well know isn't an exaggeration. When I was a kid, my mother had a friend who was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and given six months to live. Years later, she was not only still alive, but she was playing in a tennis league. These doctors are not prognosticators; they cannot foretell the future. Only you can foretell your future.

What I expect of you, Larloch the Mighty, is to shed the negative attitude. Yes, that's the pot calling the kettle black. So I'm a hypocrite. I'm a hypocrite who knows that your mood has more of an effect on your health than most of Western medicine would like to acknowledge. I expect you to tell those knucklehead doctors to take their 1-2 months, and shove it straight up their arses!! Because you're going to approach this, your life's greatest trial, with the same tenacity, ferocity, and vivacity as you have approached chess over the last several months. Cancer is a formidable opponent indeed, but it has never faced you before and doesn't know what a beast it's up against.
At least, that's what the Jeff I know would do. He might get knocked down, sure, but then he'd get back up off the mat and come out fighting. Climb up to that top rope, my friend. I paid to see a wrestling match, and your name's on the marquee.

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:52 pm

I can't top that. Keep on fighting my friend.

herlocksholmes

Post by herlocksholmes » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:51 pm

It is the "can" in cancer that is important. Because cancer CAN be beaten.

I wish you all the best in your darkest hour.

Best regards
Herlocksholmes [/b]

hamot

More from Jeff....

Post by hamot » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:34 pm

Hi again, everyone -

After I made that post last night, I sent Jeff an offline IM. Here is what I said and his response.....
Tim (12/27/2006 7:58:16 PM): Jeff - Could I get your mailing address? I am going to post in the forum to have all the guys mail you some "get well" cards.

Jeff Jones (12/28/2006 4:56:09 PM): hi Tim that's SO nice and id love it !!

Jeffery C. Jones
338 Sisco Road
Pomona Park, FL 32181

thank all the guys and gals at net-chess for me!!
Those of us who know Jeff know that he is very much a "people" person and would REALLY be encouraged by a flood of "Get Well" cards. I know from past experience how much the "regulars" at this site can pull together for a common cause......

Well, here is a good opportunity.......

Let's pull together on this one, guys. As you read in Jeff's message above, it would REALLY mean alot to him. Let's flood his mailbox!

Thanks, guys.

Tim

PS - Don't stop posting your thoughts to Jeff here. Keep those coming, too, as he is still home for the holidays.....

cnita

jjones

Post by cnita » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:06 pm

Hello Jeff,i wish you all the best and a happy new year

billy

You can't leave

Post by billy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:21 am

Jeff buddy, you just can't leave us hanging like this. Forget about the 1-2 month prognosis. You know darn well that GOD doesn't register at Net-Chess and doesn't play the game. I won't let you forfeit the games. If you hang around, I promise to watch It's a Beautiful Life with you.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:31 pm

Jeff,
keep fighting bro you still owe me an . kicking in chess :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but as always I wish you the best and keep fighting, and you'll be back on this site in no time

arnokuhn

Post by arnokuhn » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:48 pm

howzit man

don't know you at all but i can see that you've got some helluva good pals and to use the old cliche " a man is known by his friends". stand strong buddy, remember there was a guy that beat cancer by watching comedies the whole day long - he must've scared the living s**t out of cancer by the way he laughed - they left.

i'm a newbie to this site but in the short while its become my favorite. hang in there man and fight this damn thing

greetings arno :P

sisterofmercy

Post by sisterofmercy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:21 am

Hi Jeff,

In the past we played quite a lot of games. I was fond of playing these with you and I remember you, very well, as one of the most sympathetic players on this website. A highlight to all of us.
I was just checking my account when I read the news about what happened to you. I'm totally horrified and I am hoping, praying and believing you might recover soon, against all the doctor's predictions. I'm truly hoping all the best for you and I'm sure we'll meet again.
Hans

kmcpherson

The Great and the Good!!

Post by kmcpherson » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Hi Jeff,

I hope that the messages posted here reach you in time, I lost a close friend who was diagnosed 5 weeks ago with cancer and given a year to live, she passed away at 61 - 22nd December and I attended the funeral today, at a celebration of her life. The fact you are here is testimony to your fortitude and also a mark of your own wish to be here for us all.
I don't know if you are receiving chemotherapy but you could if time permits look at this and it may offer some chance to reverse the trend.
I only hope that the year 2007 will be more fruitful and bring respite from the mood expressed in your most recent forecast as to your likely return home. May your strength continue unabated and best wishes Jeff.

Kenny

Visit here if you can [/url]http://www.evi3.com/ken[url] If you can e-mail me and time is with ... 4fb0d7ef79[/url]

cornstalk

Sunlight on the garden.

Post by cornstalk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:24 pm

The sunlight on the garden
Hardens and grows cold,
We cannot cage the minute
Within its nets of gold;
When all is told
We cannot beg for pardon.

Our freedom as free lances
Advances towards its end;
The earth compels, upon it
Sonnets and birds descend;
And soon, my friend,
We shall have no time for dances.

The sky was good for flying
Defying the church bells
And every evil iron
Siren and what it tells:
The earth compels,
We are dying, Egypt, dying

And not expecting pardon,
Hardened in heart anew,
But glad to have sat under
Thunder and rain with you,
And grateful too
For sunlight on the garden.

-- Louis MacNeice

jrichner

Jeff Jones

Post by jrichner » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:12 pm

I recently told Jeff that I was using MCO-13 as my only resource. He was utterly appalled and sent me his own MCO-14. The pages are worn and entire sections of the Sicilian and Queen's Gambit are falling out, which I'm sure is no surprise to any of his past opponents. :)

I will treasure the gift to the end of my days.

