Unified World Chess Champion

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
herlocksholmes

Unified World Chess Champion

Post by herlocksholmes » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:58 pm

Congratulations to Vladimir Kramnik on becoming the Unified World Chess Champion.

It is just a pitty that the Topalov team had falsely accused Kramnik of cheating. In the light of this I unfortunately think Topalov will best be remembered as the player "that went down the toilet"

Best regards

Herlocksholmes

hypnoticspecter

The Toilet Controversy

Post by hypnoticspecter » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:59 am

I'm still at a loss about locking the bathroom during the Unified WC Match. I would have thought an official would excort the player to the bathroom, wait by the stall and excort him back to the table.

In any case, I was reading a story in Chess Life about a player beating GM Smirin using some high tech sensory underneath his hat during this year World Open. I won't be surprised if the official start using metal dectectors and spot some sort of hidden chess engines in the near future. Just putting in my $0.02.

cornstalk

Re: Unified World Chess Champion

Post by cornstalk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:46 am

herlocksholmes wrote:Congratulations to Vladimir Kramnik on becoming the Unified World Chess Champion.

It is just a pitty that the Topalov team had falsely accused Kramnik of cheating. In the light of this I unfortunately think Topalov will best be remembered as the player "that went down the toilet"

Best regards

Herlocksholmes
Oh, I don't care so much about the bathroom incident. The much-revered Fischer played equally reprehensible mind games with Spassky; it's an unfortunate part of chess at the very top. I join you in your salute to Kramnik, who showed more guts than I thought he had. But I wouldn't refrain from shaking Topalov's hand, nor from saluting his chess, either.

Having said that, my view is that on the 64 squares, this match was played at an extraordinarily low level. So many blunders, and so many barren variations of the Slav. Most of the chess really was quite revolting.

herlocksholmes

Post by herlocksholmes » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:03 pm

Dear cornstalk,

Topalov is a great player. His conduct away from the board and maybe the advice he chose to follow concerning his conduct away from the board was regretfull. It seems that the controversy is raging on, if the latest press release by Carsten Hensel (dd 28/10/06) is anything to go by.

I am glad that Judit Polgar won Essent 2006 (jointly with Mamedyarov), beating the likes of Topalov. Her performance rating was higher than 3000 ! It would be great if she could be the next challenger for the World Championship.

Best regards,

Herlocksholmes

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:03 pm

herlocksholmes wrote:Dear cornstalk,

Topalov is a great player. His conduct away from the board and maybe the advice he chose to follow concerning his conduct away from the board was regretfull. It seems that the controversy is raging on, if the latest press release by Carsten Hensel (dd 28/10/06) is anything to go by.

I am glad that Judit Polgar won Essent 2006 (jointly with Mamedyarov), beating the likes of Topalov. Her performance rating was higher than 3000 ! It would be great if she could be the next challenger for the World Championship.

Best regards,

Herlocksholmes
I hope she is too :)