New Correspondence Chess World Champion

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
herlocksholmes

New Correspondence Chess World Champion

Post by herlocksholmes » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:11 pm

Congratulations to Ivar Bern from Norway on becoming the new Correspondence Chess World Champion.

Read about his great achievement at:

http://amici.iccf.com/issues/issue_08/i ... art_2.html

Best regards,

Herlocksholmes

pawnder

New Corresponense Chess World Champion

Post by pawnder » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:30 am

Fritz didnt strike me as a Freestyle engine

mic

chess engines????

Post by mic » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:25 am

I know he is a way better player than me....but once we use chess engines....it kind of reminds me of the song, ' In the year 2525' by seger and evans....oh well, to hell with the human brain.....congrats to him. :P :P :P
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic

herlocksholmes

Post by herlocksholmes » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:42 pm

Mic,

What do you mean "to hell with the human brain", to manage and play 150 games at once (as you profess to do, without assistance) you certainly do not use a "chessbase" program do you?

In order to play 150 games at once i accept that you set up the board for every position ( as i would accept a Grandmaster to do) manually in order to make your move, or am i wrong? - btw how long would that take a human to do?

Ok, sorry , you have 150 chess boards at home and you are playing this huge simultanious match, that would astound the world! (call CNN or FOX, they would love it)

Alternatively, you spend at least 5 hours a day in front of your comp (on the chess-net site) in order to make your moves, (whilst on your own version, you hold a full time managerial position)

Get real dude, who do you think you are kidding?

Stop faking it!!

Best regards,

Herlocksholmes

neric

Post by neric » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:16 pm

At the higher levels ALL players are using engines - in fact ALL of the high rated players on slowchess do it also.

Because of that, the advantages negate each other. In the end you have a human (with engine) playing a human (with engine) and the better player scores more points.

Some players just make computer moves without second thought, but those guys always lose to players who come up with own ideas and concepts and use computers to make them bulletproof.

Also it depends a bit on the openings. e4-players need to play more computer moves on average, because of the forced nature of these openings.

The great thing about correspondence chess is that you can play openings at the highest level. I have faced many strong improvements on known theory and I hope I have played some myself also. There is no better way to become a real expert in an opening and really understand what the moveorders are all about. It's also a great lesson in the endgame.

hybriddream

No Need for hostility!!!!!!!

Post by hybriddream » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:35 pm

No need for the Hostility, Herlocksholmes. I understand your reasoning for accusing good ol' mic of using some assistance but I can give some reasoning to why you should give him the benefit of the doubt (doubt from a hasty conclusion I muster, people need to stop complaining and play some chess, some players do use assistance but yet have I seen a chess engine that hasn't been defeated by a human, and on a positive note it does provide some challenge and something to study from not that I condone playing every move with a chess engine). I myself was at one point over 150 games at one time. Now this does not mean I had to make a move for each game everyday, soemtimes I couldn't make one until the warning came that I needed to make one soon. It may be hard to keep up with it but never does it take 5 hours out of my day to make some moves. Now there are alot of games we play against new or mediocre players that bring us to common positions to where it can take from seconds to just mere minutes to chose a move. And then there are those high rated games that we play, now for some of these I do use a manual board to keep up with as very interesting positions arise but for those against the masses I have not had to set up 150 manual boards while I too work my full-time job. Now if someone can keep up with 150 High rated games then I tip my hat off to them. All i ask, Herlocksholmes, my friend, is to give good ol' mic some credit and just continue to play some fun chess, I wouldn't even mind a few challenges but thats neither here nor there unless of, of course, you would be willing to, then I ask, please challenge away. to anyone else who reads this please forgive my ranting and take it for what it's worth from one chess lover to the next.

-In defense of those players who battle day in and day out without assistance-

-Hybrid

herlocksholmes

Post by herlocksholmes » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:09 pm

Dear Neric & Hybrid (and John - if he is reading),

Thank you for your comments.

Good O'll Mic and i have a bit of a history as far as the "chessbase" debate is concerned. In this regard see our various posts in the past.

- In defence of those players who don't fake it -

Best regards

Herlocksholmes