Jeff, take care my friend. Hope to see you over the board again soon.

Jason

mgomdysey

Post by mgomdysey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:42 pm

Jeff

I enjoyed many, many fun matches and great chats with you over the past couple years that i have the pleasure to play against you..may god bless you and keep fighting my friend!
god bless
mgomdysey
maksim

ajeffries

Jeff Jones

Post by ajeffries » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:02 am

Does anyone have an address where cards or letters can be mailed to Jeff?

diggitus

Post by diggitus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:25 am

Jeff--

not sure if this will reach you. I don't know you; we've never played.

I lost my father to cancer a few months ago.

We were too late to try anything different -- but if you want to roll the dice, there is a place just over the border from San Diego called Sonaviv. They work miracles. A three week session is about a thousand dollars a day.

I can't recommend it strongly enough. Those doctors know what they are doing. The regimen is exhausting and you will eat nothing but greens the whole time.

One guy I knew who went there said he saw a man crawl in, and a week later he was swimming.

We waited too long; my father was too weak to fly, so we drove down in an r.v. It was too late. He used all his strength getting there. I can only wish we would have done it a few weeks before. He passed three days later.

You must follow your heart, of course. But there is always a chance. There is also a place in Germany that I know of. Cancer can be beaten, even end-stage cancer. The counsel of a typical American doctor should be taken with skepticism.

email me: digphillips~at~gmail if you want more information. Best of luck.

Dan Phillips, Seattle

mic

cancer clinic?

Post by mic » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:18 am

diggitus:

can you give me more information on that cancer clinic? is it in TJ...my dad has throat cancer and he cannot take another round of radiation treatment...the last one made him too weak to fight it. i am desperate!!!

With Respect,

mic
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic

mic

cancer clinic?

Post by mic » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:19 am

diggitus:

can you give me more information on that cancer clinic? is it in TJ...my dad has throat cancer and he cannot take another round of radiation treatment...the last one made him too weak to fight it. i am desperate!!!

With Respect,

mic
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic

diggitus

Post by diggitus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:23 am

mic,

so sorry to hear about your father. it is devastating.

here is their website:
http://www.sanoviv.com/

needless to say, the patient has to be willing to work HARD. not enough if the family wants him to.

I can track down the name of the one in Germany if you want. According to my dad, they make you remove all mercury fillings from your mouth before you get there. Since flying was not an option for us, we went this route.

Where does your father live?

I strongly encourage you to check it out. My mother, an RN for thirty years, said they were the most professional hospital she had ever seen.

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:35 pm

Has it been proven???

diggitus

Post by diggitus » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:25 am

proven? I assume you're joking. it's cancer. nothing is proven. but doctors on the cutting edge don't work in America, for a reason that can be summed up in one word: liability.

redketchuplover

Re: Jeff Jones

Post by redketchuplover » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:02 pm

ajeffries wrote:Does anyone have an address where cards or letters can be mailed to Jeff?
scroll up

grotesmurf

Jeff is back

Post by grotesmurf » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:02 pm

I played Jeff for the passed 2 weeks, knowing he enjoys our games and hoping his health is improving. We chat as we did in the past about the old topics. He's the finest American I know.

ajeffries

Jeff Jones

Post by ajeffries » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:59 pm

We have some games and talk everyday but for the last two or three days he has not made a move. Has anyone heard from him.

grotesmurf

Post by grotesmurf » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:40 am

Same with our games, last time he was gone for several weeks. Just hope Jeff comes back soon.

armonchess

We'll be waiting for you, Jeff.

Post by armonchess » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:20 pm

Hey Jeff,

Dont give up, my friend. Dont believe the doctors, just believe in God and yourself. I lost my dad to cancer as well and I know how tough it is, but be strong and never give up. dont even think about it and live your life to the fullest. We all want you back to Net-Chess 3 months from now. so dont let us down and keep us happy. We will all start challenging you soon, so no chickening out, man. :D
Stay strong and dont let anything bother you. Enjoy life and dont let it take over. Show'em whos the boss. You can do it man. Make it go away.

We are all waiting for your comeback.
Armon

hamot

Re: We'll be waiting for you, Jeff.

Post by hamot » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:10 pm

armonchess wrote:Hey Jeff,

Dont give up, my friend. Dont believe the doctors, just believe in God and yourself. I lost my dad to cancer as well and I know how tough it is, but be strong and never give up. dont even think about it and live your life to the fullest. We all want you back to Net-Chess 3 months from now. so dont let us down and keep us happy. We will all start challenging you soon, so no chickening out, man. :D
Stay strong and dont let anything bother you. Enjoy life and dont let it take over. Show'em whos the boss. You can do it man. Make it go away.

We are all waiting for your comeback.
Armon
Armon -

Jeff passed away on Sunday, July 15th. Click on that link to read about it.

Others -

As you can read on this thread, Jeff was loved very much by many here. Please post your condolances on This Page so that his brother Greg can read it.

Thanks, and God Bless,

Tim

kmcpherson

My Buddy Jeff

Post by kmcpherson » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:33 pm

Hi,

No thought's or actions will bring you back to be with us here on net-chess, but my memories of our conversations and games are with me for all of my time. I know from the messages here the high esteem you were held in here. You were a true gent and a chess brother.

I trust your family are at peace and will be thinking of them at this time.

Rest easy and you never gave up, for the eternal game we enjoyed together.

Kenneth McPherson

armonchess

Post by armonchess » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:56 pm

Thanks Tim for your post. I am deeply sad to hear this. My deepest condolenses to his family and everyone at net-chess. He will always be remembered here.
May peace be with Jeff

Armon