Sataan and nwishn are the same???!!!!

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
mic

Sataan and nwishn are the same???!!!!

Post by mic » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:57 pm

I think I found a player who is playing himself to gather pathetic rating points..... Sataan and nwishn are one in the same....your friend and fellow chessissist ...short for breastessess...

Mic :D :D
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic

slowblunder

Have a closer look at both players´ rating histories:

Post by slowblunder » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:59 am

Rating history shows that sataan has resigned in about 75 games vs. nwishn last night - normally he used to loose by time-forfeit without any move (which automatically has no effect on the winner´s rating). So his games vd. nwishn seem to be something special for him.

But these 75 games didn´t change the rating of either player at all, the reason is the rating gap (>700). Five weeks ago the same happened with less games (about 20) and less rating gap, the effect was +40 rating points, not too big in my eyes.

If your assumption is right, I want to add that
- this is not the only case in net-chess where users manipulate their rating,
- there are more intelligent ways to do that than this one (but I won´t go into details, people should find out themselves),
- in one of the other cases the user got bored at some points and apparently left net-chess,
- it seems to be accepted here (at least I have this feeling),
- rating manipulation is a reason to kick users off in other CC sites.

The influence on the own ego seems to be big enough to go through that effort, the influence on other players is minor: They just play a 2200-opponent whose real rating is 1900 (example), so they gain more rating points (win) or lose less (loss).
No big deal in my eyes, if you accept the unsportsmanship behind such action.

shammer

Post by shammer » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:51 pm

i don't mind so much. like you said, if they have an inflated rating i just get more points when i beat them! nobody's impressed anyway, so why bother? there is something a little warped about it though. i wonder what they go through in real life to inflate their self esteem...